Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 19:10

Default The Parkin's 2012 trip report

Myself, wife Karen and our Daughter Sophia arrived in PP on the 6th of June for a 9 day stay which we thoroughly enjoyed, not least eating out everyday!
Here is a brief report of where we dined and our experiences...

DAY 1
We arrived mid afternoon so just grabbed a snack until early evening which we quickly decided to start off where we left off last year, at CORAL (Avenida Bocchoris - about 20 seconds from Pine walk and the sea). We love this place and is a firm favourite with our daughter as she is somewhat fond of the little cat which always hangs around. We kicked things off with a large Tumbet to share along with lovely bread and olives, then followed up with CORAL's speciality the shoulder of lamb which was just perfect and every bit as good as the one's we had before leaving last year. For desert we headed along the front to 'the hut" next to the roundabout for a lovely ice cream each.

DAY 2
Lunch of baguettes from LA CANTINA2 (situated on Carrer de Mendez Nunez just off the Formentor rd) which we ate back at our apartment, I can certainly recommend the Chicken with wasabi mayonnaise (yummy!).
For dinner we headed to an Italian/Pizza restaurant new to us called Il Angelo which is on C/ Vergen del Carme. Our daugher is somewhat of a Pasta addict so she was content with Penne Bolognase and myself and karen plumped for pizzas, a Four seasons and a Med veg which were very nice indeed with close on perfect bases - not too thin or too thick and with plenty of taste. All washed down with a few beers and another visit to the 'hut' for Sophia...Perfect!

DAY 3
We woke up to a cloudy day in PP so decided to drive down to Valldemossa for the day, hopefully to find the sun and have a wander round, which we did and found it to be a very nice place. Had a lunch of baguettes and a lasagne for Sophia at a cafe who's name escapes me now and which we found to be very errr... very average food wise but set in a lovely spot to relax and do a spot of people watching.
We decided to try out GURU for dinner as it's a place we have walked past many times and always been intrigued/tempted by the menu and how it always seems full of families early evening. Unfortunately it was a bit of a disappointment, Sophia had the homemade(?) fish fingers chips and veg which while looking promising were actually a little bland and luke warm. I went for chicken breast stuffed with cabbage and wrapped in bacon, the was nicely done if a little measly portion but the downside (for me anyway) was the fact it was smothered in a thick cream sauce which just seemed to mask any other flavour. Karen had the delicious sounding whole sea bream but was served greasy and just not tasty enough to warrant it's fresh description.
In a nut shell we wouldn't rush back but I have since read good things about their pizzas?

DAY 4
Picnic lunch from LA CANTINA 2 on the beach which again was tasty and good value. A big thumbs up for the owner and staff who run this little gem of a sandwich shop/deli, super friendly and deliciously different pastries and other innovative dishes everytime we called in. Our apartment was on the adjacent corner to LA CANTINA and it now seems it is open for a kind of relaxed bistro in the evenings until about 11pm.
We Decided to drive around the bay to old town Alcudia for dinner, specifically SA TAVERNA which we had enjoyed last year. This place serves traditional Tapas as well as having a beautiful rear garden complete with an outdoor grill from which Sophia's chicken breast (very good), and Karen's Swordfish (just as good as she remembered from last year) were barbecued. I plumped for the shoulder of lamb which was good but not quite up there with my benchmark lamb at CORAL. Sophia then insisted we visited the very well stocked ice cream parlour nearby for desert..... safe to say she went to bed content that night!

DAY 5
Lunch over in Pollensa at RESTAURANT IL GIARDINO which is right in the square and as it was Sunday afternoon it was nice to just sit, relax and watch the lovely market wind down and pack up. Homemade chicken nuggets for Sophia, a beautifully fresh and filling tomato bruschetta for Karen and a fab Lamb Ragu tagliatelle for me. Thumbs up all round.
Evening cocktails at the ILLA D'OR terrace followed by dinner at the famous LITTLE ITALY which was as good as ever, though the service could maybe have been a bit more attentive/cheery, I put this down to the Italy and whoever game being on the screen above the bar - not an issue really though. Food was good as ever mind and S enjoyed her Spag Bol while me and Karen opted for pizzas...spicy sausage,ham and sweet red peppers (sicilliana?) for me and a dramatic looking Marinara for Karen which was loaded with mussels. All rounded off with some beers and another trip to the 'hut'.

Part 2 to follow....
pollensa, sws97sdg, LK1960 and 6 others like this.

Last edited by pollensa; 05-07-2012 at 20:42. Reason: Enabled Link to la Cantina2!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 19:12

Default The Parkin's 2012 trip report - Part 2

DAY 6
Can't remember for the life of me what we did for lunch but for dinner we decided to give CAPPUCCINO a whirl as they had a rather good pull down projector screen showing that night's England Euro fixture inside next to the bar. Posh Chicken nuggets for Sophia which were blooming lovely and cheeseburgers for me and Karen which weren't half bad either, eyes lighting up when plates arrived containing two burgers each! Overall certainly not a cheap place but the professional staff and upmarket feel I think make it worthwhile for a treat.
'Hut' again before bed.........can you see a pattern emerging yet?

DAY 7
We took a trip around the bay for lunch to the wonderfully picturesque bar/restaurant S'ILLOT which is certainly off the beaten track (follow signs for Marina Bonaire from Alcudia, then carry on along small road which hugs the sea around a few tight bends and you'll come across it) but is worth the trip for lunch or indeed dinner, if not for the fantastic views back across the bay to PP then for the bloody good food this little restaurant serves. The menu is heavy on Paellas and fish dishes but we only wanted a snack so myself and Sophia went for a smaller portion of Spaghetti each and Karen sampled their spanish omelette. It would be the perfect spot to relax with a drink and watch the sun setting behind the mountains over PP…… must do next year!!
Made the short drive over to Pollenca that evening to sample a lovely looking little pizza place we had spotted a couple of days earlier, LA PENYA (which is on a corner between the main square and the square at the bottom of the steps) was certainly quite a find and one we voted as best pizzas this trip, just edging out last years winners - Little Italy. We kicked things off with a round of Sangria and Foccacia to share between the three of us, then Karen opted for a deliciously fresh and colourful Serano ham,rocket and cherry tomato pizza which looked picture perfect and tasted just so according to my good wife! I too had a pizza which I can only describe as a kind of Calzone but not folded - ie a pizza with a base on top of the topping(?), this again had ham,mushrooms and sweet peppers and was beautiful. Sophia craved more pasta and had a penne and salmon in tomato sauce which again looked and tasted good but was too creamy for her so mum helped out a little. Another round of Foccacia and drinks rounded the meal off at a restaurant I would not hesitate to recommend, it may not have a wonderful view being essentially down an alleyway but in the evening is a fab people watching spot being on a fairly well trodden corner. Back to PP via the 'hut' for desert before bed.

DAY 8
After a morning on the beach we decided to give ONA the new bar/restaurant next door to O'Hara's a go, this place is part of the newly opened MAR CALMA hotel on this corner of the Formentor rd. The few times we had walked past over the week it was very quiet which is a bit puzzling as the place looks so inviting with it's smart white decor and upmarket feel that we just had to have at least a drink and a butchers at the menu, and while it is a relatively small menu all the dishes on it sound good and prices are reasonable we thought. I went for a chicken and vegetable stir fry noodle dish (delicious) and Karen had a dish of ribbon pasta with asparagus and mushrooms with truffle oil. Sophia went for the less adventurous but none the less tasty fish and chips. It will be interesting how this place does being bang next O'Hara's….. they do seem rather odd neighbours - one being your stereotypical lively irish pub and the new comer obviously looking for a more classy customer(?). I must add the girl that served us was very friendly and made us very welcome indeed.
For dinner we went for a mooch round the square to see what tickled our taste buds. We decided on TIBERI as we had good experience here a few years ago before we had Sophia and I am pleased to say it didn't disappoint and service was good despite being very busy. Food was good and we weren't waiting too long before starters of calamari rings and nachos arrived - both good. For mains we had the local special of pork wrapped in cabbage and Karen enjoyed a fresh fish dish but can't remember exactly which fish!….but she assures me it was nice. Sophia had a burger which looked rather ordinary but served the purpose and arrived hot and cooked properly at least.

DAY 9
Last day….BOO!!!
We just wanted a relaxing and chilled last day so enjoyed the beach till early afternoon then changed and headed to ONA again for lunch, this time myself and Karen both had the Lamb pitta wraps which are served with a tzatziki and salad along with some rather tasty chips. Sophia had the spag bol which she wolfed down and was rewarded with a handful of chocolates from the very kind girl who hung around chatting to us even after her shift had finished. This is a really nice place and I hope it will be a success as it would be a loss if it wasn't still open for our visit next year.
It seemed fitting to finish off where we started and for that matter finished last year….at CORAL, a lovely welcome greeted us from the staff (not sure of there names) and an even nicer meal than our first night. A starter of large Tumbet to share again accompanied by fresh bread and olives, then the now legendary shoulder of lamb all round which it seemed nearly every other table was ordering too… got to be a sign that CORAL have got this dish nailed! We had a very relaxing last night and a final visit to the 'hut' before bed and the sobering thought of the trip back to the airport in the morning sets in…..

Until next year Puerto Pollenca…. ADIOS XXX
pollensa, sws97sdg, LK1960 and 8 others like this.
Old 05-07-2012, 19:30
Super Moderator

Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent trip report Danny and welcome to the forum .
Old 05-07-2012, 19:57
Banned

Well done Danny, great report and always nice when someone makes the effort. I too enjoyed Ona and as you rightly say, strange neighbours in O'Hara's. Also had the chicken noodle stir fry twice, very slow service but friendly and a fantastic venue. It will be a regular place for me I think.
Sparky and DannyP like this.
Old 05-07-2012, 20:44
Founder

Welcome to the forum & thanks so much for providing such a comprehensive report (& remembering what & where!)
Old 05-07-2012, 21:36

Welcome and what a brilliant report, well done, really enjoyed both!

On island time!!
Old 05-07-2012, 21:53

Great trip report, thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to part 2!
Old 05-07-2012, 21:58

Great write up Danny, did you take shorthand at the restaurants to remember it all? Thanks for taking the time.
Old 05-07-2012, 22:10

Welcome to the forum Danny, really enjoyed your reports. Keep posting!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:55

I enjoyed reading your reports, parts 1 & 2, and now have some new names on my list for October But I am still amazed at the good report for Tiberi - we went there on our last night last year as they had Lomo con Col on the board - and its my favourite Mallorcan dish. Apart from really bad service, the meal was disgusting - a piece of soggy cabbage with a tiny piece of flavourless pork etc But maybe they have upped their game since - lets hope so
TiberiRest likes this.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Great write up Danny, did you take shorthand at the restaurants to remember it all? Thanks for taking the time.
Haha, although we have been back in good old blighty for a few weeks now, our trip is still fresh and I hope it stays that way because it will be another year before the next

Thanks for the welcoming comments everyone
Old 06-07-2012, 10:20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
Thanks for the welcoming comments everyone
No problem Danny we are a very friendly forum, do keep posting .
Old 06-07-2012, 10:29

What happened on DAY 8!!!!!

No Hut for Sophia!!??

Thanks for a most detailed and enjoyable report.

You certainly know how to LIVE!!!
emmalou likes this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 06-07-2012, 10:53
Super Moderator

Danny i hope you don't mind but i have merged the two threads into one because i felt part one was getting buried under other threads .
sws97sdg likes this.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Danny i hope you don't mind but i have merged the two threads into one because i felt part one was getting buried under other threads .
Thanks for that Sparky, keeps it all neat and together.
LK1960 and Sparky like this.