Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 21:13

Default Copper's trip report.

We were in the Port last week too and thought it very busy and very hot !!

Still the only place on the island for us now !

Had some really good meals Stay was superb so had to go twice El Posito very good Brisa Marina a new one one for us was very good and really nice staff Can Ferra ( Sole still didnt fit on the plate ) was great Can Josep we were happy with the food but disappointed no more music ! Girl said too expensive !

One big disappointment as an experience was Tolos Walked past it loads of times and always busy Booked a table and they had given it to someone else ! One small table left outside jammed in next to large party You want it or not !!! Should have said not !! Took forever to get anything to eat Salad was served with 2 HOT plates ! Food generally was good but we were charged for 5 breads !! for 2 of us !!!!!! We just paid and left never to return ! Poor party of 4 next to us (only meal out in the Port ! ) had starter after main course ! and bill dumped on the table and they wanted a desert We wished them luck and left !

Its great to get tips off here as there are so many Restaurants Will try Hells Kitchen and Tiberi next time

Some lively evenings at Pub Imperial also ! Cant wait to come back
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2012, 08:51

Hi Copper We too had a similar experience at Tolos the other year - we got a table for 2 - and that was about that We waited 10 minutes - no menu, no drink, no bread etc - so we walked and never went back apart from when we were meeting a car mechanic there to sort out car problem - and then had an excellent cappuccino It's a shame really as its just round the corner from the October apartment.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03
Super Moderator

Thank you for taking the time to post your review Copper, i am sorry Tolos was a let down for you but lets hope it was just a bad night for them .
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58

Sorry I put my report in the wrong place Sparky !

Tolos wont be repeated really because of the waiters My husband said it must be one of the places that advertises "Waiters required no experience necessary "" !!

Generally in the Port even in the most modest places service is very good and the waiters are very helpful with wine selections There everything was dumped We asked 3 waiters for plates for our salad and then got hot ones ! Did feel sorry for our neighbouring table as they were so disappointed and was their only meal out of their Hotel To get your starter after you main and your mustard after you had eaten your steak isnt good enough ! Has a good situation though Not sure if they always add extra bread on ?????

Too many good places to eat in to try again

Am getting my "fix" of PP on the SeeMallorca webcam showong my favourite part of the beach !
Sparky, cherylbb and MairiCladach like this.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46

Great webcam, thanks for posting.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:22

Copper - I agree, there are so many good places to eat, what is the point in re-visiting somewhere that you have had a bad experience in.

We discovered where Bella Vista was this year and all I could think about when I walked past were the posts about the "logs"!! Why on earth would anyone want to eat there after reading that?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:46

Agree what you say about Bella Vista, as for Tolos my wife has always liked it over the years though the last two years they had charged my credit card twice for the same meal, I know mistakes are made but two years running. There was always an English lady in their who I assumed was married to the owner & was very good with organising service etc, though have not seen her the last two years.

Last edited by mwc; 04-07-2012 at 11:50. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20

Not sure what has happened at Tolos, we loved the place and the food was outstanding, however about 18 months ago it all changed, food mediocre, certainly not a place now that we hurry back to.

Hope they read these reviews so that they can get things back to how they used to be.
Old 05-07-2012, 16:18
Banned

I personally think a lot of the food standards/quality have dropped since last year.
Maybe if times are harder restaurant owners use food of a lesser quality?

Not good practice because people simply won't return.
Old 05-07-2012, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
I personally think a lot of the food standards/quality have dropped since last year.
Maybe if times are harder restaurant owners use food of a lesser quality?

Not good practice because people simply won't return.
Obviously its a very personal observation - one persons disappointment can be another's great experience - as we say back home (this for El Gordo) 'theers nowt as funny es folk'
My observation on the quality of food on offer in and around the port is that it is generally of good quality and worth the money - except one or two who are 'aving a larff' - easily spotted by astomomical prices compared to nearby competition.
As with most things you get what you pay for. It is unreasonable to expect a restaurant to do a cheap as chips MOD and expect the same quantity and best cuts etc as you would get eating off the a la carte menu.
Instead I think many restaurants should perhaps be congratulated for giving us punters the choice of cheap and cheerful menu of the day, whilst still having a varied and more expensive a la carte option for the evenings we want to spoil the ones we love
pollensa, El Gordo, Sparky and 4 others like this.
Old 05-07-2012, 16:57
Super Moderator

Yes i totally agree with you Clinkham .
Old 05-07-2012, 17:52

We have been very happy with the quality of food in the Port and even the food in Tolos wasnt that bad it was just trying to get it that was the problem !

We do vote with our feet and this year gave Tamerells a miss as last year we would wait 30 mins to get a bottle of wine at lunchtime with staff just running around liek headless chickens !

We have eaten in many restaurants including many Michelin starred ones over the years but nothing has ever touched Stay for service and value ! perhaps they could run a school for waiters !
debz1 likes this.
Old 05-07-2012, 20:01

Copper, I was interested in what you say about the service in Stay because I was less than impressed when we had lunch there recently. The food was fine and very reasonably priced and of course a lovely location but I didn't think the service was particularly good. We were served with drinks straight away and I agree there is no hurry and it is good to relax with a drink before ordering the food but everytime I tried to catch the waiter or one of the two waitress's eye to order I just felt they were deliberately ignoring us. As they approached where we were sitting they all took a right turn into the restaurant before they reached our table and ignored us! Once we did get served they were very polite but I was surprised as I had read nothing but good reports about the service and thought this to be a major feature of Stay. Additionally the waitress dropped a half-full small pot of (melted) butter right at my feet, just missing my clothes and while she apologised made no attempt to clean it up from the floor. I would prefer to be asked if we were ready to order within a reasonable space of time and then if not ready, they could return later. Maybe it was just me but I don't think I would rush to go back there as somehow I didn't feel welcome. (The rest of the family thought it was just me being silly but it is the way I felt - I didn't get this feeling anywhere else!)
lollipop likes this.
Old 05-07-2012, 20:06

I love Tolos....Mostly use it early afternoon though for a few ice cold beers and some seafood. Never been able to fault food, beer, and certainly not service. But we've only ever ate there once in the evening, and it was late and after the mad rush. Would be gutted if its gone to pot Will still be trying a few afternoon cold ones though when we arrive in 2 weeks
cherylbb likes this.
Old 05-07-2012, 21:27

Tolos has always been a favorite with us, it was one of the first places we ate in when we went with the kids nearly 20 year ago, they used to have the place mats with the map of the island on and it used to keep the kids quiet, looking where we had been and drawing on them.
We have been most years since then, and always look forward to it, we know the staff quiet well now and always get a friendly welcome.
We mainly go now for long lazy lunches off the beach, when we are quite happy to sit back with a bottle of wine for a couple of hours, enjoy the stunning view and watch the world go by.
Tolos may be one of those places that has become a victim of its own popularity, early evening it is so popular most times you cant get a table, and with this comes the inevitable delays, but at the end of the day we are on holiday and if you have to wait within reason then so what.
Hopefully these problems are just a one off, and don't forget they have just gone through record early summer temperatures and by reports it has been sometimes unbearable just to get out and about to eat and drink, imagine what it must have been like to work through this.
The food over the last few years has improved and I am looking forward to see if this standard has been continued.
Sparky and blue1970 like this.

On island time!!