Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 18:05

Default PORT 31 - First and Last!

Although we are creatures of habit, generally sticking with the fantastic restaurants we've loved for years, we like to try somewhere new every visit. This holiday, it was Port 31 (old amusement arcade building).
We really should have known what we were in for in the first half hour, which was as long as it took to get a drink! Kids had 'chicken breast fillets', which were processed, but tasty enough. Starters were ok, except for squid rings, which I know can be a little rubbery, but I'd still be there if I'd finished them! Even though I only ate one, our waiter never even asked if they were ok as he whisked them away, along with almost half of my daughters meal without asking if she was finished. Mains came, two fish dishes, a little dry but ok, chicken skewers, very dry, and shoulder of lamb, bone dry! If you've been lucky enough to have tasted the lamb shoulder in Coral, Maxims, El Casinet, or many more restaurants around the port, you'll know how good they can taste. This was overlooked, dry and stringy. I called our waiter over and asked if I could have some sauce, gravy or jus for it, as it was a little dry. He simply said no and walked off.
By this stage, blood was boiling, and I followed him in to he restaurant and asked to speak to the manager, being pointed towards another sulky looking chap. I waited for him to finish what he was doing and I explained my grievance with the food and the service we'd received. He was defensive throughout and not at all interested. Throwing his arms in the air, he asked what did I want. I said my bill, and that I only expected to pay for what we had received. He eventually brought the bill, and pointed out he hadn't charged for the two large and two small beers we had managed to get, but had charged for deserts (menu del dia). When I argued this, he again waved his arms and asked what more he could do, to which I suggested the least he could do was to deduct the price of the deserts. He eventually knocked them off and we paid and left, 65euros lighter and pretty hungry.

Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa are littered with great restaurants we look forward to visiting, and in the 8 years we have been coming, I can remember a worse meal experience. Off to Hell's Kitchen tonight to restore my faith.

You've been warned!

Garoda
ohjay, Stevo66 and Inflatedmilly like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-08-2012, 18:20

Default Port 61

Oh dear Garoda - so sorry it was so bad but thanks for the warning!

So strange, as you say, there are so many brilliant restaurants in the port. They will have to up their game and indulge in a bit of customer care if they are to survive.
Belladonna likes this.
Old 29-08-2012, 08:37

I have to disagree with this review of Port 31. In the last 6 weeks we have eaten there several times & had fantastic food and service. I think we were there on the evening described and, yes it was exceptionally busy and service slower than usual. That said, we were happy to take our time & enjoyed our meal at a leisurely pace. At one point I pointed out that our wine could be more chilled & it was replaced immediately with a new, more cooler, bottle. The food each time has been delicious and I would not hesitate to recommend it.
Willow likes this.
Old 29-08-2012, 10:11

Well done, Garoda for taking the stand you did and complaining - occasionally we have been very dissatisfied with the food/service but just left and crossed the place off our list
Old 29-08-2012, 10:26

I have to disagree with garoda and agree with Jilly. We ate at Port 31 on Sunday 19 August and had a really lovely meal with mainly good service. One of the waiters admittedly was a bit surly but the waitress who mainly served us was lovely and very friendly.

The crusty baguette that came with the olive tapenade was some of the best bread I have ever had in the port and the homemade tapenade was delicious and a nice change from olives that you usually get. My fish main was simple yet very nice and not dry. It came with an olive oil and herb "drizzle" which was really lovely. My son enjoyed his burger that they were happy to serve without the brie and onions that it should have been topped with. Puddings were nice too. Wine by the glass was very large and the house white went down very well with me!

The price of 2 courses for €12.80 was very good value for the quality of the food I thought, especially as the bread and olive tapenade was like a free starter for us to share.

I haven't quite worked out my top 5 restaurants yet as I only got back from PP late last night but Port 31 may well be in the running.

Just shows I guess how experiences can vary...
Sparky, Jilly and Willow like this.
Old 29-08-2012, 10:47

I'm never quite sure what happens when the chef throws a sickie or has a night off for one reason or another, who does the cooking!! Sounds to me as though this may have happened in this instance, as several very differing opinions.
lollipop likes this.
Old 29-08-2012, 18:18

We first ate at Port 31 when we were there in April - not long after it had opened -and had a great lunch and also a very good evening meal there..We returned in July and ate there on a number of occasions..each time it was very good...It was very busy and a little slow but have experienced much slower service in a number of other places in the Port.

Eating Out

Last edited by CathB; 30-08-2012 at 14:50.
Old 29-08-2012, 19:04

Mr Jilly here

Astonished to read this report for a number of reasons

- if someone took my kids food half way through a quick "Excuse me" normally recovers It

- if the food was really that bad - send it back

- and thirdly I was at the table having a great chat with the jovial owner when you rudely interrupted us with a barked " outside when you have a moment" order.

We then witnessed the altercation outside which then continued at your table in front of your family and other obviously uncomfortable diners . Your blood may have been boiling but your approach was never going to end in anything other than acrimony.

Which suggests your first post may be more a case of "settling the score " than a genuine reflection of this excellent restaurant run by 2 very hard working brothers.

I'll go with the majority and be back for hopefully an uninterrupted evening

Mr Jilly
Willow likes this.
Old 29-08-2012, 19:57

On a general basis I feel It is a worry when people write a review about a restaurant, hotel or private rental as it could be written with a hidden agenda. The negative is always stronger than the positive in as much as the negative is always remembered. This is peoples lives and therefore responsibility should be taken to ensure that any review is true and fair.

Often there are two sides to any story but not always are there people to witness situations. People can be destroyed by an unfair judgement. I am not referring to this case specifically but taking a general view. Perhaps it is a good idea when writing a review to mention the negatives and to attempt to balance with a positive statement too?
debz1, Jilly and Willow like this.
Old 29-08-2012, 20:12
Banned

We've eaten there once when it first opened and I ordered meat lasagne. It was awful and contained no meat atall. I complained and the waiter was very apologetic and replaced it with something else of my choice which was fine.

It's a nice, smart and new set-up which I suppose suffered a few hiccups. We all have a right to complain as long as it's done reasonably.

It will always be the same with restaurants I suppose, one man's meat is another man's poison as they say. No-one is right or wrong, we're all different at the end of the day.

The problem with restaurants is though that you rarely give them a second chance.

There is though no place for surly or rude staff.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 29-08-2012, 21:07

Certainly not a case of settling a score. The bar is set very high indeed as far as food and service is concerned in PP. On this, the only occasion on which I have to judge the restaurant, both fell well short. Food can sometimes be put down to perception and personnal taste, however there is never a place for surly staff. I will vote with my feet and not waste a precious night of my next visit in Port 31.
Old 29-08-2012, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathB View Post
We first ate at Port 61 when we were there in April - not long after it had opened -and had a great lunch and also a very good evening meal there..We returned in July and ate there on a number of occasions..each time it was very good...It was very busy and a little slow but have experienced much slower service in a number of other places in the Port.
Is this the same port 31 or 61
LK1960 likes this.
Old 29-08-2012, 22:58

I was also there the night that I observed you demand to wait that he come to your table in front of your family after you had eaten! It's like snakes and ladders some you win some you lo! It's all about experience and perception! We will definitely be back chicken skewers were beautiful!
Old 29-08-2012, 23:56
Banned

Blimey, just goes to show that wherever you are in PP and something like this happens you could well have a forum member witness it !!

Better be careful.............. ; - )
Rosie34, MairiCladach and Willow like this.
Old 30-08-2012, 10:08

Wow, who needs CCTV. Lol!

Chicken skewers were definitely pick of the bunch on the night, wish I'd had them now. On the whole, my experience was bad and my perception was, that it should have been much better. I admit, you can have a bad meal anywhere, sometimes it's more of a bad choice by the individual, and it shouldn't put you off a restaurant.