Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 11:35

Default To P or not to P ??.

I will never step foot in the Pines Bar again. Last week, my wife, our two young kids and myself went to the Pines to watch football. We were there for atleast 2 hours and must've spent 20 euros plus. The next day, my 4 year old son and I were walking back to the apartment when he informed me that he urgently needed to use the toilet. We were on the Formentor road, walking away from town and there is not much about in the way of shops and restaurants so, as we were about 100 yards past the Pines, I thought that would be my best bet. I marched my little boy down there, entered and asked the guy who'd served me 3 or 4 times the day before, if he could use the toilet. He suddenly stood in front of us, blocking our way to his precious khazi and told me that i would have to give him some money before my son could wee in it. My wife, who had carried on walking home, had the money on her so I literally didn't have a cent to my name, so I ended up having to turn round and find other facilities, with my son crying, worried he would wet himself. With an attitude like this, it's no wonder this place is empty and to be honest, I'm glad it is. Spanish run bars like Bony's can't do enough for your children and shower them with free sweets and crisps etc. having never met us before. And it's always busy.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-05-2012, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty perera View Post
I will never step foot in the Pines Bar again. Last week, my wife, our two young kids and myself went to the Pines to watch football. We were there for atleast 2 hours and must've spent 20 euros plus. The next day, my 4 year old son and I were walking back to the apartment when he informed me that he urgently needed to use the toilet. We were on the Formentor road, walking away from town and there is not much about in the way of shops and restaurants so, as we were about 100 yards past the Pines, I thought that would be my best bet. I marched my little boy down there, entered and asked the guy who'd served me 3 or 4 times the day before, if he could use the toilet. He suddenly stood in front of us, blocking our way to his precious khazi and told me that i would have to give him some money before my son could wee in it. My wife, who had carried on walking home, had the money on her so I literally didn't have a cent to my name, so I ended up having to turn round and find other facilities, with my son crying, worried he would wet himself. With an attitude like this, it's no wonder this place is empty and to be honest, I'm glad it is. Spanish run bars like Bony's can't do enough for your children and shower them with free sweets and crisps etc. having never met us before. And it's always busy.

Speaking from my own observations and reading the general comments on this forum, your disparaging remarks regarding the Pines bar/restaurant and it's hosts appear rather harsh and difficult to believe we are talking about the same establishment.

The guy's that successfully run the bar are welcoming and friendly and provide clean toilet facilities for paying clientèle which I think is perfectly reasonable. The bar is very close to the sea and sand so you have to draw a line somewhere regarding people walking in off the beach or taking the longish walk back to the Bellresguard estate who then attempt to use the toilet facilities without wishing to buy anything. Put yourself in their shoes.....Would you like it or allow it on a daily basis!?

As a matter of interest, did you remind " the guy " that you used the bar the day before? Given the circumstances I suspect the outcome would have been different if you did.

Last edited by pinewalkstroll; 21-05-2012 at 18:15.
Old 21-05-2012, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinewalkstroll View Post
Speaking from my own observations and reading the general comments on this forum, your disparaging remarks regarding the Pines bar/restaurant and it's hosts appear rather harsh and difficult to believe we are talking about the same establishment.

The guy's that successfully run the bar are welcoming and friendly and provide clean toilet facilities for paying clientèle which I think is perfectly reasonable. The bar is very close to the sea and sand so you have to draw a line somewhere regarding people walking in off the beach or taking the longish walk back to the Bellresguard estate who then attempt to use the toilet facilities without wishing to buy anything. Put yourself in their shoes.....Would you like it or allow it on a daily basis!?

As a matter of interest, did you remind " the guy " that you used the bar the day before? Given the circumstances I suspect the outcome would have been different if you did.
Obviously no bar wants to be used as a public toilet and many have resorted to placing signs pointing out that the toilets are for clients of the establishment only. In Palma you often have to ask for the key to the locked toilet. However personally I think there are two valid points here - firstly we were talking about a young child who was obviously in distress and desperate to use a toilet and secondly this bar hardly has 100 clients in one day and so should have recognised a family that were in there the previous day watching the football. Many restaurants here have staff who welcome with open arms clients from who return from one year to another so I am sure he should have remembered the person from one day to another especially as I dont think this bar has more than a handful of customers anyhow. It has certainly left a nasty reminder of Puerto Pollensa to this customer and thats not acceptable surely?
Old 22-05-2012, 07:56

Have got to agree with JMD40. The attitude here is disgraceful especially at a time when business is tight. But whenever or whatever we are talking of a little 4 year old here and what message does that give to him too? No discretion has been used and this publicity will certainly not be good for them. The negative is stronger than the positive often - people will remember this and the price of a young child spending a penny will cost them many euros. I hope this person feels it was worthwhile!
MairiCladach likes this.
Old 23-05-2012, 08:02

I've worked in the pub & bar industry for the last 25 years and can quite honestly say that I've never come across a bar owner who refuses the use of their conveniences - as long as the person concerned has the decency to ask.

Fully appreciating that it must be a pain to have people using their toilet as a public loo, to stand in front of the door and refuse a 4 year old kid is churlish in the extreme - and in my opinion deserves all the bad publicity it gets.
MairiCladach and pollensacare like this.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:02

That's certainly a very good way of ensuring that a customer will never come back! How extraordinary that someone with that attitude should have entered the hospitality industry. And I always thought that in much of Europe including Spain, because of the lack of public toilets, it was more or less an unwritten law that cafes/bars allowed you to use their facilities - most customers choose to buy a coffee or packet of crisps just to be polite in any case, and those that don't/(or can't as in this case!) are surely much more likely to return another day as paying customers if they are treated with kindness and civility. Perhaps the Brits are just more possessive about their toilets? I have a friend with IBS who has been refused the use of toilets in shops/cafes in the UK, despite having (with great embarrassment) explained the situation... he's never had a similar problem in Spain though.

It's a real pity for that business because now, for Forum readers, that particular establishment will always be associated with this incident - and they will have lost quite a few customers.
MairiCladach likes this.

Last edited by kate1; 23-05-2012 at 09:06.
Old 23-05-2012, 13:39

Thumbs up

I didn't want to post anything before because it would have only blown the storm, but I am appalled at some of these comments you are all making.

This is one of my top cafe's in the whole of PP, the guys have always been so friendly and offer such a great service. And many think the same.
I agree this incident doesn't look good, but we have only one side to the story and for others to come along and literally tear down their morale reputation is just so shocking.

Ok, there's no such thing as public toilets in Spain we know that. If you want to use one it's common sense to buy a bottle of water or something first, and especially for hygiene reasons I understand.

I am sure if a simple "Hi I was in yesterday, not sure if you remember us but we just wanted to use your toilet quickly" was mentioned the situation would have been so easily resolved.
I think if I had been the only waiter on a busy football night, I would have had trouble remembering everyone who was in the day before aswell.

Some of you might dismiss my comments and of course you are entitled to and being only 17 you might say what do I know! But I know that there are always two sides to a story and there has to be a balanced view, but to start a witch hunt is really not very fair. On forums around the world people can post some very unkind comments, I really hope that this forum doesn't end up going down this route too often.

Matthew.
pinewalkstroll and fil6699 like this.

Last edited by Sea Captain; 23-05-2012 at 13:41.
Old 23-05-2012, 14:55

Have to agree with Sea Captain last year caught short and Corbi Mari just pointed the direction no questions asked lovely place. I do know places like you to get a drink but people can abuse.
Old 23-05-2012, 14:58

Well said Sea Captain.

Have always found staff at Pines more than polite. I know its hard when little ones need the loo, everyone can have an off day but by reminding first you've been before and asking things may be different?
pinewalkstroll likes this.
Old 23-05-2012, 16:37

There is no getting away from the fact that we are talking about a little 4 year old here!
We teach our children to think the best of people and from an early age they are taught that most adults will always help you in time of trouble. This little one has learnt from an early age that this certainly wasn't the case here.
Ok as you say sea captain we have one side of the story but I really can not understand how there could possibly be another side to the story as the facts are a little 4 year old needed to use the toliet and the request was rejected. Those seem to be the facts and in my mind totally unacceptable!
Jimbo the Jambo likes this.
Old 23-05-2012, 18:24
Super Moderator

I really can see both sides of this.
Bar owners are very hard pressed in these turbulent times and their overheads have increased greatly.
I have never seen anyone refused the use of the toilets anywhere in the Port and this case does seem to be a bit harsh, especially as it was a young child who was turned away.
However i disagree with Matthew in so much as i would not say there is a "witch hunt", i think most members are just concerned that this case gives the impression that the Port is not as child friendly as it is.
Perhaps the owners of The Pines could tell us their side of the story, but will ask those of you who have already made your point not to turn it into an endless debate. Thanks for your cooperation .
Old 23-05-2012, 18:50

I don't think anyone has the intention of turning this into an endless debate Sparky!
Old 23-05-2012, 19:14

I agree Sparky, not only an endless one but maybe a pointless one until we hear from the other side! There are always two sides to every argument!

On island time!!
Old 23-05-2012, 19:54

Smile

You are all wrong , there's always 3 sides to a story my version ,their version, then of course there's the truth.
Old 23-05-2012, 20:16

Some of you might dismiss my comments and of course you are entitled to and being only 17 you might say what do I know! Posted by Sea Captain

Don't worry Matthew, it has nothing to do with age, you are intitled to your opinion as much as any member, and the fact you know the place and what the people are like is important. Your posts are always welcome along with your photos!
pollensa, jiggggy, Sparky and 2 others like this.

On island time!!