Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-05-2007, 19:12
mark1875

Default Our thoughts on eating in PP

As promised, I took some notes when we ate out, both for the excellent and slightly boozy Menu Del Dias and our evening meals.

Most of the places we ate in have come with some recommendation on here. Here are our thoughts....

1) La Fortalesa - We headed there on our first night as both my wife and I love Mallorquin food. We were not disappointed! We started with a portion of chiperones (fried baby squids), followed by Grilled Rabbit and Lomo con Col (pork loin wrapped in cabbage), a couple of draught beers, a bottle of house red and two coffees for a very reasonable 55 Euros (around £ 39), We returned with Mallorcan friends later in the week, who were very impressed with the food, service and ambiance and again on our final night for our 'last supper'. The food, service from Martin, his English Wife Pauline and their team, atmosphere are all of the highest standard. I would score it 9 out of 10, the 1 point lost for the fact you cannot eat outside which is a pity but does not in any way spoil this excellent eatery.

2) Next day we meandered about the port (The joys of a kid free holiday, leaving the bairns at home with Nana and Granda). The 8 Euro a head menu at El Posito is much mentioned on here. Now we know why!! Filled with a mix of local workers having lunch, coupled with in the know expats and tourists, this restaurant is packed over lunchtime. Their 8 euro (£5.50) menu is excellent both in quantity and quality. Many of the recipes come from the owner Toni's Mum and you really do get a taste of the food Mallorcan workers munch down on at lunchtimes. The Menu Del Dia is three courses and includes House Wine, which was decent quality along with bread, olives and water. Again, we returned a further three times to eat lunch and again for dinner. Lunch favourites were the Frito Marinero (Mallorcan mix of vegetables and seafood), Braised Lamb, Peppers stuffed with Seafood, Rabbit & Onions and a lovely dish of Musola (Dog Fish) in sauce ( I think the English call it rock lobster?). We also returned at night to try the ala carte menu and were not disappointed. We ate Tumbet (Mallorcan Ratatouille), Frito Mallorquin (Mallorcan mix of vegetables and Liver, Kidneys and suchlike), two large and damned tasty Sirloin Steaks in a Port Wine Sauce, dessert, followed by coffee and a couple of shots of Hierbas Seco, one of Mallorca's after dinner liqueurs along with a bottle of good mallorcan red all for 60 euro (around £42) . Evening specialties include Roast Suckling Beef, Sea Bass and Tenderloin of Beef. El Posito is in a side street to the rear of PP's main church, its interior is simple but clean, service from Toni and Pepe is first class, food is top notch, again I will give it a 9 out of 10 score, with the point being dropped for the location slightly off the main drag but easy enough to find for anyone who loves good food. Shut Saturday Lunchtimes.

3) Los Zalzarles - A big favourite with PP>com users, we gave this a try on our second night. Mrs Mark1875 have been coming back and forward to PP for a good few years now, mostly with the kids in tow. On finding Los Zarzales, we immediately remembered it as the place we had been to a few times before, generally for its excellent Pam amb Oli (Mallorcan Open Sandwiches). It was very busy for a Tuesday Night in Mid May. On entering it is a very attractive and slightly 'posh looking' interior, I felt quite under dressed in a pair of dress shorts and a polo shirt. Indeed I would suggest my wife and I got a couple of 'looks' from the massed ranks of ladies who do dinner, every one of whom was from the UK. The menu is first class and my wife, who loves Lamb, chose the Menu of the Evening which included her choice of Frito Marinero and Braised Lamb, desert and wine OR water. I chose stuffed peppers and the Dog Fish in sauce. We had a couple of small beers and some nice House red all of which were very tasty. One wee disappointment was the fact I ordered a small bottle of water to wash down some medication. They included that as the selection from the 'Menu Del Noche' and charged us the full bottle of house red instead of the half bottle I had ordered. It was a couple of pounds difference and is neither here nor there but I thought it a tad naughty and told them so. Overall, great food, slightly formal surroundings inside, although I suspect eating out in the peak of summer would be nice. 7 out of 10 for me, but would go back, especially to celebrate a special occasion.

4) C'an/ Fonda Llabres - This one is not one you will see on here as it is in the centre of old town Alcudia. After a walk round the Alcudia Market and a visit to the Roman Museum, Forum and Theatre, we had worked up a healthy appetite. We headed back into the centre of Old Alcudia as the tourists headed off from the market day. In the small main square (Plaza Constitution) there are a few restaurants selling the usual tapas and slightly overpriced pre cooked pizzas and paellas. Look closer at C'an Llabres, they do a magnificent 8 euro Menu Del Dia, the catch being you have to sit inside and upstairs (Solo Arriba) with the locals. Do it, its great. A choice of Mixed Salad, Gazpacho or Macaroni Bolognese, followed by the ubiquitous Dog Fish, Sirloin Steak in Mushroom Sauce or Spanish Omelette, Pudding, a Bottle of Red and water, served by a happy go lucky Ecuadorian lady for 8 euros a head. As they say in Scotland, ye cannae beat it! 8 out of ten scored simply because you need to speak a few words of Spanish or Catalan to suss this deal out.

5) Little Italy Pizzeria - Located on the Pine Walk, near our hotel, we had been out all day and did not fancy the walk back into the Port one evening so plumped for what seemed to be the popular Little Italy. Generally my wife and I try to avoid Pizzas, British Pubs and the like for eating as we can get all that at home. This place is run by a group of guys, of various nationalities and the menu is made up of pizza, pasta and a number of fish and meat dishes. We plumped for a bruchetta and frito Marinero started followed by seafood pasta and a pizza espana (pizza with olives and Spanish spicy salami) followed by a coffee and brandy and a white coffee with a bottle of house white. The food was top notch, the pizza would feed a family of four and the total bill of 45 euros (£32) was a bargain. Eric Clapton playing on their Flat Screen, a friendly group of staff, this was a surprise find and I would recommend for taking the kids along too or for a group of friends who fancied an informal eating experience. Again, I imagine it would be lovely eating outside in the hotter summer months as it is literally beside the beach, the kids could play whilst you quaff a drink or two and battle through the humongous pizzas portions!! 8 out of 10, for a decent wee pizzeria, slightly out of the main town on the Pinewalk.

6) There is another eatery on Caller Vicente Budes (Near the Syp Eroski) that does a good Menu del Dia (8 euros weekdays, 10.50 Saturday and 14 euro on a Sunday). Bon Profit is used by locals including the local Policia, its good value and handy for the MDD the day El Posito is shut! May be more difficult for those with no Spanish, bread, water and vino all included, we had Tenderloin Steaks the day we tried it.

7) Finally the Bars - Frankly we didn't visit too many as we prefer sitting lingering over a long meal. But we did pop into Bar Bonanca which is based near our hotel behind the Illa D'or Hotel. People suggested that it was a good wee local bar with nice spanish/ mallorcan lunches. Not my experience, unless lasagne, shepherds pie and the like are now considered Spanish fare? I found the drinks to be expensive, 11 euros (£9.60) for a beer, a coffee and a G & T, La Singalas hotel bar was cheaper!! It has a pool so I suppose those who are self catering without a swimming pool could use its facilities. I think its prices are based on its locality to the expensive Illa D’or; I wouldn’t waste my time personally unless you are after a late night drink on the way home. Other honourable mentions are Simbad on the seafront. We used to go there a lot with our kids; it’s ideally set up for fussy kids. Drinks are reasonable and the lady who runs it is very friendly. Can get a bit over run with All Day Breakfast Hunters during the day, Drinks reasonably priced though. Bona Cepa cafe Bar - Good reasonable priced sundowner drinks. O'Hara's Irish - Somewhere I would normally avoid, but we sat outside on our last night listening to their live band, which was pleasant, and the drink prices were reasonable for the normally expensive plastic Irish pub experience. Bonys Bar - Set in the square we went a couple of times for an early evening drink, meeting our Mallorcan friends there. Reasonably priced for drinks, again ideal to sit and while away and hour or so whilst the kids run amok in the main square. For those who need an internet connection, Caramba Café does a mean coffee and reasonable internet rates, recently taken over by a young British Family, it’s a handy place to catch up with emails and news.

Summary - We are heading back to PP for our family holiday with the kids and grandparents in tow in August, where we tend to self cater more and only eat out every other day. We will certainly head to both El Posito and La Fortalesa more than once. Little Italy Pizzeria may get a visit due to its beach side location and excellent pizzas. Overall our opinion is that the best eating places are away from the main square and seafront - (Little Italy excepted), however we do prefer to eat local food whilst there. Those who prefer Burgers, all day breakfasts, Indian and Chinese food are catered for through out the port. However I dare you to try the local dishes, you may be very surprised!

Bon Profit!
Sponsored Links
Old 27-05-2007, 21:13
Joanne

Thanks for the interesting read. I think the prices in the Bonanca Bar are a bit on the steep side its one of the few places in PP where I wouldn't run a tab behind the bar as I don't entirely trust their addng up, but saying that it is handy for us when the kids want a break from the beach for an hour in the afternoons.
Old 27-05-2007, 21:22

Default Our thoughts on eating in PP

Well now!

That was an excellent report to read, on a wet Sunday afternoon. Certainly makes me wish I was there , and perhaps having just finished, or no, perhaps at this time of day, being in the middle of a Sunday Menu del dia!

Have to agree with just about everything said and not a fan of Bar Bonanca. not my idea of a Mallorquin lunch at all.:\

The place on Vicenc Buades would be Casa Romero possibly though never tried it. Try La Bodeguita on Roger de Flor/Llevant and La Vall onTramuntana/Vicenc Buades for an interesting Menu del dia, need your menu translator though!

And for an evening or any time drink, Bar Cultural in the square for people watching!

Again great report Mark, can see why you're looking forward to your hols later in the year!

Look forward to more contributions from you.

Thanks again

Porto
Old 27-05-2007, 22:19
pinewalkstroll

Thank you Mark for an excellent report, made a dull, wet and windy day here in sunny Bournemouth a little brighter .

We will also be there in August and you have got the taste buds working overtime in anticipation !
Old 27-05-2007, 22:56

Mark. I wonder if the one on Calle Vicenc Buades was the Bon Profit - with a little terrace area out the back? Definitely a locals place!

Due out on Thursday, and you've managed to get my taste buds tingling! Ooooh, which one shall I try first?
Old 28-05-2007, 02:46
mark1875

Sandy, Bon Profit, that is the one, I knew it had a Mallorcan name. We sat in the wee shaded garden area with the telly playing Spanish B Movies. Good stuff but the Arroz Cubana is ehhh, interesting!! Boiled Rice, a fried egg and a fried banana covered in tomato sauce (real not Ketchup!).
Old 28-05-2007, 03:53

Thanks Mark - great info.

We are fans of Little Italy (or also known as "LEEDAL EEDALEE" or at least that is how they answer the phone!) Have been visiting since they opened 5 years ago maybe? Owners are Italian and French and we were very popular during the world cup last year when hubby had an Italy
t-shirt... always a nice lunch spot - sit on the Pine Walk watching the folks on the beach - whilst having some of the best pizza in PP and a glass of Italian wine or two of course!

Lala
Old 01-06-2007, 00:10
easylife

Default our thoughts on eating out in PP

Just returned from a great 10 days in PP and endorse everything Mark says about La Fortelesa and El Posito. We also had a lovely meal at Tribeca - even early in the season some diners who hadn't booked couldn't get a table and were asked if they wanted to book for following night. Mark - if you and your wife particularly like Mallorquin food you might try Cellar La Parra, it isn't better than those already mentioned but the surroundings are somewhat amusing - the inside has the old massive wooden wine vats on show as well as a vast collection of 'antiquities' and other Mallorquin knick knacks. Not one of the numerous ingenious light fittings had all the bulbs working and there were so many clocks, set to slightly different times, it was hilarious listening to all the rings and chimes one after the other (they weren't annoyingly loud). Definately quirky, and the food was good - sopas matanzas, pork in cabbage, almond cake with almond ice cream. However the very best meal we had was not in PP so I've reveiwed it in the Out and About section
Old 01-06-2007, 01:43

Hi again

Celler La Parra was one of the PP restaurants on the website
www.mallorca-restaurants-121.com
mentioned by one of our posters a few months ago.

It is on Joan X111 and I have often wondered what it is like.

That site has a right few interesting eateries on it as I found in Palma recently, but that is another story
Old 01-06-2007, 01:54
mark1875

I actually went as far as the La Parra door one lunch time, but didnt go in as it seemed to be catering for a tour bus and had no Menu Del Dia on offer? Will try it in August and report back >D
Old 11-06-2007, 02:58
trinitycottage

some of our favorites that have been consistantly good over a five year time span for you to prehaps try in august

la longa in PP

Stay in PP

Il Gardinio in Pollensa square

and for a lunch and early dinner Tolos in PP

we use these resturants every time we come out, the first two are fish and the other two italian.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:57

Agree with you trinity that Tolos is good and although the pizzas are excellent Tolo is 100 % Mallorquin not Italian