Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-10-2012, 14:13

Default El posito

We ate at El Posito recently during our annual Autumn visit.
Coincidentally,we were given the exact same table from the previous year -perhaps they remembered us.
We ordered a bottle of red.15.5E and very good.
Bread and olives/ali oli.The olives were poor.It's not difficult to get a decent olive in Spain is it? Everywhere else had perfectly decent olives.
We were handed the "chefs recommendations" menu.I was happy to order the lamb from that menu but my wife wanted something from the main menu.Chicken she wanted.The waiter said he would go and see what the "chef" could do for her,as if she'd asked for something out of the ordinary.Now,called me old fashioned,but shouldn't we have been shown the main menu in the first place,rather than,what appeared to be,an attempt to order what they wanted us to order.We both muttered under our breaths that it had been a poor start.
Anyway,my lamb came.I'll describe what was on my plate:
The lamb -a piece of leg joint.It was ok.
A potato,boiled and sliced in 5 pieces with a blob of piri-piri on each slice.
Half a mushroom,cut in two.
A slice of tomato.
Two little piles of lukewarm tinned carrots and green beans.
A slice of apple -yes apple.

On her plate:
Half a chicken breast,cut in strips.
The same veg etc as mine.
Three slices of peach -yes peach.

It was presented as if a young schoolchild had been told to make the dinner.
The service was,as it always is,rushed.
I'm sorry to say that,other than in a certain Indian restaurant,it was the poorest meal I've had in PP in the 10 holidays we've taken there.
There's far too much choice to take the risk of eating there again.
Sponsored Links
Old 18-10-2012, 14:20

Hi Stephen, what time of day did you go, was the menu they first offered the MDD?

On island time!!
Old 18-10-2012, 14:57

Should it really matter what time of day you go? poor food is poor food simples. always have given this place a wide berth but everyone is different.
Old 18-10-2012, 15:23

We have never eaten in El Posito other than at lunch times and it is always busy with locals and tourists alike. However, having said that we have not felt we were being rushed and for 10 euros you get 3 courses of good local food plus wine. The meals we have had have always been well cooked and plentiful.
Doogz1874 likes this.
Old 18-10-2012, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1 View Post
Should it really matter what time of day you go? poor food is poor food simples. always have given this place a wide berth but everyone is different.
My question was regarding the menu not the quality of food, I just wondered if it was at lunch time when as Tonsyl said it is busy with people having the MDD!

On island time!!
Old 18-10-2012, 16:01

Default El Posito

I have to say unfortunately we agree with you. We went there in the evening and it was virtually empty, that didnt put us off but again we were offered chefs recommendations first, l had tumbet which was delicious and then l had the fillet of beef (leg with a port wine jus. I was really disappointed with that, the sauce was really watery and very poor vegetables, cannt understand that as the tumbet was delicious. We didnt order sweets and tony really seemed to take offence at that and seemed to lose interest in us. Not sure why as the bill came to approx E60 and l would have thought that was good on a mid week and virtually empty restaurant. They really seemed to hurry us through the courses hence the reason we didnt have desserts so come on El Posito, get back to where you used to be as there are plent of good and friendly restaurants in PP.
Old 18-10-2012, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
My question was regarding the menu not the quality of food, I just wondered if it was at lunch time when as Tonsyl said it is busy with people having the MDD!
Oh so sorry for posting a negatve remark so i wll change it it shouldnt matter what time of day or how busy it is service should be good.....is that more to your liking?
Old 19-10-2012, 00:02

It was about 8.15pm.It was a short menu of about 5 or 6 choices.
Irrespective of that,there is no excuse for the standard of the meal we were served.
Old 19-10-2012, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It was about 8.15pm.It was a short menu of about 5 or 6 choices.
Irrespective of that,there is no excuse for the standard of the meal we were served.
Sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your experience at El Posito - It's one of our favourite restaurants and we've loved every visit: Each year I probably spend more time eating with Toni & Zak than I do with my own parents (Just to be clear that's meant as a positive reflection on the restaurant rather than a negative on my parents !)

It is (as sws97 has hinted at) almost 2 distinct restaurants much like the set-up with La Llonja/La Cantina:
At lunchtime it’s almost the PP staff kitchen with a high turnover of (mainly) locals looking to take advantage of the excellent value MDD and then quickly head back to work.
At night it is (or should be) a more relaxed restaurant offering excellent Mallorcan cuisine:
I think I remember a similar complaint earlier this year and it was suggested that the staff sometimes struggle to wind down from the pace of lunchtime service.
Certainly, there are times when the staff are rushing about a bit but I can't say that we've ever felt rushed ..... most times we're still there long after finishing our meal, chatting with Lyn at the bar and waving the chef goodnight when he leaves.

We have often joked about the set-up re the menus: it is as if the chefs recommendations are the main menu, but we've always been happy to go with something from that or the specials board -
Our theory being if the chef recommends something or has it as 'special' then it'll be good:
(I can't even remember the last time Toni even brought us the full menu - in fact he really doesn't need to bring anything as we usually know what we want within a couple of seconds of reviewing the specials on the blackboard.)
Obviously this won't suit everyone - actually my parents had a similar problem when they visited last summer as my Dad is a bit fussy and can struggle to find something he wants of a limited menu. However, I'm happier with a small menu where you can be confident that everything is fresh rather than getting your meal via the freezer & microwave.

We've never had an issue with the quality of the food ... but must admit I wouldn't have enjoyed the fruit with the mains: I can just about manage some of the healthy fruit stuff if it’s served with ice cream but I don't want any with my mains - however, if you google "Chicken & Peaches" or "Lamb & apple" you will find a number of recipes .... not my sort of thing but someone obviously thinks they can be good flavour combinations.

You’re quite right though there are plenty of other excellent restaurants available so if you have a bad experience somewhere then you’re unlikely to return.
(I assume you must have enjoyed your visit the previous time). But I would urge anyone who hasn’t been to El Posito themselves not to dismiss the restaurant based on these negative comments alone – if you check this site there are plenty of positive comments for this restaurant too.

Incidentally Rangers1: you may like the owner Toni I'm sure he used to be a Rangers fan.
sws97sdg and cherylbb like this.
Old 19-10-2012, 14:29

Have to agree that the place has gone down hill over the past couple of years. Used to be one of favorite restaurants & visited regular, but did not even go once on our last visit to PP. As stated there is plenty of other places to choose from if peoples standard's & service slip.
Old 19-10-2012, 14:41

Default El position

Went for the first. Time ever this week. It was probably the best meal we have ever eaten in PP. and we've eaten at most of the places reviewed on the site. Tasty, authentic, freshly prepared. And Toni was a joy.
Graham
Doogz1874 likes this.
Old 19-10-2012, 15:18

graham
Am I correct in saying you are a resident in PP?
It seems a bit odd,given that it's so good,in your opinion,that you've never eaten at El Posito before.
The best meal ever?.....better than everywhere else?...ever?
Old 19-10-2012, 16:06

No, I'm not a resident.

And yes it was the best I've eaten in the area.

Graham
Old 19-10-2012, 21:11

Default El Posito

I've been visiting this restaurant for many years and find all the various comments interesting, but one thing i would never fault is the food, i've always found it to be of a very high standard, and love the idea of the mini menu/blackboard as this consists solely of locally sourced fresh produce, definately not the case with a lot of restaurants in PP these days.

Yes, there are a few problems to be ironed out, but Toni always strives to make sure his customers get the best, you've just got to be on the same wavelength as him sometimes. Everybody should go to any restaurant and expect the best, righty so, but if things aren't up to expectations, sort it out on the spot. Service to fast? Ask them to slow down, and bring it back when your ready. Some items you're not happy with? Politely send it back, until you get what you want. If restaurants aren't getting it right, and they're geniunely trying, they deserve a opportunity to put things right, ones who aren't trying , deserve nothing.
Old 19-10-2012, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogz1874 View Post
Sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your experience at El Posito - It's one of our favourite restaurants and we've loved every visit: Each year I probably spend more time eating with Toni & Zak than I do with my own parents (Just to be clear that's meant as a positive reflection on the restaurant rather than a negative on my parents !)

It is (as sws97 has hinted at) almost 2 distinct restaurants much like the set-up with La Llonja/La Cantina:
At lunchtime it’s almost the PP staff kitchen with a high turnover of (mainly) locals looking to take advantage of the excellent value MDD and then quickly head back to work.
At night it is (or should be) a more relaxed restaurant offering excellent Mallorcan cuisine:
I think I remember a similar complaint earlier this year and it was suggested that the staff sometimes struggle to wind down from the pace of lunchtime service.
Certainly, there are times when the staff are rushing about a bit but I can't say that we've ever felt rushed ..... most times we're still there long after finishing our meal, chatting with Lyn at the bar and waving the chef goodnight when he leaves.

We have often joked about the set-up re the menus: it is as if the chefs recommendations are the main menu, but we've always been happy to go with something from that or the specials board -
Our theory being if the chef recommends something or has it as 'special' then it'll be good:
(I can't even remember the last time Toni even brought us the full menu - in fact he really doesn't need to bring anything as we usually know what we want within a couple of seconds of reviewing the specials on the blackboard.)
Obviously this won't suit everyone - actually my parents had a similar problem when they visited last summer as my Dad is a bit fussy and can struggle to find something he wants of a limited menu. However, I'm happier with a small menu where you can be confident that everything is fresh rather than getting your meal via the freezer & microwave.

We've never had an issue with the quality of the food ... but must admit I wouldn't have enjoyed the fruit with the mains: I can just about manage some of the healthy fruit stuff if it’s served with ice cream but I don't want any with my mains - however, if you google "Chicken & Peaches" or "Lamb & apple" you will find a number of recipes .... not my sort of thing but someone obviously thinks they can be good flavour combinations.

You’re quite right though there are plenty of other excellent restaurants available so if you have a bad experience somewhere then you’re unlikely to return.
(I assume you must have enjoyed your visit the previous time). But I would urge anyone who hasn’t been to El Posito themselves not to dismiss the restaurant based on these negative comments alone – if you check this site there are plenty of positive comments for this restaurant too.

Incidentally Rangers1: you may like the owner Toni I'm sure he used to be a Rangers fan.
Sorry but the wrong Rangers not the one in scotland but a very old non-league club in the midlands so im sure he wont support my team.