Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By MalcolmS
  • 1 Post By cumberland8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 18:00

Default Pollenca trip part 2

Sitting at PMI waiting for flight back to GLA so thought I'd add part two...

Wednesday as planned we went into Puerto Pollenca for the market, amazed at how quickly we got there without two kids in tow. We were done inside a couple of hours including some of the shops on the front. There seemed to be some bargains to be had especially if your wise to the fact you were paying for fakes. I saw countless kids handing over a few euros for dre beats headphones which normally retail for a few hundred pounds - guaranteed the sound quality won't be great but once on your head who will know! Interestingly I also saw some really cheap Links of London and Pandora jewellery - both companies are renowned for chasing vigorously those selling fakes in the UK.

All we bought was some perfume and aftershave in the perfumerie opposite where MIR used to be (so miss that shop!) - hope it was all genuine? :-)

Oh forgot to say in part 1 - there's a fantastic ceramic shop opposite El Cantonet in Pollenca which we've been going to for years and we did again this trip topping up and replacing breakages - well recommended. Huge selection.

We stopped off for a couple of cooling drinks at Dolce Sa Pobla on the way back having seen it recommended here. Very friendly and worth a visit.

Wednesday night we went to La Fonda - it was very busy and at first I thought we weren't going to get a table - we hadn't booked. We eventually got one and it was well worth the wait - the food was tremendous. I had a goats cheese salad for starter which was a meal in itself and then I had the sole which at 22€ I thought was great value (c/w UK). Service was great but came a little stuck at the end when my wife wanted a whisky on ice and my Spanish could only come up with Whisky on the rocks. We nearly ended up with some ice cream with whisky poured over it but we got there in the end! Great night (77€).

Thursday night had cooled slightly and there was thunder in the air and the wind had picked up but it didn't ever rain. A consequence of this though was that many of the restaurants hadn't set up their outside tables which meant places were at a premium especially around the square. We decided to try La Taberna as we'd only ever eaten there at lunch time. When we got there, whilst open, there wasn't a sole inside and we chickened out and went back to Cantonet across the street! Even there we struggled to get a table - I think the fact we were recognised from the other evening helped to squEeze us in. We had another fantastic meal - even better than the first night. I had the Raviole Sobrassada (SP?) which was honestly one of the best meals I've eaten. Who'd have thought that just 5 parcels of pasta could excite one so much?! :-) We got chatting to the family at the end and naturally they loved our compliments and comparisons to other Pollenca restaurants. (77€ - we had dessert this time!)

Friday night - our last - we'd booked a table at Clivia. The first booking of the week - all the other tables had been on spec. We were really pleased to be given the table in th window set for four. The first thing you notice about Clivia is the prices most main courses are 20€ plus compared to around 15€ elsewhere. In fact I'm sure a bottle of Mortitx I'd paid 15€ for in Font de Gall was 21€ here.

Prices aside we had fantastic evening and a great meal. The service also really makes the evening here - most of the same staff are there year after year.

I was going to be good and pass on dessert but I couldn't resist an orange panna cotta which was heaven. Final bill was 101€ but we'll definitely be back.

After checking out of our rental we had breakfast in the square at GR211 (?!). It was a buffet affair for 11.90. Whilst we couldn't fault it (lovely fresh orange) I couldn't help thinking we would have got better value elsewhere. Wandering around the square after everybody else's breakfast looked 'nicer' ('the grass is always greener').

Anyway already looking forward to our next holiday - off to New Zealand for 3 weeks in Feb - but we will be back to Pollenca some day soon and hope these reviews have helped someone...

Links

Last edited by MalcolmS; 02-09-2012 at 13:48.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 18:24

Thanks for the two great reports. We usually go out for dinner in PP, but your reviews certainly make appetite for a dinner trip to Pollenca.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2012, 18:03

Thanks for a great, informative review Malcolm! Most useful for me was the recommendation of the ceramics shop - it was closed when we were passing in the summer, we will definitely go there next time though.

Hope that you are adjusting to life back here in Scotland, at least the sun has shone today (at least over in the east), not quite the same though...

Mairi
Old 02-09-2012, 18:05
Super Moderator

Excellent report thanks for posting Malcolm
Old 02-09-2012, 19:37

Again clear, concise & most enjoyable reporting from PP.com aficionados.
Thank You
Sparky likes this.