Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 20:48

I Love PP, & I love this forum ( I've even got the T-shirt).

I have received great advice from it, and, I hope, have offered some where I can.

What I do find a bit disconcerting is the response to any post deemed to be 'negative'.

As soon as anyone raises the slightest hint of criticism, even though the post is well-founded, they are jumped on - see response to nickpaulanoah above.

they expressed their view, perfectly reasonably, & acknowledged that the owner has since done all he can to rectify

how can their comments be harsh?

I can see this discussion heading for a thread of it's own, if it's not deleted......
Belladonna, garoda, Nick and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 22:03

Not front of house staff/don't speak good English, there's no excuse. Being polite and a smile cost nothing and requires no training whatsoever.
Nick likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:05

Over the years I have had several excellent evenings at C'an Josep, good food, good service and (on occasions) good entertainment. Josep is an enthusiastic chap who generally runs a very good house. However, all restaurants are part of a service based business and all staff should be adequately trained, whatever their position. If a restaurant is due to open at say 7-00pm it should be ready to go. As shown by the first post on this thread there is always the chance of someone coming in at 15 second past opening time so poor service very shortly after opening is to be regretted. The young lady in question may have had a poor grasp of English but customers must remember they are in the Balearics not Southampton! She may have been new to her job or even just helping out, so some sympathy should possibly be given. We must all have encountered poor service in shops, cafes, restaurants here in Britain; possibly far more than we do abroad. I'd suggest we live and let live just a little and agree that 'Nicbrev' should swallow a bit of pride and take up Joseps kind offer, even if it be a little difficult to do so. Josep is a decent guy.
debz1, LK1960 and eleanor like this.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
Totally agree with Debz. Infact perhaps we need to be sympathetic to the person who was left to meet and greet. Perhaps things were running just a little behind time and this person was the only one to be in the restaurant at that time. Perhaps with limited English and a lack of confidence had a lot to do with her approach. Things do happen and things do sometimes go wrong with the best will in the world.
Josep has been on this forum and is aware of what happened. He has apologised and asked for the opportunity to put right. He didn't attempt to make excuses or blame others and for that should be respected.
I think NickPaulanoah's comments are very harsh and not productive, Thankfully there are so many positive posts here that i'm sure people will make their own judgement.
I totally agree with your post. it is amazing that so many people visit for two or three weeks in the year and think they have some ownership or right of control.

A few people, including myself have had bad service in some resteraunts in PP, my comments have been logged over the past few years, so what, try to evaluate that against the bad service endured in the U.K including my Homeland, Scotland where our tourists are subjected to the worst treatment I know of in Europe to date.

CJ's has a few negative results.........3-4 so far, against how many satisfied covers per/day/week/month per year?

Carry on as usual Josep.

jimbo
debz1 and LK1960 like this.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:19

Its great that Joseph has read the comments and has acknowledged them and possibly acted upon them if necessary. But he would not have had the negative comment not been posted in the first place to bring it to his attention would he? I agree that generally its a first class restaurant and we will be in there before we go home. If people do not comment on something that is wrong, then it never gets aired and possibly goes unnoticed by the owner and then they wonder why trade is dropping off. This way, its done and dusted as they say, and the sign of a good restaurant and owner. Well done Joseph.
Nick, roig cat and MairiCladach like this.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:24

Well Josep certainly has received much publicity and his restaurant is very much on the map now!

Just going back to smg's point regarding anything negative being jumped on. I understand your point but feel sometimes it is forgotten that we are discussing people's lives here and I do think that just sometimes Some comments are not as balanced as perhaps they could be.

Thankfully as is the case here many have put their positive experiences forward which might encourage those who felt rightly, that their experience wasn't up to scratch to give a second chance.

No second chance to make a first impression - I do hope Josep is given a second chance!
Old 13-09-2012, 11:54

Default Ca Josep

Quite a long thread this, just goes to show, no such thing as bad publicity.
Old 13-09-2012, 12:09
Super Moderator

Yep, the managing director of the company i used to work for always said "The only bad publicity is no publicity" .
Old 13-09-2012, 16:43

Well I've never been to Can Josep, as I go to Pollensa usually out of season, I can never catch the place open, but you bet I'll try again in November and February!
Old 13-09-2012, 19:44
Banned

This is a great website/forum and it's exactly that, a forum, which is a place for leaving reasonable statements/comments.

By having a property in PP, although not "banging on" about it, I have a vested interest in the town so would not unduly try to rubbish it or any establishment unneccessarily but I'm perfectly entitled to leave a negative comment. Out of my numerous posts there are far more positive than negative. Anyway, never be afraid of constructive criticism.

What I do find annoying, as SMG rightly says, is that it seems that anyone who even remotely dares to criticise anything in PP is rubbished by some. This is not right or fair in my opinion.

Anyway, I make no apologies for going "off comment" and no doubt my post will be removed !!
Belladonna, smg, phil and 4 others like this.
Old 14-09-2012, 13:50

This is what is so good about the Forum, I think.....honest exchanges of views and feedback from real personal experiences.

Those of us who participate in these discussions must remember that someone expressing a different view does not qualify as a personal slight! Goodness knows what it must be like to be a politician!

Josep is renowned for being a good guy, offering warm hospitality, and as someone has already commented, his very participation in this Forum and readiness to put things right is a great reassurance to all of us who love his restaurant (and staff).

A couple of years ago I posted a criticism of O Lume, a restaurant we gave second and third chances to and frankly just could not get on with. The final tipping point was a pork steak that was undercooked to the point of being plain dangerous. I posted my criticisms on the Forum, well.........anyone would have thought I'd shot and eated Bambi!!!! But I took no offence with the people who so roundly attacked my views - it's a different opinion, based upon different experiences. Mind you I don't remember Jaime (who also reads this Forum) taking the trouble to respond (oops....there I am being controversial again!).

All feedback is valuable - keep them coming I say and don't water them down. If you feel it, say it. We just don't all have to agree, but should disagree politely and with good grace.

That's life as an adult!

Duncan
Rosie34, garoda and Stevo66 like this.
Old 14-09-2012, 16:15

Very interesting that you have mentioned O'Lume along with Ca'n Josep as two restaurants which you have criticized in the past.As it happens these are the only two places in the Port that I also found wanting and both times I was showered with complaints from Forum members who were convinced that I was delusional and/or telling porkies.
Old 14-09-2012, 17:07
Super Moderator

As i have said before on other threads, everyone is entitled to their opinion and what suits one will not suit another. We just have to accept the fact that when we voice our opinions there will be people who will disagree and leave it at that.

Nickpaulnoah, posts are only removed or edited when they become personal, abusive or libellous.

Stevo66, i don't think anyone has accused you of being delusional or telling lies.

All i ask is that when members have stated their views they don't keep labouring the point, please can we now move on, thank you.
Doogz1874, lollipop and Rosie34 like this.
Old 16-09-2012, 19:37

Gosh, I didn't realise that my post would welcome such discussions and opinions. I only stated my experience on a particular evening....
I thank Josep for commenting and explaining the situation...I'm not sure whether she was the glass washer as each night after when we walked past she was serving bread and food to tables on evening service??!!!
Anyway, we didn't get to Ca'n Josep for an evening meal as we had already planned where we wanted to eat for our last few nights however we did visit on our last day(15.9.12) for some lunch...
We got a very lovely friendly welcome from a different waitress (short hair), service was quick, efficient and friendly. The food albeit it was only salads and baguettes but they were delicious and plentiful. The bill came quickly and she thanked us many times and said goodbye to the children with a big smile! It makes such a difference.....regardless of language barriers, a smile and a friendly welcome/goodbye arn't difficult.
Next time we visit PP we will come for an evening meal Josep. Thank you for your response and apologies. Kind regards.
pollensa, debz1, smg and 5 others like this.
Old 16-09-2012, 19:44
Super Moderator

Nicbrev thank you for posting this. I am glad your story had a happy ending .
eleanor likes this.