Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Eating Gluten free in Puerto Pollensa (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/8797-eating-gluten-free-puerto-pollensa.html)

kj.huyton 24-05-2012 22:27

Eating Gluten free in Puerto Pollensa

My 13 year old daughter is coeliac, we are going to peurto pollensa at the end of July, she loves her food and is not a fussy eater can anyone recommend good cafes and restaurants in the area that cater for coeliacs??

Good ice cream that is suitable, or supermarkets that sell gluten free produce, I really need some help to give my daughter a stress free holiday she so deserves it.

sws97sdg 25-05-2012 07:44

Hi Kj, I think Bellavista have some gluten free dishes and Trencadora in the town certainly does gluten free pasta.
The English food shop should stock some of the brands you recognise, and even the larger supermarket in the port might, we saw a lot of new veggie stuff also so worth trying, hope you all have a great holiday

sws97sdg 25-05-2012 07:50

On the subject, not for you daughter oh cause, Estrella Dam now do a sin gluten version of their famous bottled beer, I have tried it for research purposes and it's very nice!

meg1973 25-05-2012 08:29

hi kj , our son is a coeliac he was diagnosed a good few years ago , we found that if you asked the restaurants what they can and cant have they are usually really good and everything is fresh also also if you go to coeliac.co.uk you can get a translation card for spanish that says what they can and cant have to help you ,to buy food the main chemist sells sin gluten items but the big eroski in pp have a better selection now than they did 4 years ago , but also check with your airline also as we did and managed to get an extra 10kg of hold luggage for our sons prescription food , but you will have to get your doctor to give a medical line for proof to the airline , but you will have to speak to the airline its a must ,if your daughter likes italians laroc and little italy will cook gluten free pasta dishes for you , and if your not sure take your own and they will take it away and cook it, anything else you want on info even just pm me

meg1973

jat 25-05-2012 21:03

Hi Kj,
I too am coeliac and visited PP at Easter for the first time since my diagnosis over the Winter. We ate in C` an Ferra, just behind the Tabac opposite the marina, most evenings and their menu is varied and I asked the staff and they advised me what was suitable.
I brought my own crusty rolls from home which they heated for me so I Could have bread and aioli with everyone else, and they were very knowledgeable about the condition.
We also dined in El Posito no problem, and in a few cafes where I just gave them my sin guten bread and I could have sandwiches if I wanted to.
As mentioned before the Eroski stocks sin gluten bread, corn flakes , pasta and their own brand items are well marked with allergy sign. I was a bit concerned before my visit but every where we ate was able to accomodate me most willingly.
have a wonderful time,
Regards jat

kj.huyton 31-05-2012 09:32

Thanks again to all, my list of suitable restaurants is growing, it's going to make things so much easier :):)

cherylbb 17-06-2012 12:58

Iru restaurant on the front also caters for coeliacs.
''gluten free- no problem'' :)
Last year they offered a gluten free menu, specially baked bread rolls & gluten free main courses & desserts.

biomekanik 21-08-2012 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj.huyton (Post 71459)
My 13 year old daughter is coeliac, we are going to peurto pollensa at the end of July, she loves her food and is not a fussy eater can anyone recommend good cafes and restaurants in the area that cater for coeliacs??

Good ice cream that is suitable, or supermarkets that sell gluten free produce, I really need some help to give my daughter a stress free holiday she so deserves it.

How did you get on, am thinking of going next year with my 7 year old daughter?

pollensa 04-09-2012 14:48

I've just read on Facebook that laCantina2 (great take-away) are now offering gluten-free baguettes. :)

pollensaddict 05-05-2013 23:55

Hi we are returning to PP in June and I can't wait, however, I have been diagnosed coeliac this week so I am very anxious about eating out! Does anybody know if there are many restaurants with gluten free options and are they advertised? It's going to be such a change, going to miss the pizzas in Little Italy, ooh and the croissants in cafe 19!

Sparky 06-05-2013 08:45

Hi Pollensaddict, i have moved your post here from the "Vegetarian" thread. As you will see there are plenty of options for you :D.

monty perera 08-05-2013 12:48

Try La Cabana. It's a tapas bar on the front, a bit further up from C'an Josep. We went there last summer, shortly after my wife had been diagnosed as a coeliac and they really looked after her. They offer a seperate gluten free menu and even baked some GF bread. Lovely tapas and a lovely couple cooking and serving it.

jat 08-05-2013 19:39

We have returned a couple of times since my post in this section dated 12 May 2012 and have eaten in the restaurants mentioned in it, also Stay on the last visit -- excellent food and no problem making a few alterations to dishes chosen and pointing out what would be suitable for me.

Also ,stop in the big Carrefour on the way out of Palma on the way to PP if you are driving as they have a good selection of gluten free products.

Because I eat alot of fish / shellfish I have not encountered a problem with eating out as most of the establishments we frequent have this on the menu and I just avoid eating chips.
have a wonderful trip ,
Jat

russets 09-05-2013 07:52

why do you avoid the chips. Can't be a plate of chips on hols

MairiCladach 09-05-2013 19:14

I imagine the chip avoidance may be due to the fact that so many frozen chip manufacturers now insist on adding wheat-based coatings/'batters' to their perfectly fine potatoes! Really annoys me, especially on behalf of my gluten-free-diet sister!:(