Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By andrew711
  • 1 Post By clinkham

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 22:38

Default Can Pescador

Just had a disaster event at Can Pescador. The staff were working their socks off , but oh dear, one of the worse meals in many a year, almost on par with IRU in July where a rubbery piece of gristle and fat was masquerading as shoulder of lamb. The white wine was warm so we changed to beer and water and the wine was knocked off the bill. At least the guy was honest and said he didn't have anything cooler cause of some mishap stocking the fridge earlier. So why offer it to me in the first place? The lasagne, at €11,was small and a number of steps down from a Tesco Value convienience £1.20 meal. The pasta carbonara at €9 plus €3 for the sauce was grim. A small dish of limp pasta with a couple of egg cups full of 'carbonara sauce' plopped on top. Both dishes only slightly larger than the children's portion of spaghetti bolognese, which at €7.50, including soft drink and ice cream was good value. The chicken salad contained chicken and lettuce and the childs hot dog and chips were fine. The mixed grill on a stick was also good, the meats tender and tasty, but let down by the rest of the meal.

Is there a different business model on these first line restaurants to the ones further back? With IRU on our last visit and Can Pescador this time plus the review of Port 31 today, is there a pattern emerging? It feels as though they are taking the view that there will always be another sucker coming along.
Sponsored Links
Old 29-08-2012, 00:29

Hi Clinkham,

I've always suspected this, that the front line restaurants don't have to try so hard, as they feel there's a constant flow of new customers every night. How short sighted!

Garoda

Ps. Hells Kitchen was fab tonight. Nasi goreng amazing followed by crepes (not even on the menu, how's that for service!)
Old 29-08-2012, 07:03

Default can pescador

Hi Clinkham, where is Can Pescador ?
Old 29-08-2012, 07:26

Where's Can Pescador? Ask the British Prime Minister. He was there. Photo op with beaming staff, front page of the Bulletin a few days ago.
Sparky likes this.
Old 29-08-2012, 08:59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipalong & lola View Post
Hi Clinkham, where is Can Pescador ?
It's at the start of the Pine Walk near to the Corb Mari, Can Pescador is a Tex Mex that's not a Tex Mex .

Last edited by Sparky; 29-08-2012 at 11:31.
Old 29-08-2012, 10:56

Unlike the review of Port 31 I have to sort of agree about this review Con Pescador. My son and I ate there on Monday night with some friends so there were 7 of us in total. We were extremely disappointed with the really bad service.

Firstly they didn't bring us any bread and olives, the only restaurant I've ever been in that didn't do this. We thought at first that they obviously didn't do this here so didn't complain but while we were eating our mains we noticed that other tables were brought b & o.

The waiter made the cardinal sin of not repeating our orders back to us for both the mains and the pudding as wrong dishes were brought out for both courses.

They got 6 of the main dish orders correct but made a mistake with possibly the most important dish, that of the youngest son of our friends, Edward. He is a bit of a fussy eater but he was being brave and ordered a cod dish off the main menu rather than something off the kids menu. The waiter bought him a pork dish which upset Edward as he doesn't like pork. We complained and the dish was taken away but Edward then had to wait while they cooked his cod (he ate some of his brothers chips while waiting). It arrived about 10 mins later but without any chips! So his brother was down on chips and Edward had none.

We had complained to the head waiter and so after the cod had come our original waiter came back. Instead of apologising he said that he heard Edward say pork and so he insinuated that it was our fault and not the fault of the waiter!

The other mistake with the order was with the puddings. My friend Andrea wanted apple cake but with no cream. Two others in our party wanted the apple cake but with ice cream and not cream. These three orders confused the waitress as she kept repeating that the apple pie could only come with cream. However, after lots of discussion two apple cakes with ice cream were brought out followed by one with cream. Andrea complained and the waitress took the pie with cream away in a huff.

Shortly she returned with the pie minus the cream but with cream still attached to the pie. She had obviously just scraped off the cream but didn't attempt to disguise it at all!!

They were very slow with our second bottle of wine though (thankfully both bottles were cool).

It was a real shame because the food was really good I thought once they got the orders right. My fish main course was really delicious (sea bass with paprika, garlic and vinegar) and my pudding was decent (pancake filled with ice cream and covered in chocolate sauce; it would have been nicer if the pancake came warm though).

But when you consider the price of the food and the poor service the overall experience wasn't good.
Old 29-08-2012, 11:15

Our friends ate here last week making the mistake(which many do) that it was part of the Corb Marie set up.
I wont bore you with the details, but the food & service were absolutely dreadfull.

I would add that the Corb is in a different class to Pescadore & in no way to be confused with it.
Old 29-08-2012, 11:37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberland8 View Post
Our friends ate here last week making the mistake(which many do) that it was part of the Corb Marie set up.
I wont bore you with the details, but the food & service were absolutely dreadfull.

I would add that the Corb is in a different class to Pescadore & in no way to be confused with it.
Yes i agree Cumberland8, i have changed the wording in my post as it did look like i was saying the Corb Mari was part of the Tex Mex group which of course it isn't.
However Can Pescador is .
Old 29-08-2012, 23:43

Default Can Pescador - there's more!

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one to have had a bad experience here. It's not just me being a whinger then!.
Just to expand a little on the warm wine - waitress came with half a dozen extra ice cubes in a dish, with the suggestion I put them in the ice bucket and this would cool the wine!!. Err, excuse me, what is the reason for opening the bottle and inviting the customer to test the product? If only a positive comment is allowed , why bother!
I won't go into the difficulty in getting them to produce a bill and accept payment. But I was very close to leaving an IOU written on a napkin and walking off. Wonder how that would go down in the small claims court?
Regarding wrong orders being produced, this may have something to do with the smartphone thingies they use. The screen is somewhat smaller than an iPhone4 and , significantly, operated by a rather thick forefinger. I expect the text will require 20/20 vision to be readable. A similar system is in operation at IRU.

The fact, it seems, that our Prime Minister has been so impressed he has offered himself for a photo opportunity has me shaking my head in disbelief. That's marketing men for you!
Needless to say, we are returning to our usual boring routine of patronising the many excellent privately owned eateries in the Port and Pollensa.If we fancy a chain group, Burger King will be just the ticket, rather like the Little Chef. You are always sure to get what it says on the tin!
MairiCladach likes this.

Last edited by clinkham; 29-08-2012 at 23:45.
Old 29-08-2012, 23:50
Banned

We also had a bad meal there recently.

Not long ago I stated on this forum that the quality of the food in PP this year in quite a few places, but not all I hasten to add, had gone downhill and I was shot down in flames by some.

With the financial crisis the way it is, and some restaurants that surround the square and line the sea front, there ae those that seem to think they can get away with bad food and poor service. We've all been there.

Luckily the good ones far outweigh the bad.