Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 13:20

Default May Trip Report

Apologies for a couple of things in advance ...
Firstly I love food so I'll probably go on a bit and as a result I'll have to split this report into several parts over the next few days.
Secondly we do have quite a few photos of the various dishes but we're still to get round to uploading these yet but I will update the report once we've done so.

Part 1:
After a very busy Saturday: (For me - a glorious day at the Scottish Cup Final, for her - sorting out my attempt at packing from the previous day !) we arrived at the port on Sunday 20th May, just after 1pm, a little tired but excited to be back. Having hastily checked into the hotel and dumped the luggage it was a quick but pleasant walk along the Pine Walk to La Cantina for a Tapas lunch:
We immediately order two large beers (it’s always important to make sure you stay hydrated when you arrive in a warmer climate !) and briefly read the menu before placing our order for lunch: Onion Rings, Frito, Pork & Mushrooms, Patatas Bravas and Cuttlefish. All the dishes were excellent but the Onion Rings were the stand out dish - they are done in a lighter Tempura style batter and much thinner than the traditional Onion Rings you usually get .... this was all washed down by 'dos más cervezas grandes' (I think
the first 2 must have evaporated in the heat !). Cost: €42 inc. tip

After lunch we took a short detour to El Posito to book for the evening meal - we had a quick catch-up with Toni, Zak & Fernando and had just started chatting to Lyn and Colin when we were given 2 more beers and a small Paella .... thanks again to Colin for helping us out eating it (although, you didn't really need to eat the prawn shells !) - this was followed by slow stagger back to the hotel to relax, refresh and prepare for the evening ahead.

El Posito:
As has become traditional we started off with 2 of their fantastic Gin & Tonics (including Zaks 'lemon spaghetti'!) Having had a larger lunch than expected (we probably should have just had 4 Tapas at lunch instead of 5) we set about the bread, olives and alioli a little more slowly than usual and decided it would be sensible just to share a starter of Garlic Prawns. I chose the cod with bacon & alioli and Mogs picked the sole.

The Garlic prawns arrived and were beautiful as always - if you haven't tried these at El Posito you really should: in most of the restaurants in PP when you order garlic prawns you get a dish with oil in which there are some small prawns along with a few bits of garlic & chilli which is quite a nice dish however at El Posito you get a plate of huge prawns that that have been fried with garlic. The dish is beautifully seasoned and the combination of the sweet prawns, garlic and salt is just perfect.

Our meal was briefly interrupted as Jose saw us as he walked past on his way to Bonys, he saw us so popped in for a quick 'Hola Peoples !'.

Both fish mains were excellent and Tonis suggested wine 'Loess' was a great match. Again, in a futile attempt to be sensible we decided to skip dessert and just have a couple of americanos ....however the coffees arrived along with a two complementary brandies and couple of what we have decided to call fruit pizza (sort of thin danish pastry with fruit that I think Toni said came from Inca). Cost around: €85

As we were leaving Sparky provided a late breaking weather update - so on her advice we jumped into a taxi and made it back to the hotel a few minutes before the storm started - Thanks again Lyn !

Day 2:
There was some intermittent rain throughout the morning which we carefully avoided by strategically nipping into Los Faroles for a beer and stopping off at Bonys for lunch (a couple of tasty and reasonably priced baguettes).

As we were still a little concerned about the weather we decided to stay closer to the hotel for our evening meal - so went to Bar Coral:
2 Gin and tonics along with the bread, olives and alioli. In general, when we go to Bar Coral we usually skip the starter but this evening we must have been feeling particularly hungry as I chose the Asparagus with mayonnaise and Mogs the Prawn cocktail - both of which were 'okay' but in future I suspect we'll go back to the usual procedure of skipping the starter.
For mains we both had the fillet steak with roquefort sauce which, as we've come to expect, this was cooked superbly.
Desserts: Crema Catalan for me and 'Tentacion de Cappucino' for Mogs which were both good ... and even better were the coffees:
dos carajillos con brandy.
We also had a couple of Schnapps on the house.
Bill came to ninety-something Euros.

Day 3 ...... a little later !
pollensa, sws97sdg, LK1960 and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2012, 14:49

Great report Doogz, really enjoyed reading it. Looking forward to the next installment.
Old 07-06-2012, 14:51

Enjoying your report - Looking forward to day 3

Re Posito and the bread/olives/alioli - on our visit we got the olives ok, and then the bread eventually arrived at the same time as the starters - never got to see the alioli, although the next table was tucking in to theirs
Old 07-06-2012, 15:14

Brilliant report Doogz, keep em coming

On island time!!
Old 07-06-2012, 16:02

Part 2:

Day 3 (Tues 22nd):
Popped into Nostalgia for lunch - just a couple of beers, sarnies and chips but all very pleasant and quite reasonable at €20 Inc tip.

Evening meal was a trip to La Llonja:
Aperitifs were G&T for me and a Cava Rosado for Mogs which we enjoyed while trying to decide on the food. We eventually decided to go with the Menu del Dia:
Gazpacho for Mogs and Spaghetti with Salmon para mí, and we both went with the Chicken with Gorgonzola for main. Dessert was lovely - a sort of Apple Strudel style crepe with ice cream.
We went with the white wine (and water) to accompany the meal and finished off with 2 Americano's and complimentary Amerettos con hielo.
As ever the food was fantastic and very reasonable (€75 Inc Tip) for quality of the food on offer. In a lot of ways La Llonja is quite similar to Stay in terms of quality and format but after trying both restaurants over several visits we've come to the conclusion that La Llonja offers a better standard of service in a more intimate setting and is very slightly cheaper too.

Day 4 (Weds 23rd):
A 2nd visit to Bar Coral - this time for lunch. We both had the Pepito De Lomo (Pork loin, on a baguette with fried onions). A fairly simple dish but one of the most appetising of the holidays - the combination of succulent pork and sweet onions is difficult to better. We also had the usual bread, olives and alioli and a couple of large beers - an absolute bargain at €20 Inc tip.

Our evening meal was at O'Lume which I posted a quick note on at the time but here is the extended “director’s cut ” version:
Upon arrival we order 2 champagne cocktails as we enjoyed these Jaime was quite excitedly telling us about his new Chef Fran(cisco) and the changes to the menu. We've been to O'lume on several previous visits and it’s clear that Jaime is passionate about food and particularly proud of the fresh ingredients used at his restaurants but it was obvious that the arrival of Fran seems to have given Jaime even more enthusiasm (and when you taste the food you can understand why !)

For Amuse-bouche we had a fish mousse and some small toasts topped with salmon, cream cheese and caviar.
I had a starter of duck salad while Mogs had goats cheese "gratinated". Mogs main course was the confit of duck (stuffed with pine nuts & raisins in a sweet sherry reduction) and I had rich pork casserole (using a special cut of Iberico fillet) - this was similar in style to the lamb caldereta that used to appear on the menu but amazingly it was tastier and more tender !
For dessert we shared a dish of Grand Marnier crepes.
As with almost all our meals at Olume we enjoyed the food with some water and a bottle of the excellent 'Santiago Roma' Albarino.
2 Americanos and complimentary Amarettos con hielo and the lovely home-made chocolates completed an exceptional meal. (Cost around €80)

We immediately knew we would make a return visit to O’lume - but the challenge would be to pick different dishes after enjoying these ones so much !

Day 5 ...... mas tarde !
pollensa, sws97sdg, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 07-06-2012, 16:37

Smile

Just wonderful, I am enjoying every meal along with you. Such a great report . Looking forward to the next installment !!!
Regards,
Jat
Old 07-06-2012, 16:47

Part 3:
Day 5 (Thurs 24th)
A fairly standard start to the day with beers at Los Faroles followed by baguettes at Bonys for lunch but then it got a little more interesting ...
Knowing that we were planning to hit the Ruta Del Tapeo and with neither of us really that used to drinking alcohol we decided it would be a sensible option to have a little food before heading out, so we popped along to the Illa D'or for afternoon tea. As we'd previously been advised on the forum, 1 between 2 was ample and we really enjoyed the selection of sandwiches, scones and cakes.

A couple of hours later we headed out for the main event which I'll do my best to summarise:
C'an Balache: Bread topped with Chorizo and potato salad + a rice dish with Ham and Peas.
Bellavista: fried Courgette coated with a flavoured breadcrumb
Bar Rumbo: # 1 Onion Coca, Tomato Coca and a filo pastry basket with sausage meat
Bar Rumbo: # 2 Bread topped with Spanish Omelette, Bread topped with Tuna Mayo
Neptuno: Bread topped with coleslaw
C'an Torrens: Fish goujons with a home-made mayonnaise dressing + bread
Cafe D'eu Moll: Chicken Curry with rice
Can Tofel: sadly this was mobbed with locals and we couldn't get anywhere near ..... but very keen to try next time!
La Cantina 2: Green Gazpacho for Mogs + Beef meatball in pastry with Feta cheese for me. (There was a third choice offered to us but sadly neither of us can remember what it was … to be fair we were on drink 8th by this time !)
Bar Rustic: Bread with scrambled egg & smoked salmon + Bread with sliced egg and chicken.

We really enjoyed the night and (with the exception of Neptuno and Bellavista) we will definitely be making return visits to all the restaurants at some point.
Bar Rumbo was obviously our favourite (largely as it was so obvious the tapas offered were all homemade and you were getting things that were part of their genuine tapas selection) and the visit here was enough for us to decide we had to return there for lunch.

Day 6 (Fri 25th)
El Posito for the lunchtime Menu del Dia:
Mogs had the Rice & Fish Soup to start and I went with the Mallorquin soup (which I'd never had before). Obviously, having both ordered soup to start with I was a little confused when Zak brought a bowl and spoon for Mogs but just left me with my knife & fork ... for those of you who haven't had it before Mallorquin "soup" is actually more a stew of vegetables and
bread. Regardless of the slight confusion we both really enjoyed our starters. For mains we had meatballs in tomato sauce with chips - again very tasty !
Dessert was Lemon meringue pie for me and Almond Cake for Mogs - both were excellent.

All of the above was washed down with the house red.
The whole meal was really enjoyable and at €10 each has to be the bargain meal of the holiday.

In the evening we went to Cellar La Parra:
While reading the menu we had the usual 2 G&Ts with the bread & olives.
I had the grilled liver to start followed by the rabbit.
Mogs went with the gazpacho followed by grilled kidneys.
The food was great and the portions are very generous .... so no room for desserts again - although we did bravely manage 2 carajillos con brandy !
Throughout the meal we enjoyed a bottle of the house red which is really rather pleasant and unbelievable value at under €6.
Total bill came to €45 - exceptionally good value !

Day 7 ..... ¡mañana!
pollensa, sws97sdg and Sparky like this.
Old 07-06-2012, 18:38

Wow what a fantastic report can't wait for the next part
Old 07-06-2012, 19:21

Very impressed with your Tapas stamina And we havent been to Cellar La Parra for a long time - you reminded me how good it is - will def go in October
Doogz1874 and Sparky like this.
Old 07-06-2012, 21:43

Goodness me! what a marvellous nutritional report ,clear & concise, I thought it was only us that did 2 large comestible intakes per day it's nice to know we have compatriates .
Old 08-06-2012, 12:15

Part 4:
Day 7 (Sat 26th)

Lunch was our return visit to Bar Rumbo for more of their wonderful Tapas:
We ordered a couple of large beers then proceeded to the bar top display of the days Tapas to try a pick from the various options available - this proved a little bit more difficult than we had anticipated but finally we manage to whittle down our choice to:
a little bit of everything ! There were prawns, sepia (cuttlefish), stuffed squid, potato salad, Frito (one of the best I've ever had), Spanish Omelette, Lomo con Col (Pork wrapped in cabbage) and a basket of bread that we really didn't need ..... but we couldn't help but use it to mop up some of the wonderful flavours & sauces from the dishes. The bill came to €25 which was very reasonable for the amount & quality of food we had.

Dinner was at one of our favourite beer stops - Los Faroles. The restaurant has had a bit of work done over the winter and looks even nicer inside than it used to. In particular the toilets have been improved and now allow wheelchair access.

To start Mogs had the stuffed mussels and I went with the Iberico ham. For mains Mogs had the grilled sea bass and I had the shoulder of lamb with rosemary. The food was brilliant - my lamb just fell of the bone. For refreshments we had a bottle of white Macia Batle & Water with the meal and dos carajillos con brandy and 2 Lemon Schnapps on the house. Bill came to €69

Day 8 (Sun 27th)

Another trip to La Cantina for a tapas lunch:
This time we managed to go with just the 4 tapas: Patatas Bravas, whitebait, chicken croquettes and the wonderful onion rings. This was once more accompanied by the obligatory 2 large beers. Food was great again and bill came to €22.

Our evening meal saw us return to El Posito yet again.
We skipped the starters as we had ordered a Paella Negra in advance I we know this can be rather filling !
We enjoyed a couple of G&Ts (with lemon spaghetti !) and ordered a bottle of Loess as we waited for the Paella to arrive - trying not to eat too much of the bread or olives.
When the paella appeared it was just as good as we remembered from our last visit - a great mix of squid, prawns, rice and broccoli which is enhanced by the addition of a little alioli
Having skipped the starter we decided we could probably manage a dessert so we both order the lemon sorbet with Vodka - I'm not sure if something was lost in translation or if Fernando just wanted to see us get drunk but when dessert arrived we found out we had Vodka with lemon sorbet !
We finished off with dos carajillos con brandy. The Bill was €75 and came with 2 brandies on the house - which we enjoyed while chatting with Lyn & Colin at the bar.... followed by another 2 brandies on the house: The walk back to the hotel seemed to pass by very quickly for some reason that night - just another sensational night at El Posito

Part 5 ..... pronto !
pollensa, sws97sdg, Sparky and 2 others like this.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:56

Part 5:
Day 9 (Mon 28th)

For a little change of scenery we had a trip to Palma so had lunch there at an excellent (although perhaps a little expensive) Tapas restaurant "La Cueva".

We returned to the port for dinner and went back to O'lume:
Naturally we kicked things off with a couple of champagne cocktails again and set about the difficult task of deciding what to order from the menu. (On our first visit the menus were just printed but now they were in their leather covers). We were making reasonable progress on our choices from the menu when Jaime came back to both assist & confuse us by providing some extra 'specials' to choose from. Next Jaime brought out some lamb to show off the chefs (Fran) butchery skills - a beautiful prepared shoulder of lamb (with the bone removed) and expertly french trimmed chops.
For Amuse-bouche we had some trampo & some fish mousse.
With hindsight we both agreed we had probably made a mistake with the starters - I had the fois gras and Mogs picked the spanish meat selection : both dishes were perfect but other than the excellent presentation they didn't really utilise Frans talents.
We made up for this on the mains with us both taking advantage of the specials: Me the shoulder of spring lamb, for Mogs a sort of "Salmon Wellington": 2 pieces of salmon seperated by a thin layer of membrillo (quince paste) and foie gras all wrapped in pastry.
I really enjoyed my lamb but the 'Salmon wellington' was just breath-taking !

As usual we had water and a bottle of the excellent 'Santiago Roma' Albarino which only added to our enjoyment of the meal.
2 Americanos and complimentary Amarettos con hielo & home-made chocolates rounded-of a perfect meal. (Cost around €90)

Day 10 (Tue 29th)

An enjoyable lunch of baguettes & beers at Bonys.

Evening meal was at La Llonja and we decided to go with the A la Carte menu rather than the MDD:
I went with the spaghetti with truffle sauce (which I just love and have nearly every holiday), then the Salmon in Red Curry Sauce.
Mogs had the carrot salad followed by cod in garlic sauce.
The food was excellent and complemented by an excellent Albarino and water.
Meal concluded with 2 Americanos and complimentary Amarettos con hielo. Bill came to €92.

Almost done .... only days 11 & 12 to go !
pollensa, Sparky, Ronnie and 1 others like this.
Old 08-06-2012, 15:59

Part 6:
Day 11 (Weds 30th)

Lunch Bar Coral - beer, bread, olives and alioli followed by the Pepito De Lomo con queso again which was lovely - again !

In the evening we returned to Cellar La Parra:
Bread & olives was followed by a portion of croquettes to share. For the main course we both had the fantastic suckling pig:
again the food was excellent (the pig was the perfect balance of crisp skin & soft tender meat) as was the house wine. Finished off with dos carajillos con brandy and the final bill was an amazing €48.

Day 12 (Thurs 31st)

Having enjoyed both our evening meals at O'lume so much and after Jaime telling us the Fran had previously won awards for his tapas we knew we had to go back for lunch on our last day. After visiting O'lume so many times before this was a new experience for us - our first ever lunch: It seemed a little unusual, but very pleasant to be sitting in the beautiful courtyard during the day.
Having bumped into Jaime in the street a little earlier in the day we had mentioned we were popping round for lunch so he had very kindly reserved us the shadiest table available.
We ordered a large beer for me & glass of white wine (Albarino) for the lady - while we reviewed the tapas menu which was again supplemented by a few daily specials. From the standard menu we picked: patatas bravas & grilled shrimps, from the specials: Lemon Fish and Choricitos Galician Style (Small chorizo style sausages cooked in fire water -aguardiente- at the table).
All the dishes were cooked perfectly and Jaime as ever was an impeccable host. The bill came to €33.

As always we finish our holiday with one last evening meal at El Posito:
2 remarkable G&Ts (with lemon spaghetti !) along with bread, olives and alioli while we studied menu and list of special on the blackboard. Eventually we made our decisions: Tumbet followed by Tenderloin in whisky sauce for me and Calamares Romano, then seafood casserole with lobster for Mogs.
As a fairly dedicated carnivore I'm amazed at how much I enjoy the Tumbet at El Posito and Mogs declared her seafood casserole with lobster the "best dish of the holiday" (I also declared the bib she had to wear while eating it "best outfit of the holiday" ).
(Bill came to €104 - good value for the food we were served)
We attempted to complete the evening with 2 americanos & 2 Brandies - but that wasn't good enough for Toni who opened a bottle of cava for us which we enjoyed at the bar with a final chat with Lyn & Colin.

There isn't really a nice way to end a holiday in PP, ideally it would just go on for ever, but sitting in one of our favourite restaurants surrounded by friends is as good as its likely to get ...... now we just need to get booked up for the next holiday so we can do it all over again !

Doogz & Mogs
Fin - No Hay Nada Mas.
pollensa, sws97sdg, Sparky and 3 others like this.
Old 08-06-2012, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogz1874 View Post
Part 6:
Day 11 (Weds 30th)

Lunch Bar Coral - beer, bread, olives and alioli followed by the Pepito De Lomo con queso again which was lovely - again !

In the evening we returned to Cellar La Parra:
Bread & olives was followed by a portion of croquettes to share. For the main course we both had the fantastic suckling pig:
again the food was excellent (the pig was the perfect balance of crisp skin & soft tender meat) as was the house wine. Finished off with dos carajillos con brandy and the final bill was an amazing €48.

Day 12 (Thurs 31st)

Having enjoyed both our evening meals at O'lume so much and after Jaime telling us the Fran had previously won awards for his tapas we knew we had to go back for lunch on our last day. After visiting O'lume so many times before this was a new experience for us - our first ever lunch: It seemed a little unusual, but very pleasant to be sitting in the beautiful courtyard during the day.
Having bumped into Jaime in the street a little earlier in the day we had mentioned we were popping round for lunch so he had very kindly reserved us the shadiest table available.
We ordered a large beer for me & glass of white wine (Albarino) for the lady - while we reviewed the tapas menu which was again supplemented by a few daily specials. From the standard menu we picked: patatas bravas & grilled shrimps, from the specials: Lemon Fish and Choricitos Galician Style (Small chorizo style sausages cooked in fire water -aguardiente- at the table).
All the dishes were cooked perfectly and Jaime as ever was an impeccable host. The bill came to €33.

As always we finish our holiday with one last evening meal at El Posito:
2 remarkable G&Ts (with lemon spaghetti !) along with bread, olives and alioli while we studied menu and list of special on the blackboard. Eventually we made our decisions: Tumbet followed by Tenderloin in whisky sauce for me and Calamares Romano, then seafood casserole with lobster for Mogs.
As a fairly dedicated carnivore I'm amazed at how much I enjoy the Tumbet at El Posito and Mogs declared her seafood casserole with lobster the "best dish of the holiday" (I also declared the bib she had to wear while eating it "best outfit of the holiday" ).
(Bill came to €104 - good value for the food we were served)
We attempted to complete the evening with 2 americanos & 2 Brandies - but that wasn't good enough for Toni who opened a bottle of cava for us which we enjoyed at the bar with a final chat with Lyn & Colin.

There isn't really a nice way to end a holiday in PP, ideally it would just go on for ever, but sitting in one of our favourite restaurants surrounded by friends is as good as its likely to get ...... now we just need to get booked up for the next holiday so we can do it all over again !

Doogz & Mogs
Fin - No Hay Nada Mas.
Great reports,Mouth watering . Are you going on a diet now ?????
pollensa, LK1960 and Sparky like this.
Old 08-06-2012, 16:21
Super Moderator

What can i say.......... thank you for a fantastic trip report, i have enjoyed reading all of it.
Can i just add that it was an absolute pleasure to have been lucky enough to see you both again and we really enjoyed a few post dinner drinks at the bar with you both. Hasta proximo amigos .

P.S. Zach loved the " lemon spaghetti" comments LOL!!!!
Doogz1874 likes this.