Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 06:20

Default Tapas (again)

We're back in Pollença again at the end of the week for our sixth year in a row and thoroughly looking forward to re-visiting our favourite restaurants again; Trencadora, La Font del gall, Ca'n Costa and others. Glad to see they're still attracting good reviews on here.

We've accommodation actually in Pollença this year for the first time so looking forward to walking to all these restaurants and leaving the car behind!

Anyway - after the market on Sunday morning, where's the best place to go for tapas now in the centre? Last year our favourite Bar La Penya was shut and we were disappointed with the alternative we found (can't recall its name).

TIA

Malcolm
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2006, 06:21

You could try El Temple opposite Cantonet. They have a pretty courtyard at the back with the most amazing pomegranate tree and a small but unusual selection of tapas on the menu

This restaurant was a new find for us this year and one we will definitely return to.

Have fun!

Debs
Old 03-10-2006, 04:16

Thanks Debs - that's helpful. Is it new? I can't picture it. I'm sure we've eaten in the El Cantonet before and and all i can picture opposite it is a bank and a clothes shop... Maybe I'm in the wrong part of the street.

Malcolm
Old 04-10-2006, 01:20

Hi Malcolm

I don't think El Temple is new but the frontage is quite small so you may have missed it! It is directly opposite El Cantonet and as far as I can remember there are no banks in that street although it could well be next to one of the little boutiques or jewellery shops up that road.

It was good!

Debs
Old 22-10-2006, 07:53

Well first up I was thinking of the wrong restaurant – wrong street too! :-)

When you said Cantonet I was thinking of Bar Nou! Anyway now that we’ve been out again - and now back :-( I can report on the El Temple tapas!

After our shopping at the market on Sunday I said to my wife and the kids that we were going to try a new place for lunch recommended on the Puerto Pollença forums. Which didn’t go down well as we found that La Penya had re-opened (as Obris) and it looked good as we passed by… However I persevered and I have to say it was very worth while… We went straight through the bar to the tables in the courtyard out the back. None were set for lunch but the owner soon had these set up and we sat under a tree laden with fruit that we didn’t recognise. Without prompting the owner knocked a couple of ripe fruits from the tree and brought our boys teaspoons and left them to it. They were lovely – very sweet and sticky. I *think* they were Kakis (sp?)…

After that and a few drinks we ordered some tapas – they had two menus, one for hot and one for cold tapas and we ordered eight little dishes between the four of us. Whilst there wasn’t a huge selection all of them were nice. We probably could have done with a few more dishes as some of them were just mouthfuls and not made for sharing…

Thoroughly recommend El Temple – very cheap too. A great find, thanks Debs.

Onto the rest of the week…

We ate out every night preferring to have our own tapas at the villa by the pool every day – even on the Thursday when it rained until mid afternoon.

We arrived about 9 on Saturday night, tired and not wanting to wander too far. We ate in La Fonda which we passed by but never tried before. They had tables outside this time which I think that’s why we didn’t try it before. The food and the service were excellent we had a full three courses with drinks and wine and it was the cheapest meal all week! I’d go back…

Sunday night was a return to Trencadora – fantastic (as ever). It was always Ca’n Costa no 1 and Trencadora no 2 but after this week it’s even closer. The restaurant was very quiet with only one other table taken (with a German couple – I noticed far more Germans than English in Pollença than ever before). One area that Trencadora beat Ca’ Costa this time was on the desserts – their chocolate fondant was to die for and better than Ca’n Costas!

My youngest son keeps a diary and he usually rates the restaurants after we’ve been – 1 to 5 stars. Trencadora has 5 (but wait till tomorrow night) :-)

Monday night was back to Ca’n Costa for the first of our two visits this week. It was great to be welcomed back like long lost friends… Our favourite waiter there was telling us that he won’t be there when we return in 2007 as he’s moving to help set up and establish a new restaurant that Ca’n Costa are opening in Sa Pobla. They reckon it’s on the up and with all the new villas being built around it will be very popular in 4-5 years time… We had a wander round the centre of Sa Pobla one afternoon and it was a bit of a construction site with lots of pedestrianised areas being created at the moment. The surroundings still seem a bit industrial/agricultural to me tho’, I think I’ll be sticking with Pollença.

The Pollença Ca’n Costa was just as good as ever with every course having something different or unusual that we hadn’t experienced before. The presentation of the food beats Trencadora. My son’s diary records 10 stars (on his 1-5 scale!)

Tuesday night was back to La Font del Gall… I think we’ll probably give this a miss now on future visits. I can’t quite put my finger on what’s wrong but it just doesn’t hit the mark for us any more. The food was okay, although my youngest said the haggis in his starter was very poor. The place doesn’t have any atmosphere, the lighting’s all wrong (inside – I don’t like eating n the slope outside either) and the wait staff seem to be me to just be going through the motions. Anyway enough about FDG, I guess it’s one of these places that you either like or loathe.

On Wednesday night we tried Cellar El Moli which is not in the centre and we only tried it because it was around the corner from our villa (2 mins). Whilst it wasn’t anywhere near the presentational standards of the previous few evenings the food was good, lots of Mallorcan dishes and the staff were very friendly and very good English speakers.

Thursday we tried Cantonet for the very first time. I thoroughly enjoyed it although I think our kids struggled to find something they liked – at least our youngest did. The pasta dishes were some of the best I’ve tasted – anywhere. The wine waiter was also very helpful too.

Friday was back to Ca’n Costa for a farewell meal and we splashed out on a bottle of Enate Merlot – heaven… We struck it lucky too as they had just changed their menu over on the Thursday so we had plenty of choice with none of us having the same dish from the Monday night.

I can’t think of another restaurant that I’ve eaten at any where in the world that I could count as my favourite over Ca’n Costa…

Last day was Saturday and on the way back to the airport we went via Deià and couldn’t resist stopping at another restaurant called Ca’n Costa just to the south of there. It was a lovely setting and very nicely laid out inside but I’m afraid the food was awful. Expensive, poorly cooked and not well presented at all. Avoid!

HTH

Malcolm

PS thought the sleeping policemen installed at all the junctions in Pollença was a great idea – slowed the traffic down, especially the scooters and is it me or is there lots more spray paint graffiti around the town now than in previous years??
Old 22-10-2006, 16:50

Great post Malcolm.

We love reading all the reviews - recommendations on this site.
Only ever spent a day in PP, when we caught the bus from P.soller in April 03.
We've decided to stay in PP May 07, so I'll be posting for advice on that in another post soon, sorry to detract but enjoyed reading the post soo much just wanted to say Hi and thanks

Carl & Moira.
Old 22-10-2006, 16:53

Hi Malcolm,

What a great review!

I was especially interested in your comments on La Fonda, Cantonet and La Font del Gall as we have eaten at all three and didn't enjoy any of them.

Maybe we hit La Fonda and Cantonet on a bad night as we were there at the height of the season. We ate at La Font del Gall last year and had the same experience as you. Something was just not right even though in the past we'd eaten there and enjoyed both the food and the ambience.

But I agree with every one of your words on Trencadora and Ca'n Costa! They are in a league of their own and we loved eating there.

Thanks for such a great review,
Jane