Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   In the Heat of the Night (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/862-heat-night.html)

BonysLad 10-08-2006 05:24

In the Heat of the Night

( In the Heat of the Night : 1967 Sidney Poitier/Rod Steiger )

Boy , was it hot the night we went to O Lume, not just the temperature but the humidity must have been 90%. Not really Mallorca in late July but more like the southern states of the USA. As soon as we stepped outside of the apartment Bonyladette started to gently perspire and me, profusely sweat !!!!. When we reached the restaurant there was only one table taken , by a group of locals , watched over by a fan the size of a satellite dish. The owner ( Jaime ???) ushered us to sit by a portable air conditioning unit as he recommended we sit inside for comfort.

Whe we visited at Easter I thought that this was a restaurant trying to be a really serious restaurant and we vowed, then, to return to try their a la carte, rather than menu del dia we had at that time.

We were honestly so hot that the starters had to be good cos we felt like paying for what we had ordered and rushing home to the air conditioning. We were not to be disappointed because they were excellent. BLT enjoyed monkfish ravioli and myself foie with summerfruit coulis. Absolutely wonderful , beautifully presented and with a nice touch in that you could order half portions so not to overfill the old tum. We moved on to Prawns/scallops for madame and cod a la romana for me.
Again, very tasty and washed down with excellent house wine.
Finally, having read so much here about the fried milk , we shared one for pud to complete the meal and were amazed that the compliment of the fruit with the solid milk dish was just as had been described here before. The whole meal in terms of quality per euro ( probably 60 odd euros for the two of us) would be hard to beat, in my opinion.

Definitely on our must visit list now, but we will pick a cooler night next time. Really can't understand folk queing that night to eat outside in the square at Tex Mex, Mohitos, Tiberi etc when this place was half empty.

It reminded BLT and I of a Charleston ( South Carolina) night from the heat and the food because Charleston is one of the foodie centres of the US , whose restaurants compare with the best that NYC or Frisco can offer.

Give them your support cos I don't think you will be disappointed.

BonysLad :D :D :D :D :D

Anyone know where the title "O Lume" comes from ?, is it italian or is my spanish rubbish ????

Snowy 10-08-2006 05:25

Did you go to Sticky Fingers in Charleston ??

Great report and can I second all you have said about O'Lume it was on my list last year, in fact our group voted it number one so we had our last evening there.

Looking forward to return visit very soon to enjoy the hospitaly of Jamie.

BonysLad 10-08-2006 05:37

Snowy,

Yes, it's great isn't it ( Sticky Fingers as well as O'Lume).

Enjoy your next trip there.

BonysLad :D :D :D

p.s. The lads did well last night, we were well on top of Inter Milan until we let in a soft equaliser !!!

Colynnshep 11-08-2006 02:32

We enjoyed a meal at O Lume last week, everything was beautifully cooked and we found it to be very reasonably priced. We were the only customers but then another family arrived - I thought I recognised the lady, my husband said ask, so I did. " Can I ask you......." " I know what you are going to ask" she said " Yes I am Jane!" She was surprised I'd recognised her from her picture! BUt do make the effort to go to O Lume and go in even if you are the only ones, it's going to be added to our list of favourites!

Snowy 11-08-2006 05:41

:) Well done Jane you made it :) :)

Tony 11-08-2006 16:15

This place sounds great, can someone give me directions.
I'll try it out next week.

Thanks

Snowy 11-08-2006 22:17

Tony type in O Lume in search and follow links

p221.ezboard.com/fpollens...81&stop=83

Snowy 15-08-2006 21:44

Jane you going to add here ???

JH02JLH 15-08-2006 22:48

Aha Snowy!

I'm leaving one of the best til last!

Wait and see!

Jane:D

debz1 16-08-2006 01:37

Snowy she's just teasing us..she knows we're all waiting in anticipation to hear more great reviews!

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnn!! :D

Debs

Timberman 27-08-2006 03:17

Re: O' Lume

Well everyone was right who recommended O'Lume it was every bit as a good as I'd hoped.
We did venture in a little unsure as we were the only one's there and this was at 9pm and by 10pm only 4 other tables occupied. We both had fish dishes for main course which were both excellent and I had to try the fried milk desert wow it was fantastic, totally different than I expected my wife had the fresh fruit which was superbly presented and very nice. We had an excellent bottle of Faustino Reserva 99, followed by coffee and compilmentary liquers and chocolates. Jaime was the perfect host allways in attendance when needed but not over the top.
This restaurant should be far busier than it is, perhaps it is because there is only inside seating and it puts families off from going there, but the rewards from the experience far out weigh the lack of a terrace.
When any of you are in PP next you must try this place, it is definately worth it, the total bill for all this? just 64 euros.

Oh and by the way Snowy, Jaime says he looking forward to seeing you when your out in the next couple of months and he has kept my bar bill for you to sort out when your there.:lol

Timberman

Hunter 02-09-2006 00:23

Following the prior reviews on this site we tried this restaurant for the first time when we were out recently and will definitely go back (and recommend it to friends). The food and wine were excellent, as was the service. In terms of value for money, given the standard of the food and wine, it seems difficult to beat ( it has not yet dislodged Cap de Canto as our favourite, since we have had many good meals there). Like others I cant understand why it was poorly attended (3 other tables when we were in), when other, inferior, places are v busy.

Somehow or other they need to promote themselves better , since I assume that passing trade is a non starter given where they are.

pollensa 02-09-2006 00:34

We all know that O Lume doesn't get the business it deserves. Now if they chose to advertise with us...

So next time you go, please do mention this site. Thanks.

Webmaster