Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-06-2006, 02:33
bonzo26

Default 28 days of gluttony

Returned from our annual pilgramage to Pollensa recently and we were lucky enough to be able to stay for a month this time - late April to late May. My wife and I are both "oldies" - 60 this year - and one of our great pleasures is eating out. In fact we did not cook any meals in the villa this year except the occasional egg for breakfast.

I want to say how useful we found the restaurant recommendations on this board and without the advice from here we would have missed some real gems - thank you everybody for contributing.

We started as usual on our arrival night with the Balaixa where Arnie and Mandy greeted us warmly as always. The Balaixa saw us at least three times a week for either lunch or dinner and we paricularly enjoyed the party atmosphere that Arnie created when we had a big group of friends and our sons with partners to join us. I do understand that some people may be put off by the presence of the animals but have to say that it does not worry us - in fact we became very great friends with Frankie (the soon to be very Great Dane) and the ginger cat without a name - now adopted by Debs. We followed the drama of the acquisition and development of the Cala San Vicente branch of the Balaixa brand and admired the courage, determination and initiative of Arnie and Mandy as they did so.

On our last night as we sat outside in the glorious evening sun at the Balaixa, just as my steak was served, a geko fell from the canopy right into my sauce and splattered me completely with gravy! The frightened geko then ran onto me and down my open neck shirt, finally lodging himself around my waist band. Arnie and Ma were marvellous in looking after me and even offered me one of Arnie's shirts to wear to replace my gravy spattered one - they could not have been more considerate. As Arnie remarked, he did not know how much to charge me as "Geko" did not yet feature on the menu!

Other favourite venues included Can Costa in Pollenca, that we had not heard of until reading this board. We had dinner there a couple of times, met the English owners and were introduced to the chef. The food was superb; service immaculate but lacked atmosphere as on both occasions it was very quiet. I am sure it must really buzz in high season.

Also visited after reading about it here was Es Convent at Alcudia. Very different in style to Can Costa, and certainly Balaixa, we enjoyed the formal style that was nevertheless welcoming and efficient. I was impressed that when I asked for a recommendation for a bottle of Cava - I was looking for the driest available - I was not directed to the most expensive but almost the cheapest! The same thing happened on another occasion with Rose wine - well done Es Convent.

We also tried Los Zazarles following comments read here. We arrived early for dinner and the food was good although the service was very slow - staff seemed more interested in stocking up than serving. Ironically, as the restuarant filled as it got later, service seemed to improve - often the way! We went back for lunch one day on the recommendation of a fellow diner and this was remarkable value. However, it took forty minutes between completing the starter and the main course arriving, with only one other table occupied. The food was also cold on arrival so clearly we had been forgotten. Naturally we did not return but perhaps we just struck a couple of off days and that the norm is much better.

Somewhere we would recommend is the Can Furios hotel at Binibona - some way from Pollenca and aiming primarily at hotel guests but excellent food and service - just like being a house guest in a country home. Booking in advance is essential.

Again some way from Pollenca but a regular haunt of ours on a fine day is lunch at Es Vergeret at Tuent - turn left off the road on the way to Sa Calobra near the bottom of the descent (well signposted). The location, overlooking the bay is stunning and the food, at very reasonable prices, gets better each year.

Sorry to have rambled for so long but hope some of our experiences might be of interest.
Sponsored Links
Old 17-06-2006, 02:34

Default Re 28 days of gluttony

Hi bonzo 26, wow, what a first post. Very interesting indeed. In fact maybe we should start a topic about restaurants not in the Port, Pollensa or CSV.
A month, and only the odd breakfast in doors? Congratulations, and a very Merry Christmas to your tailor as he makes a complete new wardrobe. Mind you, I think I've got you beat. I've put on a stone and a half in the year I've been here, so perhaps another topic should be 12 months of gluttony!!
Haven't been to Es Convent yet, although I've heard some good reports. I think it's a bit pricey isn't it? Maybe for a special occasion, like our 31st anniversary coming up July 5th. We'll see.
We have only been once to C'an Costa with the new owners, and we actually preferred the new menu to the one with the old owners.
Anyway, we'd love to hear more. 28 days, there must have been some other highlights
Old 18-06-2006, 20:30
bonzo26

Hi Mallorcaboy - thank you for your very encouraging response.

Yes, there were lots of other restaurant visits but I was worried I was going on for too long in the initial posting!

The Clivea deserves a mention. In previous years I have not always been too impressed with occasional lapses in service. The food has always been good - in fact our nickname for the Clivea is "The Goose Mousse" named after one mouth watering starter! This year, we visited four or five times and found the service much better and the food as good as anywhere in the area. Just one point, as non smokers, we wish that the smoking tables were at the back of the restaurant and the nicest tables near the window reserved for us non puffers!

Yes, Es Convent would be ideal for a special occasion. It is not cheap - on about a par with Can Costa I guess - but certainly not outrageous. Dont forget it is a minimum of 200 metres to walk to the nearest car park so make sure you can stand up afterwards!

You are absolutely right about expanding waistlines. Fortunately the effect was mitigated a bit by the 800 miles I rode on my bike during the four weeks when according to my computer I used up 64,000 calories and climbed 59,000 feet. It meant that sitting down to a big dinner after a long ride did not make me feel quite so bad but yes I did put on a few pounds that I have been trying to lose since getting home.

Thanks again for the supportive comments.

Regards

Bonzo26