Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-10-2012, 11:51

Smile Trip report 1-15 October - a bit long-winded

Apologies for the length of this report – I just sort of got carried away!

We had a lovely couple of weeks with excellent weather, apart from the spectacular storm on the final Sunday night and torrential downpour as we were leaving early on Monday – thank goodness for the underground garage!
We had a really enjoyable meet-up with Animagic and her husband Bob, and Gommer Goffer and chatted for a couple of hours about all sorts – not just PP! We then left them and went for a delicious lunch at Capri- sitting right at the water’s edge – a Prawn/Avocado salad for me and Lobster salad for my husband.

We also had a day out in the mountains re-visiting a little Italian bistro in Estellencs where the food is very so-so but the views from the little terrace are breathtaking – we were the only people there.

And we did a run up to La Victoria and although we didn’t eat there this time – it is definitely on our list for next year – fabulous location!

The only downside to the holiday was when I discovered that my purse had been stolen in the market in the old town on the first Sunday morning. I didn’t discover what had happened till we got to the little bread shop in the way back to the car and it wasn’t in my ‘still zipped up’ handbag. I am so paranoid about security and keeping ones hand on ones holiday money, that I just couldn’t believe it had happened to me!! I was so angry that the b******s had got the better of me – lost cash, credit card, debit card and worst of all my little purse which had been a present from my mum many years ago. So that meant a visit to the police station to report it – but I have to say how kind, helpful and sympathetic all the police were – I think I was expecting a sort of ‘ well, what do you expect’ attitude – but no, they were all lovely and helpful. So that did restore my faith a little bit!

So back to the good bits and the eating part!

On our first night we were so knacked after the stupid o clock start that we just got a supermarket pizza to eat in.

So the next night we headed straight for Citrus – but it was obviously a Scotland match so we diverted to Bella Vista.

Just so relaxing and laid back with the fairy lights in the trees and the candles all around and the friendly welcome. Remembering just how filling the meals here are, we order Spring Rolls to share (after the gorgeous bread and alioli) and then I had the moussaka and he had the noodles, both of which were just to die for and totalling filling. With my glass of wine, water and coffee it came to about 41E, and was the perfect start to our holiday.

The next night – off to Citrus and another warm welcome from Maureen – so Citrus salads to start with and then my perfect ‘Kenny’ steak – just pink in the middle and OH had his favourite slow cooked lamb – 2 red wines for me and water and coffee and the most enormous complimentary Cointreau – 47E. (I have to admit that as Maureen’s glasses of wine are extra large and then the Cointreau – well I was really a bit tipsy that night – or as my OH said that I said ‘a tit bipsy’ – I cannot prove or disprove this as I cannot really remember!!

So as we had passed Can Torrens the night before and notice that my favourite Lomo con Col was on their MDD, we decided to give it a try. But it wasn’t on the MDD that night so I ordered it from the ALC but then it wasn’t available there as ‘they couldn’t get any cabbage’ so I ordered a plain grilled chicken breast. I had frito to start which was ok, and OH had the mussels and he had the sole for the main, which he enjoyed. But, oh dear, the chicken breast – just 3 slices of thin, dry chicken – not good at all – I mean, how can you ruin a plain chicken breast. With one measly glass of wine and water the bill was a whopping 49E – never again! Well, maybe we will try again but stick to the MDD.

Then the next evening – our old trusted favourite – Trio. This place never changes either in staff or enormous menu with so many choices and such good value at 15.90E including wine etc. I had a delicious Caprese salad, pork in pepper sauce and the sole for husband. Followed by lemon mousse for me and strawberries in orange juice for him. We just love going there – it just so comforting knowing that the food and service will be consistently good – and their warm ciabatta rolls with alioli are the very best!

A while ago there was mention of Brisa Marina on the forum so we decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed! Delicious salad to start followed by chicken breast/mushroom sauce for me (Ca’n Torrens could learn a few lessons on how to cook a chicken breast!!), and John Dory for OH, followed by chocolate mousse and crème caramel, including wine, coffee etc – about 41E. Excellent friendly service – although I did find it a bit disconcerting as one waiter insisted on winking at me every time he came to our table – but it may have been a twitch, or perhaps he thinks that the English ladies like this!! But it gave us a laugh!

Next night the Golden Lion. Now I don’t know what possessed us but we saw their special of a Barbequed mixed grill at 13.75E and as we haven’t had a mixed grill since the 70’s, we ordered this. OMG – what a plateful – whole chicken breast (cooked beautifully), steak, pork chop, sausage, fried egg, and chips – oh and a little bit of soggy salad. It was delicious really but totally over-facing – still our own fault for being greedy! Once again, the service was excellent and friendly and the bill came to 29E inc wine, water, coffee etc. But next time we will stick to a sensible choice.

As the next day was our wedding anniversary I booked a table at Stay. We have never been here before but after reading so many good reports, we had to try it. We were given a table outside overlooking the bay just as it was getting dark and all the lights were twinkling along the coastline – lovely. The bread was just about ok but the little (is it an amuse bouche) offering in a small glass which tasted like cold tomato soup with cream on top – not for me!) The menu was very extensive but what surprised me was that if you don’t like fish (and I don’t) then there wasn’t a lot of choice. The MDD included Lamb (don’t eat), Turkey (don’t eat) and fish so I chose from the ALC. Excellent salad to start and Pork in Calvados for my main – absolutely delicious! Husband had the MDD with Calamares Mallorcan style to start and the Hake and Apple pie and ice cream. I had the half bottle of wine which came with the MDD (well I didn’t drink the whole half – learned my lesson earlier!) The verdict is that the food was very good, the service professional and efficient, but I would prefer to see more choice for vegetarians and non fish eaters on the menu – or did I miss something? But certainly worth a second visit – I can always have the pork again. Bill came to 62E.

Then second visit to Citrus and another excellent meal – steak for him and after the chicken tempura starter, I had the most delicious vegetarian pasta dish ever – with a subtle chilli kick – just to die for! OH had the tomato and basil soup to start. I went easy on the wine this time – just one glass of white (Maureen did explain that the red is 14% proof which explains a lot!) – and I am a lightweight drinker anyway.

Then second visit to Bellavista – we shared the spring rolls and then he had soy hamburger and chips (declared excellent) and I had the roasted veggie pizza – probably the largest one I have ever seen! It was delicious but I was full half way through and couldn’t finish it regrettably. Bill with wine water, coffee etc was about 35E

Then a farewell visit to Trio for another great meal – mussels, Caprese salad again, pork escalope, sea bass, lemon mousse, cake/ice cream, wine, water, coffee – 35E

Then our last night was back to Brisa Marina for another excellent meal but forgot to jot a note down on what we had (although I can remember that OH had the John Dorey again) – but it was delicious and this restaurant will certainly become one of our favourites from now on!!

We did note that most of the places we ate were really quite busy so that must be good for everyone, although we did notice walking back to the apartment that Migeluon was usually rather quiet, and Simbads was always packed – why??? Our only experience there was not one we would wish to repeat!!

Now looking forward to next May/June ………………….
debz1, sws97sdg, Mark and 10 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 20-10-2012, 12:31
Super Moderator

Excellent trip report Rosie, i enjoyed reading it but so sorry you had your purse stolen.
Old 20-10-2012, 13:56

Great report Rosie. it sounds as if you had a great holiday apart from the purse bit

I think you may have missed this section from the Stay a la carte menu It seems to be fairly extensive and they would always change or omit a sauce if you asked. I also know from my experience. as my daughter in law is a vegetarian. that they will prepare a veggie option on request

Sliced Chicken Breast in a Cream Sauce with Mushrooms on Puff-Pastry

Roasted Duckling Breast with a Green Pepper Sauce

Escalopes of Pork Fillet with Apples and Calvados Sauce

Guinea fowl with champagne and foie-gras sauce

Roast leg of majorcan lamb

Roasted veal kidneys with garlic and sherry sauce

“ strogonoff “ from tenderloin, young beef from asturias

grilled young beef sirloin-steak from asturias with seasonal mushroom sauce

grilled fillet of young beef from asturias (not always available)

Last edited by debz1; 20-10-2012 at 14:51. Reason: typo
Old 20-10-2012, 14:43

Thanks Debz - but I did see that selection and the only things I would eat from it were the Chicken or Pork! I am not really a fussy eater (honestly!) but I dont want the young beef (which I presume is veal) I dont like duck or guinea fowl and dont eat lamb. But the Pork in Calvados was delicious
lollipop likes this.
Old 20-10-2012, 17:06

Excellent report Rosie and as a non meat and poultry eater can confirm that Stay will always find something for you if you have a word.
Agree Trios is excellent value and great choice and great food too. Plus they are always so happy to see you there and make you feel welcome.
Also agree with your view of Sinbads. Have tried a good half dozen times and each time disappointed and stating never again. Will keep to our promise in future and not return. Have only gone back with friends and felt the pressure!. Plus the waitress is just too over familiar with the men in the party for my liking. Touch if you intend to take away but please don't get my hopes up! lol And as for that flipping bird -poor thing!
So sorry you had your purse taken. That is really the pits! These people are just so clever it is a pity that their intelligence isn't directed into something that is legal! Glad to hear the police were helpful though.
Rosie34 likes this.

Last edited by eleanor; 20-10-2012 at 17:09. Reason: typo
Old 20-10-2012, 18:33

A joy to read Rosie, clear ,concise beautifully written comestible report.

Thank You
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 22-10-2012, 10:15

Hi, Just a point about the waiter in the brisa's. I can assure you he is not winking at the ladies its a nervous twitch.
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 22-10-2012, 11:14

I think Stay are missing out by not advertising vegetarian options on the menus, lots of people, us including like going around and browsing the outside menus to see what places have on the menus before choosing where to eat, as vegetarians we have too.
And I don't think it is good enough for them to say they can 'rustle' up something for us is we ask, I don't wont to ask and I want them to take the time to come up with interesting veggie options with the same thought as non veggie, so many other restaurants are now doing this is the port, why cant they!
Just my opinion!
Doogz1874, Sparky, Rosie34 and 1 others like this.

On island time!!
Old 22-10-2012, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
Thanks Debz - but I did see that selection and the only things I would eat from it were the Chicken or Pork! I am not really a fussy eater (honestly!) but I dont want the young beef (which I presume is veal) I dont like duck or guinea fowl and dont eat lamb. But the Pork in Calvados was delicious
To be honest I can't say I ever really worry about this sort of thing myself -but seeing your comment did get me thinking: Firstly, I do wonder if "young beef" is a convenient mistranslation/euphemism to avoid the more controversial 'veal', and secondly exactly what have I been eating !
So I did a little research: In the past I've had beef in Spain that has either been described as Veal or "Young beef" - its always been very nice but much darker in colour and "beefier" than the what is traditionally served as veal in Italian restaurants. I just assumed that this was the Spanish version of 'Rose Veal' (or 'Ethical Veal' - where in the UK calves are raised in association with the UK RSPCA's Freedom Food program) and it seems I was almost right - the Asturian beef is actually 'Free-raised veal' where calves are raised in the pasture and have unlimited access to mother’s milk and pasture grasses. (I'm not suggesting they have a great life but it is much better than the alternative for male dairy calves.)
There a 3 types of Asturian beef: 'Ternera Culón' under 12 months, 'Añojo Culón' & 'Añojo': both 12-18 months. I'm sure if you ask in Stay (or any restaurant) they will be happy to tell you which they are serving:
This won't make any changes to what I order in restaurants but just thought I'd post this so that anyone who is in doubt can hopefully ask the right questions to make a more informed decision.
debz1, sws97sdg, Sparky and 4 others like this.
Old 22-10-2012, 13:11

So sorry to hear of your theft - there but for the grace of God etc!

The waiter at Brisa Matrina is the younger of the two Franciscos, and a more charming chap you could not wish to meet. Many years ago he was a very shy, nervous individual who has blossomed into a great character and a lovely guy. I too assure you that the "wink" is no more than a mannerism.

So glad you enjoyed Brisa Marina - I so often recommend it. It will be interesting to return next year to the greatrly enlarged restaurant, though I'm sure the freindly welcome and excellent service will remain. Could you possibly imagine a UK restaurant operating with so few waiting staff? Don'r know what work is, do we!!!

Duncan
pollensafan likes this.
Old 22-10-2012, 19:12

Thanks for explaining 'the winker' - it didnt bother me at all - just made us smile The food and value was very good, and the service was excellent and friendly and efficient and it will certainly now be one of our favourites
Old 22-10-2012, 21:29

Hi Rosie, it was great to meet up with you as well! We're glad you had a lovely holiday. Have just got home tonight after our 3 week stay, had a great time as usual! Sparky.....sorry we missed you on the day we met Rosie & Gommer Gaffer...returning in Jan so hope to see you then!
Sparky likes this.
Old 23-10-2012, 09:19

Hi again AniM Yes - it was good to meet up with you and Bob and GG and to find we had so much to talk about - and not just PP We've been back a week now and it seems like we were never away Have a great Jan trip. Was there something I was going to PM you about - I can't remember now
Old 23-10-2012, 09:53

Fantastic review, Rosie! I'm delighted that you liked Brisa Marina - it is one of our favourites too. I suspect after their renovations it will become extremely popular as it is definitely one of the friendliest places, and the best value for money. Their fish/soups/salad are always of really high quality. Am looking forward to trying them again when we arrive on Saturday - it's always our 'first PP meal' destination! Was interested to hear your positive comments about Capri - will definitely be giving that a try, as the location is so great.
pollensafan and Rosie34 like this.
Old 23-10-2012, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
So sorry to hear of your theft - there but for the grace of God etc!

The waiter at Brisa Matrina is the younger of the two Franciscos, and a more charming chap you could not wish to meet. Many years ago he was a very shy, nervous individual who has blossomed into a great character and a lovely guy. I too assure you that the "wink" is no more than a mannerism.

So glad you enjoyed Brisa Marina - I so often recommend it. It will be interesting to return next year to the greatrly enlarged restaurant, though I'm sure the freindly welcome and excellent service will remain. Could you possibly imagine a UK restaurant operating with so few waiting staff? Don'r know what work is, do we!!!

Duncan
....... I wonder with the bigger extension will they be looking for a third Fransisco!