Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-07-2006, 19:37
SpecialLimit

Default One Place to Avoid

A typically beautiful day in Puerto Pollenca was ruined by dining at the Balaxia. Supposedly an upper scale restaurant, we were greeted AND rushed to our table by a young, fully tattooed boy. Rushed to make our selection the minute we put down our menus, we soon regretted coming. We couldn't decide whether the food was of the micro-wave variety or just severely over-priced. For entertainment, we witnessed our hard-working waitresses being harrassed and abused by both dowdy-looking managers. For dessert, the male manager (Arnie) sat at our table - uninvited - and bored us with stories of 'good ol' London, making our planned hasty retreat out of the question.
Sponsored Links
Old 17-07-2006, 21:32
beachboy88

Hello SpecialLimit

Im sorry to read that you also had a nasty stay at the Balaixa Restaurant, as so did I and my family not so long ago, I know what you mean about the rushed service, re-heated food from the mic, and the abuse towards the staff.

I posted a thread not so long ago about this place, expresing my opinion and saying that I was not to pleased with it, all I can say is I shall not be going back there anytime soon, and neither will many other people.

Dont worry SL, there are many other lovely places to eat out in Puerto P.

BB88
Old 19-07-2006, 18:17
ManDir

Sorry to be contentious but i have to disagree wholeheartedly. I and a party of 10 friends ate there last night, greeted by the lovely Mandy, served drinks by Jake (of the tattoo variety) in a most civilised fashion. After sitting poolside, chatting, making our menu choices, we were shown to our table, where the starters arrived promptly. A super special of the day for me, Water melon and couscous, very refreshing after a long hot day. Friends were raving about the Chorizos and the kids devoured their small size but adult taste Mussels and Milanese.
Our main courses arrived, Hake with courgettes for me, not a boil in the bag in site, piping fresh and simply super. The rest of our party were equally delighted by a variety of Steak, Pork and Calves liver, washed down by a number of bottles of El Coto.
We were not rushed, having arrived at 8pm we didn't leave until gone midnight, were made to feel more than welcome.
Being here for the next two months I fully intend to visit on a a very regular basis as its just like going to a fine country house and meeting friends rather than a tourist trap normally associated with this part of the world
Arnie and Mandy, keep up the good work... i am sure there are many more that agree with my point of view
Old 20-07-2006, 01:22
Roy and Katie

The comments above surprise me. Balaixa has been one of our favourite restaurants for many years. We have never been rushed or had anything other than good service. The food has always been good. The liver and bacon is some of the best I have ever had, and the Sunday roasts are wonderful. Arnie has a sense of humour which we enjoy, but perhaps may not be to everyone's taste.
Old 20-07-2006, 23:22
terryw

Isnīt it strange how this restaurant gives rise to such strongly felt and wide ranging opinion, there never appears to be any middle ground on this one
My family consider it our favourite, a view that was strengthened this week when, for the first time, we went for the Menu Del Dia and an idyllic afternoon by the pool. We found Mandy and Arnie to be as charming and welcoming as ever. The staff, particularly the Romanian waiter, was attentive and very friendly.
The food was excellent,both in quality and value for money.

We wondered whether we may be encouraged to buy drinks all afternoon, but were left completly on our own, to enjoy the pool and the lovely setting. The waiters only appeared when we needed something.

A great day, which we are looking forward to repeating next week.

Obviously each to their own, but far from a "place to avoid" I would suggest that anyone not giving it a try based on the odd negative comment is really missing out on something special.

Mandy and Arnie, keep up the good work

Terry Winter
Old 21-07-2006, 00:34

We had another great night last night at Balaixa, sitting next to the above mentioned large table. Everything was great, (as usual). As we have said before, we all respect peoples differing opinions, but I feel that the first post in the topic is actually somewhat abusive to the owner and also to Jake, (who actually always keeps any body art he may have fully covered whenever he is at work so I cannot understand how this forum member knows about it!!). Even if he was displaying his tattoos, the tone when mentioning them is highly derogatory
Old 23-07-2006, 15:05
travellinghopefully

We went earlier this month and I can see what the original poster might be getting at about some aspects of the service. At the end of the meal, we wanted to order coffees, extra drinks, etc and the waiter (I assume it's Arnie - half-moon glasses?) was sitting chatting at another table .... . Eventually, we gave up waiting and one of our guests went and stood at the other table, waiting to be noticed! and simply asked for the bill. Pity, really, because otherwise the general view was that it had been an excellent meal.
Old 23-07-2006, 23:49
thetraveller

Default balaxia

I took my girlfriend there last week, hoping to enjoy a nice romantic meal together on our last night in Pollensa. Arnie was very friendly,(perhaps overly so as he came across very fake), we ordered or meals n they came fairly promptly, and although we enjoyed the food i would definitly say they were not at the quality i would expect for the price we paid. Also the house wine being sold at 19euros....can buy it for 4euros in the local offlicence! This was the most over priced restaurant we had eaten in in our lovely two week stay. Also i my fiance was somewhat put off her food when a cat jumped onto our table! unbelievable! cats have no business being in a restaurant, just think of the germs and cat hairs that must be on plates and cutlery. I will be coming back to pollensa next summer but i can guarantee i will not be eating in the balaxia again.
Old 25-07-2006, 02:04
animagic21

Just want to come out in support (again) of Balaixa.
Please dont be put off by any negative comments, just judge for yourselves!!!

Also, as has been said before, cats are probably cleaner than a lot of people and much nicer sometimes. When we were last at Balaixa every effort was made to keep a large, tabby cat away, much to my disappointment!!

It's a totally lovely atmosphere and the food is great!!
Old 25-07-2006, 16:44
beachboy88

Personaly I dont see how cats can be clean, cats are animals, and they have nothing to do in a restaurant, I am disgusted to hear about many things been posted , how would you like a cat to walk all over your plate? this is how holidays are ruined, by people getting sick because of poor health and safety standards, I dont care how good the food/atmosphere is, you do not have animals in restaurants, especialy in kitchens.
Old 25-07-2006, 17:24
Founder

I am now closing this thread as I feel that all the points have been made and continuing will add nothing to this forum and this thread will only degenerate into unpleasantness.

Anyone reading this post & others will note that there are both strong supporters of this restaurant and those who don't agree.

Webmaster