Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 12:34

Default Can Josep

Josep is now proudly displaying his Certificate of excellence from TripAdvisor. Well Done well deserved.
LK1960, Sparky, animagic21 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by lollipop; 07-07-2012 at 14:05. Reason: word changed.
Sponsored Links
Old 18-07-2012, 13:52

Below you can read my report which I put on "Trip Advisor" after our visit to Ca'n Josep last weekend.

Before any criticism starts let me tell you that this is a true report of our experience without any exaggeration or ficticious comments.

Having been aware that this restaurant has been either no.1 or no.2 on Trip Advisor for a long time,my family and I decided to eat there last night and unfortunately were really sorry that we did.The third table that we were shown to was the one that we had reserved.The drinks menu was produced and a mid-priced red wine was selected.The waiter returned and explained that they were out of stock so we compromised with the house red.The waiter returned and again explained that they were out of stock.(How can a restaurant be out of stock of the house wine?)Anyway our third choice was successful.Our meals were ordered and after 45 minutes the first course arrived.Meantime we were given the usual bread,alioli and olives which had not been ordered, but obviously charged.We were so hungry that we didn't send them back.We all had varying complaints about the food.My starter of avocado and prawns was tasteless apart from the piece of plastic that I found inside the avocado.This was reported to the waiter but at no time was there an apology from the management about this,and when the bill came,no deduction was made.One of the problems was that our waiter appeared to have no command of the English language and,as at least 90% of the diners appeared to be British,this could be an ongoing problem for this restaurant.One of my pet hates is when the staff top up your wine without being asked.I had to tell our waiter twice not to do this.The second time I mimed it as well as by now I discovered he couldn't understand me.Call me cynical but I feel that restaurants only do this so another bottle is ordered and,sure enough,we were asked twice if we wanted another bottle.Both times I declined.My main course was a very tough pork with mushroom sauce.The others had different reasons for not enjoying their food.We decided that enough was enough,paid the bill,and left.We all had a very enjoyable sweet of ice cream at the hut beside 1919 cafe.
Old 18-07-2012, 14:00

Default Ca'n Josep

Such a shame that you didn't receive the experience that you had hoped for. We know Josef well and he'd be disappointed to hear that the meal was not the normal 100% that he always strives to deliver. Hopefully it was a one off and it would not put you off trying it again in the future.
Old 18-07-2012, 14:11

I remember posting on here a couple of years ago about a very poor experience we had in O'Lume, though last year we gave it another chance & it was fantastic, therefore eating a there a few more times. Sorry to hear about Ca'n Josep though we have eaten in there many times & it has always been very good. Maybe like our experience in O'Lume it was a unfortunate one off.
lollipop likes this.
Old 18-07-2012, 16:19

Josep will be mortified to read about your experience, as he does read our posts.
I personally think that if you had asked to speak to him (he is usually there every evening), then he would have been extremely apologetic. The waiter you are speaking about does not speak fluent English, but is learning. Whilst it is true that many British people do frequent this restaurant, Trip Advisor is used by all nationalities, but I appreciate this caused you and your family a problem on the night in question.

Similarly, it is true to say that your wine glass will be topped up at this restaurant. We actually feel special when Jose pops over for a chat and refills the glass. He is not the sort of person to run his restaurant on mercenary lines, has a genuine wish to provide the best service and food.

Having congratulated Jose ourselves on his outstanding achievement on TA, he has always been humble, saying it is a lot of pressure to live up to. As you can probably tell, we are huge fans of C'an Josep and do hope you will give them a second chance!
Old 18-07-2012, 16:32

Stevo, just wanted to add my voice to the others urging you to give Ca'n Josep another try... Personally, I don't think that the food there is outstanding - there is better to be had elsewhere, at O Lume and Siller for example - but it's somewhere I would go for the friendly, welcoming atmosphere (though admittedly I have only eaten there out of season when they weren't under pressure).
Old 18-07-2012, 17:48

I am sure all restaurants have a bad night and unfortunately you have been unlucky as this is not the service Josep normally provides.

PP76
Jimbo the Jambo likes this.
Old 18-07-2012, 18:41

We were in there last Week and had a great meal and great service. Going back again this week for a second helping. You must have just been unlucky.
Jimbo the Jambo likes this.
Old 18-07-2012, 22:28

To be honest, C'an Josep is virtually family to us......the friendship and service we have enjoyed here, and at the related Joker Bar, just makes our holiday, and in two weeks we will be back enjoying Josep's superb hospitality.

That poor experience HAS to be a one off/bad night/unlucky encounter.

Listen folks.....this is one of the very best restaurants you will find in PP - forgive it one bad night.

We will be dining there on 29th July.....I have no doubt at all that we will have a great evening.

Josep..........keep it up mate! See you soon.

Duncan
Old 18-07-2012, 22:43

YAY......I so agree!!!!
Old 19-07-2012, 00:18

As I thought,Ca'n Josep does have it's fans.

Last edited by Stevo66; 19-07-2012 at 05:01.
Old 19-07-2012, 10:29

Stevo66, yes it does have its fans but no one should accept bad food or service. I agree with the others that Josep will be horrified to read this and hope that you might give it another try. We eat there often at all times of the year . But food is very subjective and not all restaurants will appeal to everyone. There are some in the Port that I don't go to for that reason.
debz1, Sparky, animagic21 and 1 others like this.
Old 19-07-2012, 10:29

Default C'An Josep

But well done you for posting Stevo. Your comments make for a much more balanced forum IMO.
We had a disappointing meal in one of the restaurants most people on this forum rave about and therefore have not had the courage to post anything about it.
debz1, Belladonna, Sparky and 4 others like this.
Old 19-07-2012, 10:38

Our meal at Can Josep wasnt as good as last year Im afraid

Id raved to my husband about the lamb Id had before and the sauce seemed quite different and it was rather greasy No problem with the wine or anything else and husband speaks Spanish so no probs there

Biggest disappointment was no guitarist this year they said it was too expensive
Old 19-07-2012, 18:34

But well done you for posting Stevo. Your comments make for a much more balanced forum IMO.

Thank you for that Lorenzo.I was wary about my posting as I am well aware that many people have known Josep since the time when he was probably wearing short trousers and working in Joker Bar.
Lorenzo likes this.