Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-08-2006, 23:26

Default Good Bars

We visited lots of bars on holiday and I thought I'd make a little list of our favourites.

Bony's was as efficient at ever at keeping my husband's thirst at bay. We didn't see much of Jose but the two young waitresses were great at looking out for customers who wanted a refill and the peanuts were good too (I know they're designed to keep us thirsty, but it's nice to have a nibble with a drink).

And one thing that I don't normally like - the music screen. My daughter and I became quite addicted to the Magic Channel with some old videos making an appearance which I sang along to. If you mention the Goo Goo Dolls to her now, her eyes light up...

Cafe L'Algar was great this year. Friendly efficient staff who laughed and joked with us and we never had to wait long to be served. Their ice creams were brilliant and one of the best memories I have of the holiday is calling in there one night, after a short stroll along the Pine Walk, to treat the children (and me!) to an ice-cream while hubby had a cognac. Great atmosphere.

Cafe Espanyol nearly fell from grace this year as it was closed for ages after the Pollensa festival. Each day we went hoping to have a drink and it was closed and shuttered, even on market day. Hmmmmm...But it re-opened and all was well again including a young American(?) waiter who got to know us and had some good banter with hubby. Service can be slow at times, but why worry when the view makes up for it?

Obris Bar in Pollensa (cockerel fountain) seems fairly new but the service here was quick and friendly and the vodka tonics (according to my parents) were fantastic.

Cafe Caramba was great when the need to check my emails became too much. I could have spent hours browsing in there but was dragged away by my family...hmmmmm.

The bar of the Miramar hotel was also OK - we had a nice jug of Sangria here before our meal at Stay and while the service was nothing special, the view over the bay was beautiful.

Because of the Cafe Espanyol being closed we were forced to try other options and whilst waiting for my mum and dad to arrive from the airport we sat at the new Cafe Columbus in Pollensa square. We waited, and waited and waited...then waited some more. Eventually a waiter turned up but the place was quiet and there wasn't really any reason for the service to be so slow. Inside this bar looks a bit futuristic. Would be interested to hear any more comments.

Cheers!

Jane
Sponsored Links
Old 19-08-2006, 23:27

Default Re: Good Bar, Bad Bar...

Oooops!

Just realised I'd forgotten to include Bar Cultural in my GOOD list!

We spent a very happy 3 hours chatting to Timberman and his wife here on our last night and the place was very busy with both locals and holidaymakers.

Timbers - had a wonderful time! Look forward to chatting when you return!

Jane
Old 20-08-2006, 07:51
klad1

To call Juma ugly is RIDICULOUS it is a wonderful place to sit and relax and have a leisurely drink. It is quite offensive to Spanish waiters/waitresses to have customers wave and call to them, guaranteed to send you to the back of the queue, and who can blame them!
Old 20-08-2006, 18:10
tramuntana89

I am moved also to respond to the above commenst about Juma. Please all remember we are guests in this lovely place. Why is it a surprise that after the major patronal festival of the year bars are closed for a short time afterwards. Also behaviour which may be acceptable in the U.K such as raising a finger to attract attention is extremely offensive and regarded as an insult to other cultures.
Old 20-08-2006, 18:33
Debilicious

i have to agree, especially as we are aware how relaxed the attitude is over there, granted it can be frustrating at times...for anyone to wave or heckle to gain anyones attention, is rude, Im not suprised you got ignored !! :b
Old 20-08-2006, 19:10

Oh dear. Please don't let this degenerate into who's right and who's wrong. One question though - if you ARE left waiting at a table and you want to go, how do you attract the waiter's attention without offending? Or is it etiquette to go inside and pay? Not too sure what the correct procedure is?
Old 20-08-2006, 20:24
Founder

Dear all,

having let this thread continue for a while & having had some discussions via ezInbox, I am now closing it.

1) I feel that Janes post was misunderstood in that 'Ugly' referred to her experience & not the place & was a reference to the film the Good, the Bad & the Ugly;

2) As far as I am aware it is perfectly acceptable to raise your hand to catch a waiter's attention. Years ago the tradition in Spain was to 'hiss' ...

3) As mentioned previously the puropose of this forum is to provide feedback on experiences for the benefit of other visitors and NOT to attack other members for their views.

This post is now closed. If anyone wishes to amend their own comments please let me know.

Webmaster

PS have just noticed that Jane has edited her original post. For those unaware she had a bad experience at the Juma as was unable to get the attention of the waiter.