Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-03-2006, 09:36

Phew.. Here goes!!!

DAY1: CENTRIC

A tried and tested favourite in the square in PP so we can people watch and soak up the atmosphere on our first evening.Friendly staff especially the owner Carlos who always has a smile and a warm welcome.Favourite starters are the stuffed mussels ,chiperones (fried baby squid) or a delicious creamy seafood stew (can't remember what its called!) Followed by pasta or chicken .A great no frills start to the holiday and good for kids as they can play freely in the square.

DAY 2: LOS ZARZALES

My number two favourite retaurant and have to go asap. Beautiful courtyard setting or on the walkway..or if cold a lovely interior.A charming family run restaurant and food and service par excellence!Deep fried brie with seasonal fruits to start followed by suckling pig (divine!)

DAY 3 : CANTONET

Beautiful romantic setting on the terrace of one of the churches in the old town.Fantastic ravioli with a variety of fillings as a starter or main course.

Day 4: LA VICTORIA

Drive just beyond Malpas and look over the Bay of Pollensa..food simple but it's a fantastic location for lunch as the views are spectacular.

DAY 5: LA FORTELESA

Great restaurant..indoors so a good choice if the weather's bad or too hot as air conditioned!! Typically Mallorquin and Martin and Pauline will make you feel very welcome. Shared starters of prawns ,pimientos de padrones and frito Mallorquin followed by lomo con col (pork wrapped in cabbage).. sounds odd but really delicious.

DAY 6 : MESTRAL

Have to include this fun sea front establishment!! Great pizzas and the waiters are a hoot..once you get to know them!! Sit back and people watch.

DAY 7:CAP DE CANTO

Only been once but the food and service were great...more contemporary than traditional.Only downside and we thought slightly odd was you had to eat and could not sit outside and just have a drink..they turned a couple away and the restaurant was not full as it was mid October.

DAY 8:LA TASCA

This is in Cala St Vicente and only discovered it last year when our friends took us.Fantastic fish and local produce..not at all touristy! Eccentric owner ..a really fun evening.

DAY 9: TIBERA

Young trendy restaurant just off the square. Excellent pasta..I cant wait to try it again. Cheap and cheerful when you want a 'quiet one'!

DAY 10:IRU

On the front so you can have a first class meal and people watch at the same time ..perfect! Nouveau cuisine at it's best but still keeping to tradition.You have to wait between courses as everything is prepared freshly..but then you can just sit and watch the world go by..you're on holiday..in a fantastic place..whats the rush ?!

DAY 11: BALAIXA

We go here during the day as we like to have a long lazy lunch with friends and all the children.Lovely friendly atmosphere and beautiful setting. Normally share tapas as we don't want cramp when we swim in the pool!!

DAY !2: OLIVERS

Modern restaurant with a large bar at the front for pre or post dinner drinks. They have live jazz bands playing in the Summer.International cuisine and the menu changes often. It had a fairly oriental theme last time we went.

DAY 13: SILLER

This is off the beaten track but only a 5 minute walk from the square and well worth it. The owner grows all his own vegetables on his farm and his wife is the chef. He explains in detail everything on the menu and is so proud of Catalina and the food she produces. We are never disappointed and always look forward to returning to this restaurant. What's on the menu? Well until you get there you never know as there are different 'specials' everyday ..but frito Mallorquin is a firm favourite and we find it hard to resist the most tender fillet steak which you cook on your own individual hot plate. A great evening guaranteed .

DAY 14: C'AN COSTA

Well Jane I'm with you on this one but I expect you knew I would be!! What can I say that you haven't already said? It has to be the best setting in town..the original cinema tastefully converted and oozing charm and sophistication. A varied and different menu ..scallops with asparagus and roasted tomatoes to start followed by ...ostrich?!! which was really amazing.The staff are attentive, friendly and professional and it has to be mine (and the rest of my family's)
number one choice for the ultimate eating feel good
experience.

We'll be there in 3 days time and we can't wait!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 15-03-2006, 19:28

SORRY NOT TO LIST MY 14 DAY EATING OUT POST BEFORE BUT I THOUGHT IT BEST JUST TO POP DOWN TO PP LAST WEEK TO CHECK ON A COUPLE OF MENUS. 4 SUPERB DAYS OF SUN FOLLOWING SNOW AND GALES THE PREVIOUS DAY!!

DAY 1 SATURDAY
CORAL BAR JUST BEHIND PINE WALK AND NOT TOO FAR TO WALK BACK TO APARTMENT.
ANA'S EXCELLENT TAPAS TO START FOLLOWED BY STEAK O 'POIVRE.

DAY 2 SUNDAY
CLIVIA IN THE OLD TOWN AFTER A COUPLE OF DRINKS IN A CAFE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STEPS.
STARTERS OF RAZOR FISH FOLLOWED BY SHOULDER OF LAMB JUST FALLS OFF THE BONE.EXCELLENT SERVICE ALWAYS GOOD.

DAY 3 MONDAY
EL POSITO AFTER DRINKS IN SQUARE
START WITH MALLORCIAN FRITO FOLLOWED BY HAKE IN PASTRY WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE. SERVICE ALWAYS GOOD AND SOMETIMES A LITTLE TOO ATTENTIVE BUT NOT A BAD FAULT.

DAY 4 TUESDAY
LA FORTALESA DRINKS FIRST OUTSIDE MIRIMAR LOOKING OUT TO BAY AT DUSK AND SEEING THE LIGHTHOUSE COME ON.
START WITH TOUNGE IN CAPER SAUCE FOLLOWED BY VEAL ESCALOP. ONLY FAULT I CAN FIND HERE IS ALL THE DIRTY WASHING UP GETS STACKED ON THE BAR TILL THE END OF EATING AND LOOKS AWFUL HOWEVER THE FOOD IS A1.

DAY 5 WEDNESDAY
DOWN THE BACK STREETS AGAIN TO MONTENEGRO.
START WITH LARGE PLATE OF SMALL FRIED FISH(WHITEBAIT) FOLLOWED BY THE TRADITIONAL MALLORCIAN DISH OF PORK WITH CABBAGE. EXCELLENT.

DAY 6 THURSDAY
ALONG THE PINE WALK TONIGHT AFTER GIN AND TONIC AT THE SIS PINS TO LOS PESCADORES.UPSTAIRS TABLE ON BALCONY LOOKING OUT OVER BAY.
STARTERS ARE GRILLED MUSHROOMS WITH OIL GARLIC PARSLEY AND BLACK PEPPER TOPPED WITH CHEESE AND TO FOLLOW A LARGE PLATTER OF MIXED SHELLFISH. PRAWNS,CRAB,LOBSTER,MUSSELS,RAZORFISH, AND WHATEVER ELSE IS IN THE KITCHEN WASHED DOWN WITH A COUPLE OF BOTTLES OF DRY SPANISH CAVA..... HEAVEN.

DAY 7 FRIDAY
DRINKS AT BONEYS FIRST THEN ROUND THE CORNER TO NEPTUNO TO SEE MIGUEL.MIXED TAPAS TONIGHT, SIZZILLING PRAWNS,MEAT BALLS, SMALL FRIED FISH, CHORISO SAUSAGES, DEEP FRIED CRABS CLAWS,SQUID RINGS QUAILS EGGS,LIVER WITH GARLIC ,BREAD AND A BOTTLE OR 2 OF FRANCA ROJHA MALLORCIAN TINTO.IF STILL HUNGRY AFTER THIS BACK ROUND THE CORNER TO THE PANCAKE PLACE FOR A COUPLE WITH LEMON AND SUGAR AND A GLASS OF CIDER.

DAY 8 SATURDAY
TAXI UP TO CAN PACIENCI AFTER DRINKS OUTSIDE DAINA
FIXED PRICE MENU HERE AND PROBABLY THE MIXED H'DOUVERS TO START FOLLOWED BY DUCK TRADITIONAL WITH SAGE AND ONION STUFFING. HOME MADE RASPBERRY JELLY AND CHEESE WITH PORT TO FINISH. EXCELLENT FOOD AND STAFF.THE CHANCE OF A LITTLE CABARET HERE IF DUDLEY THE OWNER IS NOT HAPPY WITH THE ATTITUDE OF SOME OF HIS GUESTS DINING ESPECIALLY IF THEY COME FROM THE COUNTRY NORTH EAST OF FRANCE !!

DAY 9 SUNDAY
BONA CEPA VERY TRADITIONAL MALLORCIAN CELLAR WITH PLENTY OF LOCALS EATING THEIR SUNDAY MEAL WITH ALL THE FAMILY.FRESH SARDINES GRILLED OR THE MUSSELS TO START FOLLOWED BY RACK OF LAMB JUST PINK AND WITH FRESH VEGETABLES AND A BOTTLE OF EL COTO TINTO.

DAY 9 MONDAY
HERE'S THE ONE TO GET YOU ALL GOING.
THE TAJ MAHAL INDIAN NEAR MONTENEGRO.OWNED BY THE BROTHER OF THE LOCAL MAN WHO RUNS MONTENEGRO AND ALWAYS BUSY WITH ....YES YOU HAVE GUESSED IT LOCAL MALLORCIAN RESIDENTS WHO LOVE THEIR INDIAN FOOD.
PAPPADAMS WITH PICKLES, ONION BAHJE AND SHEEK KEBAB TO START FOLLOWED BY CHICKEN TIKKA,PRAWN DANSACK,LAMB TIKKA MASSALA, BOMBAY POTATOES ,PILAU RICE AND A GARLIC NAAN ALL WASHED DOWN WITH SAN MIGUEL.A FIX OF INDIAN TO KEEP ONE GOING UNTIL RETURN TO UK !!

DAY 10 TUESDAY
GIN AND TONIC AT BONEYS JUST TO WATCH JOSE WITH HIS GLASS TIPING TRICK ON UNSUSPECTING "PEOPLE" AND YES IT DOES GO WRONG SOMETIMES AND IT GOES ALL OVER SOME UNSUSPECTING LADY AND HE HAS TO DRY THEM OFF.
INTO TANGO AND SOME OF THEIR EXCELLENT PATE AND TOAST TO START FOLLOWED BY THE RIBS OF SUCKLING PIG IN GARLIC WITH RED CABBAGE AND BEAUTIFUL JACKET POTATO.A BOTTLE OF MARCIA BATLE TINTO TO GO WITH IT AND THE SELECTION OF MALLORCIAN CHEESES TO FINISH. ALWAYS GOOD SERVICE AND FOOD.

DAY 12 WEDNESDAY
LOS FAROLES ON THE FRONT.LARGE PLATE OF GRILLED PRAWNS FOLLOWED BY ROAST SUCKLING PIG OR SEA BASS BAKED IN SALT WITH NICE COLD BOTTLE OF VINA SOL TO ACCOMPANY IT. TYPICIALLY MALLORCIAN.

DAY 13 THURSDAY
DRINK IN BAR JUNIORS IN ROGER DE FLOR ACCOMPANIED BY OLIVES AND CHICKEN WINGS ON THE HOUSE BEFORE A SHORT WALK TO AN OUTSIDE TABLE AT THE IVY GARDEN.
STARTERS HERE THAI FISH CAKES WITH A CHILLI SAUCE FOLLOWED BY LOCAL MALLORCIAN SAUSAGE WITH HORSERADISH FLAVOURED MASH AND VEGETABLES.ALWAYS GOOD.

DAY 14 FRIDAY AND LAST NIGHT.
GIN AND TONICS AT THE MIRIMAR LOOKING OUT TO SEA THEN TO CORB MARIE OR BEC FE AS WE USED TO KNOW IT AND SIT UNDER THE PALMS OVERLOOKING THE BEACH.NO STARTERS HERE AS YOU WILL BE SERVED WITH GRILLED MALLORCIAN SAUSAGE AND ONION/TOMATO SALAD AS AN APERETIF.
A RIB OF BEEF GRILLED ON THE CHARCOAL WHICH YOU WILL HAVE GONE AND SELECTED YOURSELF JUST ACCOMPANIED WITH A FEW CHIPS AND A SELECTION OF MUSTARDS.A BOTTLE OF RIBAS TINTO ALWAY GOES DOWN WELL WITH THIS AND IF STILL HUNGRY AND TO FINISH OFF POSSIBLYTHE SECOND BOTTLE OF RED A SELECTION OF QUESO "CHEESE" FOLLOWED BY HALF A MELON FILLED WITH PORT.SERVICE GOOD BUT THEY CAN BE VERY BUSY UP TILL 10.00 SO GO LATE LIKE THE LOCALS.

NOW OF COURSE IF THE TEX MEX IS OPEN OUTSIDE CORB MARIE A LATE NIGHT NIGHTCAP MAY BE POSSIBLE....................................

HAPPY EATING :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat
Old 15-03-2006, 21:11

Default Re:14 Day Challenge

Senor!

You are one teaser extraordinaire!:eek

Must compliment you on your report. The detail and the narrative is marvellous. In our mind's eye we can just picture the various places and see the courses being served up and just salivate at the thought.

In a little more detail, your choice of pre dinner drinks is varied and interesting from the seafront to Bar Juniors up the back. Don't recall a mention of it before. Passed often but never ventured in. And Jose at Bony's always featuring.

In your restaurant choices too some which hardly ever get a mention, like Coral, apologies to Debs, and Montenegro, where we always were fascinated by the parading of today's fresh fish on the large salver to assist your choice.

And your choices off each menu too, have upset me very badly!!:\

I just want to go now and repeat all your experiences!:b

You did not say but it has to be assumed that you broke out your favourite cigar after the meal each evening. Or tell us you did during the meal and open another can of worms!

And all so typically Mallorquin or what indeed the locals like too.

Do please go in to the Room some night. So many regulars would enjoy a chat with you not least Hiker Biker who last night was telling us of his homemade seafood stew!

And thanks again for your excellent post.
Old 16-03-2006, 00:57

Default Re: Re:14 Day Challenge

Another one to get me salivating. It's the first time I've seen mention of Los Pescadores on the Pine Walk. We discovered this little place a few years ago and the fish/seafood is divine! Chargrilled squid as big as a plate, juicy mussles, and they even do those lovely pimientos fritos to get the taste buds going. Love it!
Old 16-03-2006, 01:24

Debs and Senor Cigar,

You both had my taste buds going here and wishing I was out soon to sample the different places to eat.:\

They were both great reviews and I enjoyed reading them very much...

Jane
Old 16-03-2006, 04:12

This challenge reflects the choice of our extended family who always seem to descend on PP at the same time as us , in fact “got any spare room” seems to be the only phrase I hear in the months leading up to our stay.

There are invariably at least 3 generations, often including young adults/teens ( not ours ) on student budgets who like to eat with us but also want to pay their way.

So my list may not be of the most expensive or even the best places but certainly gives a diverse spread which could reflect the requirements of many a family

Also apologies Rob ……. I gave up trying to work out who was open when so have only used vague memory to decide

Day 1 TRIO
Now I know this isn’t everyone’s favourite but my daughter would never forgive us if we didn’t start the holiday by visiting Juan. The whole family will have Spag bol starter9 don’t ask me why it’s just a tradition ) followed by various favourites

Day 2 LOS ZARZALES
Fantastic apmosphere, great service, lovelly setting
It’s just got to be Suckling Pig and Tiramasu Island

Day 3 C’an FERRA ( aka the Little People’s )
What can I say about the enjoyable evening spent here , just watching the family interact with one another is a joy to behold …….. its almost like there is a cabaret
Veg soup for starter followed by a Fish dish …… their fish is so good

Day 4 O LUME
Fantastic “classy” service and for those on a budget, the best value set meal you will ever get
Will probably all go for the fantastic value set menu

Day 5 Lunch at the JOKER BAR on walk back to apartment after an enjoyable stroll around the market. Another of our family traditions Various choices but the guys almost certainly will go for a RAF Burger, kids will definitely have one of the 1000 calorie ice cream sundaes

Day 6 OLIVERS
Love the atmosphere , a great place for a large multigenerational family gathering , can’t remember what I have ever eaten here ( mmmm it that because I digested it with Hierbas ! ) but the food has always been good and the live Jaz makes for a great evening ……. Make sure you get a table in the garden

Day 7 El POSITO
Mixed Tapas and whatever special Tony recommends or the Baked Cod El Posito style

Day 8 TANGO
Another long time favourite …….. some will go for the good value set menu, I will go for the steak ……… get a table under the vines for the best of both worlds

Day 9 BAlAIXA
Gorgeous setting, great atmosphere Pork Wellington and the Grand Marnier Bread and Butter Pud ( Apple and Calvados crepes a close second ……. have to persuade hubby to choose these so I get to taste them as well )
……. Could possibly cheat and come back here one lunchtime then stay for the afternoon

Day 10 BAR CORAL
Long time favourite, really close to where we stay , nice friendly staff
Mixed Tumbet and Lamb shank will be the choice of most of our family

Day 11 IVY GARDEN
Goats cheese tarts, Majorcan Sausage and Horseradish Mash, Strawberries and Mascapone

Day 12 BAR LLENAIRE
Probably go early evening straight from the beach ( so we will sit outside ) , have a lovelly Paella before a long, slow stroll home

Day 13 LITTLE ITALY
Handy for where we stay , used to prefer Laroc but it has gone up market so doesdn't really fit into the cheap meal category anymore. Will perhaps try the Italian sited where La Rotunda used to be as an alternative this year
Pizza and Pasta

Day 14 LA FORTALESA
Frito Mallorcian followed by Hake or Shoulder of Lamb
Old 16-03-2006, 04:37
Sazzle

Hello Everyone,

Debz and Senor Cigar - I thought your 14 days sounded superb.

CD your 14 days really interested me. Having 2 young children means that most of the super restaurants everyone raves about our rather out of bounds for us. It was good to read a list that included plenty of 'cheap and cheerful' alternatives where I wouldn't feel as though the children were being a nuisance.

We often go to Tango, Little Italy and Jokers. Not because the food is good but simply because they are very easy and welcoming places for families. Our children love the waiter at Jokers. We often pop in for lunch when we've been on the beach. The children are treated like little stars.

Like the sound of Olivers but would have to save that for a night when we have a babysitter.

I wish I could do a 14 day challenge of my own but 10 out of the 14 nights we end up in the Caprabo and then I spend the rest of the night in the kitchen!!!!!!!!
Old 16-03-2006, 05:32

cd and Sazzle

Great choices and good to have a some more child
friendly' recommendations. I can remember going to most of the ones you mentioned ..still do!(and spending time in the kitchen!!) when our children were younger , and they were very different holidays to the ones we now spend, although just as wonderful. Most of the more ' up market restaurants ' will welcome young children as the Spanish are used to dining out late at night with their offspring..and will offer smaller portions. But I think us Brits get embarrassed and can't relax if we feel the kids are ..well being kids!

A baby sitter,if possible ,for one special night is a great idea.
Old 17-03-2006, 01:18

PORTOFAN,
REGARDING THE CIGAR I HAVE TO INFORM YOU THAT I NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS IN ANY OF THE RESTAURANTS IN PP SMOKING THE SAME.
YES I HAVE TO ADMIT SMOKING BEFORE DURING AND AFTER BUT I DO TRY TO RESPECT NON SMOKERS IF THEY ARE CLOSE BY.
THINGS HAVE CHANGED VERY LITTLE SINCE THE BAN CAME IN LAST YEAR AND IF YOU ASK IN A RESTAURANT THEY WILL SAY WHAT SMOKING BAN? OR WE HAVE PROVIDED A TABLE BY THE ENTRANCE TO THE W/C S FOR THE NON SMOKERS!!
MOST MALLORCIANS LIKE FOOD DRINK AND SMOKING .LONG MAY IT LAST.
:hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat
Old 17-03-2006, 05:10
Snowy

Debz you will have to re do the list when you get back as I am sure O'Lume will feature high on you list "If you ever get there"
Old 17-03-2006, 07:57

Snowy my bags are packed and I'm ready to go! We're off for a long weekend catching the 7.15 Easyjet tomorrow am. I was meant to be in bed by now!!! Hopefully we'll get to O Lume on one of the three nights...just got to keep Chels away from the drill

Debs
Old 17-03-2006, 18:43
klad1

Sorry to be off topic but as it was raised by Senor Cigar I'd just like to say that those of us who have had a family member die of lung cancer think differently, never mind the fact that trying to eat with smoke wafting around you is incredibly off putting.
Old 17-03-2006, 21:42
Founder

Default Re: Smoking

Re Smoking - This is a very valid comment but please raise this as a separate topic,

Webmaster
Old 18-03-2006, 05:52
klad1

Default Re: Smoking

I was responding to Senor Cigar and his comment about non smokers being put at a table by the wc!
Old 29-03-2006, 01:55
robjay

Default 14 day challange

I'm so impressed by the resonses to the 14 day challange (not to the smoking disscussion! although I know it's a wind up )
I must confess I am a relative "virgin" when it comes to eating out in PP, sticking to the few well trusted places.
But I plan to change this on my next visit to PP, I'm going to try a lot of new (to me) places and not just in PP .
I know it's a tall order but can I ask all the other well respected more experienced members of the forum to add to this challange. As I stated before it doesn't matter if you can't fill all 14 days what is more important to us "virgins"/newbies is that we can get ideas of where we can go without returning to the same place night after night.
I'll sit down and make up my wish list in the next few days, I know I could fill atleast 7 days which would include places i haven't been to but want to try.
So come on folks please add your ideas and help us "virgins" out:lol .
Take care.

Robjay