Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30

Default Can Josep - a not so nice welcome

Our first visit to Puerto pollensa and i have used this forum to get reviews of places to eat.
Last night we arrived at Can Joseph at quarter to 7. Myself my husband and our 2 young children. We were the first there snd had to hang around for s good few minutes until the waitress came. i greeted her with an 'ola', a nice friendly smile and asked if they were open. We got a cold, unwelcoming face and a stony reply of yes. She didnt offer us a table and so i turned to my husband who's response was 'we are clearly not welcome here' and we left. For such a family friendly resort and the wonderful welcomes we have had at other establishments throughout the week - stay, o lume, hells kitchen to name a few, i am utterly disappointed in Can Josep. We will be spending our hard earned money elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 15:46

Most unusual for restaurant C'an J. Usually a most welcoming abode.
I'm sure Josep will not be amused, especially if it really was exactly as stated (and we've no reason to believe otherwise)!!! More staff training required???
Old 10-09-2012, 16:16

Oh it really was as stated! She was so unfriendly. We actually felt embarrassed. We werent sure if they didn't open till 7 and that we would be putting her out by coming early but then still she shouldn't have been so rude. Such a shame as it looks such a lovely restaurant and the menu looked fantastic. Maybe staff training is needed as front of house staff give the first impression to the customer and believe me, that wasnt a good first impression.
Old 10-09-2012, 17:25

It is a shame you had this experience as we have never found them anything but charming ..... That said we tend not to eat until 9ish but if a restaurant is open it is open and there is no excuse for rude staff

If anyone reading this is calling in soon, I am sure Josep would want to hear the feedback as he really does aim to please
Old 10-09-2012, 17:29

Hi Nicbrev,

It's Josep from Restaurant CJ, I just reading your post and I'm really sorry about your experience, I always arrived at 7 pm and I didn't know anything about that. I much apologise for that. I all ready speak with the waiter who was in charge and he told me he was dress him the shirt for the night and the girl who was outside is the girl who wash the glasses behind the bar.
I hope you will visit us again and I will pleased to meet you and change your impression from us.
Sorry again and really expect to see you soon,

Josep
pollensa, its cd, debz1 and 11 others like this.
Old 10-09-2012, 17:47

Nicbrev,
I hope you will take Josep up on his offer and give them another try. This is one of my favourite restaurants.
eleanor and steve&jac like this.
Old 10-09-2012, 18:15

You should indeed give Can Josep another chance, we first met Josep a week after he opened and he has always been very warm and friendly to all our family.
It is on our list of never miss restaurants, Josep is great with our grandson's when they are with us, looking forward to seeing him again in October.
PP76
eleanor and steve&jac like this.

Last edited by PP76; 11-09-2012 at 22:42.
Old 10-09-2012, 23:57

Joseph see you next week
Old 11-09-2012, 13:14

Nicbrev

Do PLEASE vist C'an Josep and be sure to tell him personally who you are. You can see from his reply that, not only does he read the posts on this forum, but cares deeply about the service his restaurant provides.

If the girl in question was the "washer-up", maybe there was a bit of a confidence and language issue here, but you can be sure to receive the warmest of welcomes from Josep.

Trust me, if you go back, and he knows who you are, Josep will see to it that you are treated like royalty. Actually, in C'an Josep you'll be treated like royalty anyway!

Please give it a second chance - we absolutely love the place.

Duncan
CathB, debz1, Sparky and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Disorderly; 11-09-2012 at 13:16. Reason: muppet typing!
Old 11-09-2012, 18:19

My husband and I were in PP at beginning of August and went to C'an Josep intending to have lunch. We were shown to a table and then left.....no-one came near us for about 15 minutes offering menus or anything and we ended up leaving. Was a shame as we had been looking forward to trying this restaurant.
Old 11-09-2012, 19:14

nicbrev

Such a shame your first impression of C'an Josep was so bad. We always found him and his front of house staff to be both very friendly and attentive. The night we were there in August it was packed but we were shown to our table quickly and received very good service.

As others have said do give it another try, it's well worth it and I'm sure you will get the service you want.
Old 12-09-2012, 15:55
Under Moderation

Default Can Josep - a not so nice welcome

Just back home after 10 days in lovely Puerto Pollensa. Enjoyed two delicious and reasonably priced evening meals at Can Josep. Josep and all staff were very pleasant and attentive esp considering how busy the restaurant was both nights. Back in PP in May 2013 and look forward to dining at CJ again.
Old 12-09-2012, 18:20
Banned

Terrible attitude to take and I must admit that this year too I've come across a fair few surly waiters/waitresses. It's not acceptable atall, no matter if it was a washer-upper, makes no difference as all staff represent the company they work for.

You should not have to put up with it.

Fair dues though, nice to see the owner reading and acknowledging this and then doing something positive about it.
garoda and MairiCladach like this.
Old 12-09-2012, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Terrible attitude to take and I must admit that this year too I've come across a fair few surly waiters/waitresses. It's not acceptable atall, no matter if it was a washer-upper, makes no difference as all staff represent the company they work for.

You should not have to put up with it.

Fair dues though, nice to see the owner reading and acknowledging this and then doing something positive about it.

I think this is a fairly harsh criticism. I agree that front of house staff, most of whom have a fairly good grasp of the English language in a restaurant environment,should always be polite. However someone who normally works behind the scenes and probably does not speak English cannot be expected to meet and greet in the same way as someone who has been given specific training in that area. It is hard to make a judgement on this situation as we weren't there, but given that Josep has taken the time to write a personal apology on the forum it appears it was a one off misunderstanding. We have always had exceptionally good food and service at Ca'n Josep.
LK1960, cherylbb, eleanor and 1 others like this.
Old 12-09-2012, 20:31

Totally agree with Debz. Infact perhaps we need to be sympathetic to the person who was left to meet and greet. Perhaps things were running just a little behind time and this person was the only one to be in the restaurant at that time. Perhaps with limited English and a lack of confidence had a lot to do with her approach. Things do happen and things do sometimes go wrong with the best will in the world.
Josep has been on this forum and is aware of what happened. He has apologised and asked for the opportunity to put right. He didn't attempt to make excuses or blame others and for that should be respected. Thankfully there are so many positive posts here that i'm sure people will make their own judgement.
debz1 and LK1960 like this.

Last edited by eleanor; 12-09-2012 at 21:58. Reason: typo