Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 22:29

Default El Posito (with photos)

I wanted to end the holiday on a high note so we had dinner at El Posito on our last night, which was Monday night. It was just me and my 10 year old son Jonny.

Ever since my first holiday in Puerto Pollensa in 2005 I have wanted to eat at El Posito as it has always got great reviews on here. Back in 2005 Jonny was too little and probably wouldn’t have eaten much on the menu. This was the same for my next holiday in 2006. But on our return last year I was sure he would be old enough to eat something but unfortunately they were closed on the day we had planned to eat there (Saturday). So it was fantastic to finally make it there on Monday.

I was a bit concerned that my expectations would be too high as I was expecting a great meal but I needn’t have worried as my expectations were actually exceeded. The meal was fantastic! I was also a little bit worried that Jonny wouldn’t find anything to eat that he liked as he can be a fussy eater. But again this wasn't a problem.

We started off with bread and olives. The bread was hot straight out of the oven and was some of the nicest bread I’d ever tasted. The olives were the only slightly disappointing thing of the whole night, they were a little tough and not as nice as at other places. However I washed them down with their lovely house white which was a bargain at 6 Euros for a half bottle.

Thankfully Jonny loved the starter. But as bread, and baguettes in particular, is his favourite food I knew he would at least like the starter.

For his main Jonny had cod, bacon and alioli. He likes all three individually so I figured he should like them combined and he did! It was a bit too fancily presented for him - I thought it looked amazing though - and he was put off by the sauce (he only likes two types of sauce, both based on tomato – ketchup and pasta sauce – and will refuse all types of gravy and other sauces). But he ate most of the fish. I had a bit and it tasted fantastic – the bacon was really salty and matched the fish and garlic sauce perfectly. It made me wish I'd chosen it myself!

I had the roast suckling pig and this was amazing too. The pork was really tender and fell off the bone. The crackling was some of the best I’ve ever tasted. It looked fabulous too.

As you can see I had an almost completely clean plate at the end. Jonny had eaten lots too:

Stay tuned for part 2 (I have to split the post as the maximum number of photos per post is 6)

Last edited by SimonButlerPhotography; 01-09-2011 at 23:01.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 22:46

So that is the starter and main course out of the way, on to the main event - the puds!

Next up was our puddings – and we both went for the same one – chocolate cake with ice-cream. As you can see they were beautifully presented. And they tasted as good as they looked!

Again I had a clean plate! Jonny less so, but these were big portions and he is only 10 so can’t be expected to clean his plate like me…

BTW - after this photo was taken I think I managed to almost lick the plate completely clean it was that good!

I must admit when I first went to El Posito last year I was a bit disappointed with the view from the outside. The tables and chairs outside are placed on the road in between the parked cars. Not very romantic I thought. I didn't get a chance to look inside as it was shut. But I have to say inside the restaurant it looks lovely, very stylishly decorated and I really liked the brown and orange colour scheme.

It was also air-conned inside so was lovely and cool.

A special mention needs to go to the waiting staff - they were superb. There were two who tended to us - an English waiter and a Mallorcan-looking waiter who spoke perfect English. The Mallorcan-looking one spent time explaining what all the Mallorcan meals were so we could be sure what we wanted to order (and so I could also check that my fussy dining companion would be likely to eat his food!).

The English one was really friendly and joked with Jonny plenty of times. I asked him which wines they did in half bottles because the wine list didn't say and he said that the house wines came in 1/2 bottles. So I ordered the house white as a 1/2. When it arrived he started opening a full bottle so I instantly reminded him that I only wanted a half. He told me not to worry, it would be OK. I drank approx half the bottle and they only charged me for 1/2 which was great service I thought.

So overall, and this won't come as a surprise if you've read this far, El Posito is a fabulous restaurant and I completely recommend it. The bill came to just south of €50. So it wasn't "cheap" but it certainly was exceptional value for the quality of the food, drink, service and ambiance.
Old 01-09-2011, 23:11

Thanks for the photos Simon, it really changes my opinion of the restaurant I have to say. As you mentioned, seeing tables out on the road between parked cars has not endeared me to try El Posito in all my 24 years of visiting PP! But the inside looks very inviting, and your food descriptions and photos are mouthwatering. Only one question, can I borrow cheeky chappie too as he looks good enough to eat!
Old 01-09-2011, 23:27

I think you need to give it a try

Can;t see you being disappointed
Old 02-09-2011, 00:23

I think it got taken over earlier in the year. we were invited over by the new owner in May (we met him in Rustic Cafe) who said he had revamped the place, but unfortunatly never got a chance to go. Judging from the pics, we will hopefully will get to go on the next visit or two!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26

Simon - I really enjoyed reading your post with photos - great idea And I'm with Bella on Jonny! It reminded me of when we used to go on holiday with our lad when he was his age - and what a fussy eater he was (and still is!) - and it was always such a relief to find somewhere that did his type of food. Looking forward to your next visit and photos - they are always brilliant
Old 02-09-2011, 08:26

Was concerned for a moment when I read in kevs post yhat el posito had been taken over but close inspection of one of the photos shows tony still behind the bar
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42

I could be wrong, this was back in May. It could of been the same owner, who has just re-vamped the place. Sorry to mis-lead if my info was wrong.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47

Very surprised not to see Sparky perched at the end of the bar in the photos.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:50
Super Moderator

Hi Kev, to my knowledge Toni (the owner) took over the restaurant from his parents and that was at the very least 6 years ago but probably more. The decor has been the same since i moved here but they did give it a lick of paint one weekend at the beginning May.

Big Ern, i think it was a bit early for me (still daylight outside) i usually take up my perch after 9.30pm .
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00

Great review Simon, and fantastic photos as always. You should take it up professionally you know
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53

Well that certainly raises the bar on the Trip Reports!

Not sure I can compete with that.

Duncan
Old 02-09-2011, 15:22

Simon, Great review, you've certainly upped the ante with restaurant reviews. Believe it or not they celebrate their 20th year in January. Toni took over from his parents years ago, and upgraded the decor etc. I popped in a few times recently and could not get past the starter of fresh squid and prawns and the main course of John Dory in garlic. Absolutely mouthwatering.
Old 02-09-2011, 15:36
Super Moderator

Hi Simon and Jonny, i have shown your review to the guys at El P and they are thrilled. They remember you and asked me to thank you for your kind words and look forward to seeing you again next year.
Old 02-09-2011, 15:47

Fabulous review ..... absolutely mouthwatering .....

I just have to agree with Belladonna
quote:Only one question, can I borrow cheeky chappie too as he looks good enough to eat!

You must be so proud of having such an adorable (and photogenic) son