Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   What do you think of..... (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/9488-what-do-you-think.html)

Bootledodger 30-10-2012 14:32

What do you think of.....

Spanish waiting staff?
The reason I ask is a woman I use to work with stopped going to Spain due to the rude attitude of Spanish waitering staff.
I use to argue with her - but over the last year or so I have consiously "looked out" for it to see if there is anything to it.
I think there is a bit of a mixed bag....just got back from a week at the Daina - all the staff there were excellent.
I stopped going the Grand cafe years ago 'cos i wasn't happy with the attitude of the staff (I didn't tell the girl in work that tho' :rolleyes:) - but went last week - attitude of male staff was awful.
Visited the new Mar calma hotel/bar /restaurant on 3 occasions (Prawns starter out of this world) - the young waitress was superb.
Es Casinet - so, so (enjoyed food tho').
Went to PSoller, Palma & Inca and staff there were all good.
What do people think?
Also what are your views on tipping - i usually leave a minimum of 10% upto 15% - but might amend that in future if service is snotty!!!
Just remembered - went to Tribeca - starters lovely, steak a bit tough....but the attitude of british owner was very poor, altough see was all smiles with regulars!

cumberland8 30-10-2012 14:54

Wow! box of fireworks for Nov the 5th that's what I think.

sws97sdg 30-10-2012 17:20

Well IMHO the Spanish as a nation are some of the most friendly people you could ever wish to meet, which is why so many of us keep going back I think.

From the minute we step off the plane, form the first barman in Palma or bus driver, to the bar staff, waiters, waitresses, taxi drivers, police to the staff on the desks on the way back we always comment how friendly and welcoming they are. The fact is, you do notice more if they are not be cause everyone else is so!

As for tipping we go with 10% though to be honest from what we have seen not many people tip at all or as much, it would be interesting to hear views!!

Gommar Goffer 30-10-2012 17:43

On the whole I think that the majority of waiting staff are very good, friendly and attentive.

You will always get the odd one who's having a bad day/time and I am sure that if we ourselves are having a bit of a bad day then we tend to see the worst in others.

I can't think of any particular bad experiences recently.

Re tipping - we brits tend to go with 10% but I think the Spanish tend to tip less - often just what loose change they have in their pockets. In the end it is up to you as to what you think your experience was worth:D

Rosie34 30-10-2012 17:46

Our own experience is that whichever restaurant we go to, the service is always friendly and efficient and we normally leave about 10% tip. We commented when we were there earlier this month that PP is such a friendly town and everyone we meet or even just pass in the street seems to say Hola and smile:) And when I had to go to the Pollensa police station to report my stolen purse, all the policemen I spoke to were so helpful and sympathetic. I think I did comment a year ago on one restaurant where both the service and food were appalling but that is about the only time I can remember:)

copper 30-10-2012 20:38

Really good Taxi Drivers ( have had some shockers in Greece) !

Shop staff very good Good friendly service in the bars Mainly really pleasant service in the restaurants ( offered to move our table for us in Brisa marina as football was on ) Only bad service ( Awful in fact !!) was Tolos and those waiters werent Spanish !!!!!!
Normally 10% tip More if great value and service

joelise80 30-10-2012 21:52

Noticed a big difference in the people we came across in Puerto Soller this summer in comparison to PP, we found the Sollerics uncommunicative and surly. I often go out for a walk in PP at sunrise and exchange plenty of bon dia's, in Puerto Soller not a single one :eek: also several uncomplementary conversations overheard about guests in Mallorquin which surprised me as they can not have realised some of us can understand more than we let on ;)
Anyway back to PP and we try and tip 10% or round up to the nearest note and on vists this year Hell's Kitchen and Citrus have tried to give us the tips back. We thought that people can not have been tipping as much as in previous years as we were often thanked profusely by staff and we certainly were not over tipping.
So not going back to stay in Soller, although would go back to visit during the day, and can not wait to be back in PP in May.

pollensafan 31-10-2012 09:50

I always find the staff second to none in the places i eat. Possibly because unlike english waiters/waitresses, the spanish see the job as a vocation and not menial work. As for tipping it brings back to mind, the tale I told some time ago. Paid the 50euro bill in the can ferra and left a 7 euro tip. As I left the restaraunt the waiter called me back to point out he had undercharged me 1 euro. For once in my life i was lost for words.:confused: On the odd occasion I have encountered rude staff the solution is simple,,,no tip and they never get anymore custom.

whaleywanderer 31-10-2012 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by copper (Post 77349)
Really good Taxi Drivers ( have had some shockers in Greece) !
Only bad service ( Awful in fact !!) was Tolos and those waiters werent Spanish !!!!!!
Normally 10% tip More if great value and service

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. 2 years ago I was raving about how good Tolo's was, the quality of food was exceptional and the waiters very polite and attentive. I really don't know what's happened but the quality of food has really declined and would now say it was just mediocre, the service is slow and more often than not, you have to go looking for a waiter, either to take your order or to pay your bill! There are so many good restaurants that I now take my custom elsewhere. Very disappointed :(

Deanscroft 01-11-2012 10:21

As a sweeping generallisation - In my experience there is a world of difference in the attitude of the Spanish (helpful and friendly) as against the Mallorcan/Catalan (aloof boardering on rude)!!!!!

clinkham 01-11-2012 22:02

One of those times when you wish you could string a few Spanish words together..... I could tell by the tone of his voice that he wasn't happy - though the local lady behind me in the queue was winding him up, it would seem, at my expense. Pretty sure that stupid tourist figured in her verbal onslaught/conversation with the cashier at the petrol station opposite Eroski.

I was in apologetic grovel mode, trying to explain to the cashier that I had split some diesel on his pristine forecourt and did he have any sand (there was none by the pumps as is usual in the UK) to mop up the mess.

All I got was rolling eyes and, I'm pretty sure, some waving of arms.

Seeing a hole opening up, I stopped digging and beat a hasty retreat.

Of course, their opinion of me was confirmed when I tried to get in the wrong side of the car to drive off....:confused: