Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 12:01

Default La Llonja, September 2011

There’s something in my head that talks to me about restaurants. It tells me which are likely to be serving good food and which are not. It also tells me when a restaurant crosses the line from “That was a lot of money but it was bloody good” to “That was bloody good and it was too bloody expensive”. I’m not sure where that line is drawn but somewhere La Llonja crossed it. But make absolutely no mistake, La Llonja is serving bloody good food.

From the day’s specials, a dozen queen scallops were served on the half shell. Perfectly cooked and drizzled simply with a little balsamic vinaigrette which added to the sweetness of the seafood. A handful of dressed salad leaves added contrast of texture.

Calamares a la Romana is one of the simplest dishes in the Spanish cook’s repertoire. And one of the hardest to get right. Take spankingly fresh squid, cut them into rings, dust them in flour, briefly fry them so the flour gets a but crispy and serve them up with half a lemon. The chef at La Llonja knows exactly what’s what with calamares. These were absolutely superb.

Equally good were the main courses. A fillet of hake was perfect – still a tad on the translucent side. It was dress in a light sauce, orange yellow from saffron. Alongside a couple of boiled potatoes and a couple of spoonfuls of mixed veg – carrot, runner bean, cauliflower and mushroom. And even here, the skill in the kitchen was apparent, as each must have been cooked individually , rather than all together. You don’t get perfection otherwise.

The other dish was, again, simplicity itself. A dozen or so prawns, just cooked on the plancha. Again real care shown in not overcooking them. These were soft, delicate and tasting of nothing but themselves. You will almost never see seafood of this freshness and quality in northern Europe. We just don’t demand it of our restaurants – and we should. A good salad came as an accompaniment – a few leaves of chicory in there making a particularly welcome contribution of both bitterness and crunch.

OK, so you know you’re paying for top quality seafood. And, yes, you’re probably paying something for location. But with an aperitif each, a half bottle of wine and water, this was a meal that just topped the €100 mark and, however good I felt the food was, it still feels not quite good value for money.
Old 14-09-2011, 11:59

La Llonja do offer an excellent set menu at about 30€ a head where you still enjoy the expertise of the kitchen, a quality house wine and the same great service and location.
Great report - Harters, Are you a chef yourself by any chance? or work in the trade? I can almost hear the presenters of Masterchef using the same words to describe dishes....
Old 14-09-2011, 15:37

I am also a big fan of La Llonja, very good very civilised restaurant.
Glad you asked the question about Harters, very detailed reports so he's certainly not your 'common or garden' bed and breakfast or AI type of person. I also note he's from North Cheshire where a lot of the gentry of that County live.
So thanks for the continuing reviews and the continuing responses everyone, they're always of interest to someone; both the P.P. regulars and the P.P. newcomers.
Old 14-09-2011, 16:12

Glad to hear La Llonja is back on track as we had a disappointing meal there a couple of years ago - a very overcooked paella - but we were the only customers eating at a rather strange time of day, so this may have had something to do with it.

Previous to that we'd had some excellent meals - I agree that the MDD is excellent value but that the a la carte menu is on the expensive side. I think also that in the past we've been unlucky and eaten there at very quiet times - however beautiful the setting, the ambience is bound to suffer if most of the tables are empty. I've never really understood why this restaurant isn't as popular as the Stay - admittedly the tables aren't right at the water's edge, but the views are just as spectacular.
Old 15-09-2011, 22:17

I have to say that I am always disappointed with prawns in Majorca - so expensive and small!! Tried the King Prawn Kebab in Corb Mari this summer which consisted of 4 small prawns on a skewer - what a rip off. Its such a shame, as being an Island, you would expect so much more. However, having lived in Johannesburg for a few years, I'm probably spoilt for seafood with prawns, huge langoustines, lobster etc being shipped down overnight from Maputo in Mozambique. Superb and I'm spoilt forever - they cost next to nothing and came in high quantity, always served with garlic sauce, piri piri and lemon. Delicious!

Still prefer PP though!!

Car77
Old 15-09-2011, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD40 View Post
s, Are you a chef yourself by any chance? or work in the trade?
Nah. Just a greedy so-and-so who enjoys eating out and writing about the food. It's a hobby we both enjoy. We eat out most weeks and like to try somewhere new each time (happy to drive a hour from home, so it gives us good scope). I usually write up the UK meals and post to a couple of the foody forums, like this one - Da Piero, Irby, Wirral - eG Forums

It's just my writing style but I hope that by describing the food, readers can form a better view about if they want to eat there than if I just say somewhere is great, or lousy.

Just looking at my notes I see that, leaving aside this latest trip to Mallorca, we've eaten at 74 different places so far this year. Most of them casual, inexpensive places but, also, some incredibly good Michelin starred places. There's fun to be had in both sorts, so long as there's good food. Country of restaurant:

UK 48
Spain 14
Italy 6
France 4
Belgium 2

John
Old 15-09-2011, 23:36
Super Moderator

Sorry but i think that the prawns are huge and my grandson agrees Summer 2010 - a set on Flickr
Old 26-09-2011, 23:42

Had a great meal here last week, 28 Euros each for a 3 course meal including bread and Olives, coffee , 1/2 bottle of wine, a chocolate and a Brandy each! food and service was very good, Angie had Bream fillets and I had the steak both very well cooked. Could not fault it, no hidden charges etc.
Has a meal on the front at Corb Mari and not good at all! Very expensive and average food, VAT not added until the end!
also ate at a place next to Corb Mari right on the front , very good food and good value, really friendly staff!
tony