Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   14 day challenge 1st week (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/840-14-day-challenge-1st-week.html)

jonnybob 28-09-2006 03:21

14 day challenge 1st week

here is my 14 day challenge(i think ive added 14 inches to my waist)Sorry the review is not up to your standards Jane.Your reviews were brilliant ,you are the Chris Stewart of PP and much nicer looking.Again sorry i cant remember names of wine or too many postres but they were all of a high standard.
Day1==TIBERI==Arrived in PP around 10.20pm.Threw cases in apartment,walked round corner and found Tiberi.The place was still very busy with a good modern decor and atmosphere.Ordered chicken covered in smoked salmon then covered in cheese and chicken with a tangy sauce for my wife.both dishes were excellent,the chicken ,salmon and cheese,an odd combo but very tasty.We had white wine then postres.We were served by a lovely waitress who i thought looked like shania twain.Could have been jet lag.!
So good food,good service.Good start
Day 2==GURU==Again modern atmosphere.Ate outside.We both had soup to start,tomato and fresh cream then steaks for main.We were told the steaks were going to be a 20 min wait,so were given 2 complimentary starters with profound apologies from the very charming staff.Steaks were juicy and succulent.Bottle of rioja,postres and coffees.Another winner
DAy3==CAP DE CANTO==Arrived early well before nine and there was only one table left inside.The manager said in spanish"it will be a half hour wait"or so i interpeted.!Waited around 15 mins and he gave us the carta de vinos,we ordered a bottle of penedes blanco and surveyed the decor,nice with a spanish charm with a scary fish painting above the bar.Finished 1st bottle when he finally takes our food order,ask for 2nd bottle of wine.Starters eventually arrive and we have mussels and wife has chicken wings.The mussels were the best ive ever tasted and my wife said chicken wings were good.Again very very long wait for main course,overheard someone complain and was told chef only cooks one dish at a time.Oops he must have said 1 1/2 half hour wait.!Main courses arrive and we have sole and duck,both dishes were fantastic,order 3rd bottle of wine.Time is now 11.45pm decide to skip postres and coffees.Well over 3 hours for 2 courses,but at the time
didnt care as we didnt skip but stagger off into the distance .
The food was simply superb,the service was very very slow.
Day4==LAROC==After the wait of the previous evening decided we wanted something a little quicker,so plumped for italian(only 4 days gone and i was getting plumper)Good location on the corner near the sea.Ordered jamon to share and a bottle of vino tinto,the wine waiter cmplemented me on my choice and decanted the wine even though other diners were served their wine from the bottleThe winewas only around 20 euros.Wife had lamb pasta and i had pescado pizza.The service and the food was 1st class and inexpensive
Day 5==NEPTUNO==It was time for tapas.Very busy and bustling with good spanish atmosphere,we were sitting next to one of the waiters gran.We had kidneys in sherry,albondigas,stuffed crab claws,patatas bravas,tortilla,pollo croquetas,pan amb mallorcan and lots of canias.Delicious and very cheap and again top
service
Day6==La Cuchara(Palma,we stayed overnight in Palma for sightseeing and shopping)Old style Mallorcan restaurant with old style staff who really looked after you.Was recommended by theTime Out guide and we were not disappointed.All other diners were spanish but
staff made a real fuss over us with our broken spanish.The food and the ribero del duero was just as good as the guide indicated.
We had black pudding with red peppers and iberican jamon to share for starters.Main courses of veal and rack of lamb cooked to perfection followed by fresh pineapple and ice cream.Unassuming exterior but quality inside
WE also had a fantastic lunch in Palma in placa de llotja
at Xims Bodeguita the setting was really stunning and the food was just as good.We had great tapas ,the best being fresh dates wrapped in jamon
Day7==TANGO=Back from Palma.This was the first time we had to queue but only for a couple of minutes.Staff very helpful and attentive.Unfortunately we had a duo singing on stage murdering Bob Marley!They were singing No woman no cry,well my wife was certainly crying before they finished.Thankfully the music was in the background.Fortunately the food was good ,tasty and plentyfull mussels to start and paella to share with a bottle of Muga,an excellent wine.
So that was our 1st week 7 days down and every meal was of a high quality and with one exception, service to match.Could the 2nd week be better .? I will also include lunches and bars in 2nd instalment.Will try to send manana.Fingers,head and memory to painful to continue!!

JH02JLH 28-09-2006 05:06

Jonnybob!

Despite your protests, I really enjoyed your reviews and found some of your comments very funny!

Especially the one about me being better looking than Chris Stewart...:rollin

Looking forward to reading more of your 14 Day Challenge!

Jane :D

Portofan 28-09-2006 15:48

Re : 14 day challenge 1st week

Hi jonnybob!

Did I enjoy that report?:D

Can't wait for the follow up!;)

Porto

debz1 28-09-2006 19:22

Great reviews johnnybob and great restaurants too..your first three are exactly the ones we went to when we first arrived. Tiberi is a great first night choice as it's always buzzing and lively ..wonderful food service and atmosphere! Know what you mean about the Shania Twain waitress..after a few drinks anyway ;)

Looking forward to the rest!

Debs

jonnybob 28-09-2006 19:55

Re;14 day challenge !st week

Sorry i have to go away on business.will post 2nd week on Sunday.Jane a hint 2nd week was better because of one restaurant.Can you guess?
Hi Debz1, Glad you regognised Shania Twain .I remarked to my wife (who was as equally jet lagged !!)"dont you think that waitress looks like that Canadian singer.
She says "who Maria Carey !!!!!!!"

Portofan 09-10-2006 17:41

Re 14 day challenge

Hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Working on it!!:D

jonnybob 09-10-2006 21:50

14 day challenge

unfortunately jonnybob is ill.This is his brotherinlaw
im checking all his emails.He will reply as soon as he is well

JH02JLH 09-10-2006 23:12

Re: 14 day challenge

Please wish him a speedy recovery - we're awaiting the second part of his Challenge...

Jane :D

sandy 10-10-2006 02:06

Poor old Johnnybob .... hope it wasn't the food ! :\

jiggy 10-10-2006 21:14

Lol@sandy. Get better soon, johnnybob.