Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 21:01

Default Pollenca trip report - part 1

We're currently enjoying a peaceful week in Pollenca just the two of us sans kids for the 1st time. I think the first thing I've noticed is just how busy it is but my wife reminds me we've always been in June and October before.

Flight out from Glasgow courtesy of Easyjet was a dream leaving behind a grey and wet Saturday afternoon and arriving to a sweltering Palma evening. We did the usual trick of splitting up wife getting the cases whilst I got the hire car. The queues at Record weren't too bad and I was just getting the keys to a rather nice, new Mercedes A class when my wife arrived with our cases. Things around us though were by this time getting heated as people were being accused of Q jumping and other arguments about the length of time those behind the counter were taking. The girl serving me managed a few texts on her own mobile and to get a cup of coffee whilst serving me!

We arrived in Pollenca about 10 and were in the square enjoying a bEer not too long after that. There was some drama along the way though. I've been driving for over 30+ years and have never had an accident so I'm embarrassed to own up to scratching the Mercedes along the side of a lorry in one of the narrow Pollenca streets. To this day I don't know how I did it but I've obviously completely misjudged the width swiped the door mirror and put three horrible scratches along its side. Ouch! Luckily I have excess insurance which I think will cover this. Something to sort out next week back home.

We've used Villa Parade for the first time and were in a beautiful 3 storey, 4 bedroom, 5 bathroom town house only a few minutes from the centre. We didn't opt for the (extra) welcome pack as we knew we'd hit the market first thing on Sunday and get everything we nEeded then. We weren't expecting absolutely no toilet paper in the house though!

After shopping and a swim we went back into town for tapas. Our usual is Taberna Del Temple and we were keen to see how it fared under new ownership. If we hadn't been told this we'd never have known. The menu didn't look too different and we ordered 5 dishes - half racions - which were huge, although we did finish them all bar one - the patatas bravas (SP?) which was interesting. It was like fried cubes of potato which had been fried in chilli oil and then a big dollop of mayonnaise with a bit of tomato ketchup swirled in placed on top. I thought maybe they'd run out and had to improvise but I saw somebody else get the same for their order. Apart from that oddity the food was good and I'd still go back.

Sunday night we went to Cantonet and when we walked in at first thought they were closed! The restaurant was empty - we discovered everyone was out on the terrace in front of the church. We had a wee wait for a table but it was well worth it. An excellent night, great food, good portions and excellent service. Definitely recommended and would go back. (56€)

Monday night we'd intended to go to La Fonda but on the way past spotted a table for two outside La Font de Gall - wish we'd walked on. Whilst the food was nicely presented it was mediocre. My wife had a carpaccio of smoked salmon to start with which was just several thick slices of salmon arranged in a circle around the plate. I had chicken in a peppercorn sauce - I was grateful for the sauce as the chicken was very dry. Service was okay but I never get the impression that the staff there are keen to have you as customers. (63€)

What's the story with Ca'n Costa / Latitude? Whilst all the signs are down walking past it today the doors were open and it all looks intact as it was behind the doors.

Tuesday night we went to Trencadora. It was very busy - we were squeezed into a table for what was an okay pasta / pizza meal. To be honest it was so dark I'd struggle to tell you what - ate. :-) Service was ok but we order two glasses of cava and bread and olives but these only came after our starters were served. Not be rushing back. (64€)

Off to PP market tomorrow. Will try to post rest of trip later in week.
debz1, Belladonna, Sparky and 7 others like this.

Links
Sponsored Links
Old 28-08-2012, 21:46

A good write up Malcolm. Your balanced views are a welcome read, look forward to the next one. Shame about the car though!!
Old 28-08-2012, 22:27

Excellent write up Malcolm look forward to reading the rest of your stay.

Sorry you damaged the car but those roads in the Old Town are so difficult to drive around that I think to come away without a scratch is more the challenge. Have you looked at some of the cars in and around the old Town?

Enjoy the rest of your week and have fun in the market tomorrow!
Old 29-08-2012, 01:33

Really enjoyed part one of your trip report Malcolm. We hadn't been to El Cantonet for a few years but revisted in June and it is now back in our top three Pollensa restaurants. The terrace is lovely on a hot sultry evening with beautiful views overlooking Pollensa. I agree that both the food and service are very good...lamb to die for The young lad taking orders was obviously being trained, under the watchful eye of the owner. Later in the evening I noticed him shaking hands and kissing goodbye to a table of people whom I presumed he knew...but it was actually him leaving He then moved to the next table and repeated the hand shaking and kissing before moving on to our table and doing the same. We were all fairly taken aback until the owner told us he was her son who was at catering school and she was training him up to wait on tables for the summer season Thats what I call customer service!!
Sparky likes this.
Old 29-08-2012, 07:13

Thanks for such a clear & concise report its nice when people take time out to provide us eager beavers with your comestible reports.
Having spoken to the powers that be, V.parade are locked into a contract with Record, so , David if you are reading this(he does periodically) take note of car hire problems, with the aforementioned.
Old 29-08-2012, 08:52
Super Moderator

Great report Malcolm thank you for taking the time out of your holiday to post it, reviews on Pollensa Town restaurants have been a bit thin on the ground this year . I am looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip .
Old 29-08-2012, 10:07

Hi Malcolm I enjoyed reading your report and it's good to know that Taberna Del Temple is still a good place to eat - we only 'found' it last May and got to know the owner and his son/nephew?? quite well and were so disappointed to hear it had changed hands. And agree about Trencadora as well - it's a lovely setting and the food is ok but nothing to rave about
Old 29-08-2012, 10:57

Hi Malcolm. That was a really good read, looking forward to the next chapter. We are flying out on Sunday, our first time, so that has put me in the holiday mood
Old 29-08-2012, 12:25

We too were very disapointed with Font de Gall. Always a favorite with us decided to try it on our last visit. First time since it changed hands. None in our party of four enjoyed the meal. Will not be going there again. Which is a real shame. Still miss Caan Costa!!
Belladonna likes this.
Old 29-08-2012, 17:10

I agree totally Jepset. Have tried FdG twice to give it "second chance" and still not impressed. Can Costa has wonderful memories for us, and it really hasn't had a replacement restaurant IMO.
Old 29-08-2012, 17:42

I'll pack a toliet roll for our next trip with Villa Parade then!!

Honestly, did they supply light bulbs?
Old 29-08-2012, 18:27

Can't fault them in any other way roig cat. House is gorgeous and perfectly located - although not sure what would happen if all 8 guests went for a shower at same time! :-)

Links
Old 29-08-2012, 18:51

Good to hear, we have booked Casa Chacon for next year which is also in the town but only a three bed so possibly not the one you stayed at? Ill still pack some loo roll though LOL
Old 16-09-2012, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by roig cat View Post
Good to hear, we have booked Casa Chacon for next year which is also in the town but only a three bed so possibly not the one you stayed at? Ill still pack some loo roll though LOL

Just had a look at Casa Chacon - looks gorgeous. We've not stayed on that side of the town but that looks like being one of the closest villas to the main square you can get! We were in Casa Dalt which is in Carrer Torres in the shadow of the hill with the big radio masts.

We've also stayed twice in Ca Na Copea (but through Vintage not Villa Parade) which is on the other side of the main road that goes past Pollenca to PP. It was really nice and has some fantastic views of Pollenca but suffers from quite a bit of noise from the road.

I really fancy giving Casa Horta a try sometime - it looks fantastic from the pictures and looks to be ideally situated for all the main restaurants - I reckon just 2 mins to Cantonet!

Links

Last edited by pollensa; 17-09-2012 at 14:52.
Old 17-09-2012, 14:14

Hi Malcolm,

Ca Na Copea looks lovely, I've always avoided properties on that side of Puig Maria as I am always afraid they will be in the shade am in April or October? Do you think that would be the case?

We tend to book rural places when its warm/hot and properties in the town at winter time when a pool is not really needed.

Rented a property last November in the old town which was lovely BUT had a cockroach issue. The house had interior stone walls and the cockroaches would come out of the cracks at night, They were huuuge. Never found any in the kitchen or bathrooms but we did have to pull the bed away from the wall. The property had been unoccupied the two weeks prior to our visit so may be they had taken up residence without anyone knowing. Dont know what they were feeding on though, cement?