Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree26Likes
  • 17 Post By its cd
  • 1 Post By its cd
  • 2 Post By Mark
  • 6 Post By jonquet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 23:39

Default Winter trip report

I don't usually do trip reports but thought I would this time, if only to show what a great time can be had over a weekend in November sampling excellent value MDDs

Left work at lunchtime on Friday 16th and arrived in PP in time to meet friends for dinner ..... despite an hour or so delay.

After an abortive attempt to eat in Trio who are now opening during the day Tuesday to Sunday with Saturday being their only evening, we ate at El Casinet. We haven't eaten there since it has been reopened and very much enjoyed their 3 course 12euro MDD. Also enjoyed the lovely white wine from Can Vidalet. After our meal we went off to O'Haras to see the Hustlers who were excellent as ever ..... The only disappointment was the midnight curfew and the bar staffs insistence that they could not give us just one more song , despite loud pleas from the assembled crowd.

Saturday saw us wake up late and decide to go for a walk to find some breakfast ...... our stomachs got the better of us and we went in to the first place we found open which was Pascalino ..... I can tell you it has been many years since we have eaten anything from there ..... We had the English breakfast ( yes I do appreciate the lunacy of eating an English breakfast in a Chinese restaurant in Majorca ) ...... Something I hardly ever eat ...... And it was really nice 2 eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, tomato, fixed bread and a drink for 5 euros.

On Saturday afternoon we took a drive to the cap de formentor lighthouse, it is unbelievable that after more than 20 years this was the first time we had done this ...... We have spoken about it loads of times but just never got around to it ...... What a spectacular journey and how great to do the trip with no worries about meeting a coach coming the other way.
Saturday evening we ate in Trio ...... Excellent as always and fantastic value with 3 courses, a half bottle of faustino, a pint of beer, 2 coffee's, 2 liqueurs and change out of 40euros.

Sunday was of course market day in Pollensa, with lunch consisting of a variety of savoury pies and pasties purchased from El Gardiano and eaten on our balcony. We ate far too much and so went for a nice walk down the PineWalk ...... Got soaked and just had to go into 1919 for a coffee with rum to warm up. That evening we decided to try The Galleon as we had heard it would be open. Again we decided to go for the menu of the day and on receiving our starters of vegetable soup with a side of rice for Mr CD and Ravioli for myself thought we were in for a real treat ...... they were both absolutely excellent. We both chose lamb shank for our main course and were both a bit disappointed ...... the meat was rather tasteless and a bit tough and the vegetables which promised so much ...... a spinach and green veg mix that looked gorgeous were over salted. That said, they were edible, so much so that we were both too full to have desert and it was nice to be able to substitute the desert for a cafe con leche ........ The house red that came with the MDD was also excellent ..... Again we left with change from 40 euros

Monday was a day to look at the aftermath from what was some of the ost torrential rain I have ever seen that fell overnight and to sort out some business in the morning. We then went off to Stay to eat an excellent lunch of Hake and chips for Mr CD and vegetable pasta for myself on the terrace in really strong sunshine and marvel at how wonderful the world is when you are in PP

All that remained was to go to the airport in time for a evening flight home and to try not to think about the 6:30am alarm that awaited us for the following day.

Best thing is though ...... A day and a half off work and you feel as though you have had a weeks holiday.

Now all I need to do is work out how to do it every weekend !
pollensa, debz1, sws97sdg and 14 others like this.
Old 21-11-2012, 00:21
Super Moderator

Lovely trip report CD, i am keeping a look out for the pet goat .
Old 21-11-2012, 00:26

Oh Lynn he was so cute
Sparky likes this.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:38

Great report shows what you can do in short time
Old 21-11-2012, 11:41

Nothing short of delightful to read a comestible intake report of such clarity, one might say it fires up ones gastric juices for the next visit.

Thank You
Old 21-11-2012, 13:52

How brilliant to read a Trip Report again! Must admit, that on the rare occasions we've made it to PP out of season, we've never been disappointed.

Just thinking of sitting outdside Stay in the sunshine...........

Thanks for the post.....oh, nostalgia, nostalgia!

Duncan
Old 21-11-2012, 16:49

Super report, we are staying at Galeon this weekend so will try their food and MDD at El Casinet, thanks for the recommendation!
Old 21-11-2012, 18:47

Excellent trip report

Quote:
Originally Posted by its cd View Post
Best thing is though ...... A day and a half off work and you feel as though you have had a weeks holiday.
It's the one time when winter flight schedules with flights that are never on Saturdays are useful as a Friday to Monday would be easy to plan even from the North where flights are few and far between in Winter with no chance of the usual Saturday arrival.

Looking at the rentals Rent Villas Apartments in Puerto Pollensa (Port de Pollenca), Majorca (Mallorca) page now to see if there is anything for a long Winter weekend
Old 21-11-2012, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post

Just thinking of sitting outdside Stay in the sunshine...........

Duncan
An old picture found on Flickr of someone's new year day, looks lovely for the 1st January, Thats winter apparently ( Not my picture)

Port de Pollenca by Gonzobonzo, on Flickr
pollensa and Rosie34 like this.
Old 23-11-2012, 11:07

Just read your trip report cd. Glad you enjoyed El Casinet, every cloud has a silver lining with Trio being closed and we too were pleased that they remembered our favourite wine was from Can Vidalet and brought it to the table without us even asking, ~ we are obviously far too predictable, luckily! You certainly did cram a lot in, the hours were obviously longer that weekend! Keep up the pressure re the fires!
Old 23-11-2012, 12:57

Yes I agree winter days in Poll can be particularly rewarding. Lunches at Stay,low sun ,flat calm water a beautiful stillness in the air,a perfect winter pick me up!
We have taken a picnic to CSV sat on the beach,no-one else there but the crashing waves and a lovely winter sun,all you need is a cardigan!
The spring and summer in PP is special we all know that but take in as much winter as you can its worth it.