Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 11:19

Default Guru.

Would much prefer to go to Guru infront of Tribeca where I know all the food is purchased totally fresh, top quality produce and always service with a smile. Tribeca have never been very child friendly and I too have heard a number of complaints from people who have eaten there. It makes sense that if the prices are cheap its because they are purchasing at reduced prices - for a reason!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2011, 11:56
Banned

I'm also a big fan of Guru. Very nice food, never had a bad meal there, and the service is exceptional.

Sounds even better now you say all the food is fresh (don't know how you know though?).

With the economic climate the way it is I'd imagine a lot of restaurant food is frozen or mass produced these days?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:14
Super Moderator

Hubby and i both had excellent steaks in Guru last week and the service was very very good.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:23

Have always found the food there to be good, but week before last they accepted a table booking from us, then when we turned up there was no table and they suggested we'd have to wait 20-30 minutes, not really an option with a mobility impaired member of the party.

Much prefer Tribeca, used it over many years & always been excellent. Noticed this year (early June) that Tribeca was one of the few venues regularly full.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
With the economic climate the way it is I'd imagine a lot of restaurant food is frozen or mass produced these days?
Almost certainly - particularly at the lower end of the market. Stuff to look out for will be unseasonal produce and dishes with lots of sauce (all ready to whip out of the freezer and into the microwave when an order comes in).

Nothing different about this in Spain than anywhere else. The British pub classic of bought-in frozen, pre-cooked burgers are a classic. The wholesalers have it to a fine art now - even including pre-browned "grill lines" on the burgers - straight into the microwave and "ping". Vile.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:31

I know the lovely owners of Guru well and there is nothing in their small freezer apart from Ice cream deserts and bags of ice. They have a select menu and to be honest over the years we have more or less tried everything and never been disappointed. Their daily menus at 12€ are excellent value. I would suggest that restuarants close by have huge freezers. Concepcion makes most of the lovely deserts and Ramon is responsable for the rest with the help of his two kitchen staff who are trained to do things his way. The staff are lovely and very efficient and the prices are competitive.
Nothing wrong with frozen food, but when you taste the real thing you certainly notice the difference. We all regularly drink fruit juice from cartons but then when you go to Fornalutx (near Soller) and watch the lady squeeze the oranges infront of you the difference is taste is unbelievable.
Old 08-07-2011, 13:20
Banned

Very good to know re their policy on frozen foods. I'll eat there more often now !!
Old 08-07-2011, 18:47

We will partake of nutrition there jmd on your info,cumberlands refuse freezer nosh.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2011, 17:03

Ate at Guru last night and had a really good meal.The chicken stuffed with vegetables together with mushroom sauce and garlic potatoes were,to quote a waiter from another restaurant,"Fantastico".Some of you may know to whom I refer.It was so good that I would put it in the same league as the crazy chicken offered by Nicos Restaurant.
We usually share the house red but I noticed a Merlot on the wine list so,as this is my favourite wine,we had that instead and it was perfect,and only about 12euros to boot.
The staff at Guru are superb.They are smart speedy pleasant and attentive and appear to be directed by the head waiter who remains in the restaurant and unassumingly directs them to any table that needs attention.
There were a number of children in the restaurant who all appeared to behave perfectly and I noticed that there is a permanent television on hand showing cartoons(with the sound off) so that kids can leave their table,if allowed,and sit and be entertained.A nice touch.
All in all it was a very enjoyable evening and one which will be certainly repeated in the near future.
Old 10-07-2011, 18:33
Banned

Looks like this is the new restaurant "to be seen in" then folks !!!

(And no-one's really ever mentioned it in the past !!!).
Old 10-07-2011, 18:47
Founder

In case you don't know there is more about them here Guru - restarurant in Puerto Pollensa (Port de Pollenca), Majorca (Mallorca)
Old 11-07-2011, 12:41

I am glad that most of you have nothing but praise for this restaurant and its staff. We `fell´upon it about 4/5 years ago and have since, between us, more or less tried everything on the menu but our favourites are duck in cherry or mandarin sauce, chicken with almond and pear sauce, chicken in mandarin sauce, the pizzas, salmon and prawn skewer..... and of course the sweets - mandarin sorbet is to die for and just finishes of a meal perfectly or if you have room the brownie with ice cream and the ice cream tulip. Enough, its making me hungry just thinking about all this.....! Prices are very reasonable too - menu 11.90 I think it is, excluding drinks. BON APETIT.
Old 11-07-2011, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Looks like this is the new restaurant "to be seen in" then folks !!!

(And no-one's really ever mentioned it in the past !!!).
Not sure that is true nick, some of us have been reviewing and raving over it for years since it first opened, its justs a great place with great food and friendly service. Speaking of Tribeca I heard they turn people away if you turn up late, in fact when we were there in June they closed up and went home while we were halfway through our main course, not the best way to run a business I would think.

On island time!!
Old 11-07-2011, 13:11

As long as they leave the bar open & you take a torch to see your grub you should be ok.
Old 11-07-2011, 15:37

I can't comment on the freshness of the food but we went there a couple of nights before coming home and I had Lobster Ravioli - simply because it sounded intriguing. I have to say it was gorgeous!