Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 20:00

Thumbs up O'Lume -TheFussies 2011 Review

TheFussies made a total of three visits to O’Lume this holiday. First visit (just to warn Jaime of the impending arrival of Miss Fussie) was only Mr&Mrs Fussie. We started with scallops for her warm seafood salad for me, followed by a nicely done steak for me. Mrs Fussie was highly impressed with her medallions of pork. We finished with a shared fig flavoured panacota. With a couple of half bottles of red & white wine it was a memorable evening and considering the food a well spent 70 euros.

Our second visit involved a party of six, friends we have known for many years from back home who have visited the port as long as we have. Always though they leave on the day we arrive. With their daughter and Miss Fussie taking the party to six. At friends request we were to select restaurant. Aaargh the pressure!

Turned out two of us quite fancied lamb so I selected O’Lume and pre-ordered the lamb. Jaime and his staff as usual worked their magic resulting in friends leaving a) really impressed and b) surprised they had never heard of it before. The drinks flowed and much merriment made so much so can I recall all the food but it did include 3 seafood salads, vegetable soup, grilled vegetables & spaghetti arrabiata. Mains a couple of sea breams, pork fillets a chicken disk and atwo legs of lamb. I left Jaime to select an appropriate red wine and it must have been good we downed two bottles plus an albarino. A fantastic night that went on into the wee small hours with after dinner drinks & liquors. An extra-special night so I’ll not mention the cost.

All the usual Jaime touches, even introducing us to Purpleboots.

Final visit was TheFussies Miss Fussie and FussieFriends .
Starters Langoustine salad, mixed salad, duck salad and vegetable lasagne. Mains consisted of spaghetti arrabiata, lamb chops, cod in a red pepper sauce, sea bass and chicken again all washed down with the fine Aguiuncho albarino wine. Total cost 144.05 euros.

Met Smiddy on this occasion.

For wine buffs Jaime has a good selection of half bottles both red and white, only tells me this on the last night!

There’s no doubt we will be back easily the best food and service in the port. It was good to see the courtyard busy on all our visits so word is getting around.

Last edited by TheFussies; 05-07-2011 at 20:16.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2011, 21:51

Great restaurant to have such memorable nights in. And to have seen Smiddy there too - well, that makes a change!
Old 05-07-2011, 22:04

Wink

Great to see a lot of positive reviews for this restaurant. Have never had a bad meal at O'Lume and the service is second to none.

Since Jaime moved premises it seems he has got rid of the tag for being very quiet.

Will be there middle of August and will be my first stop. Six of us this year, looks like I'll definately have to book to get the court yard.

Be in touch Jaime for the 15th

Timberman
Old 11-07-2011, 12:47

This restaurant has been on my `hit list´for 2 years now but have never managed to gather time and money at the same moment that I want to try somewhere new as I have several favourite restaurants and tend to feel guilty when I go elsewhere (or concerned that it will be a disappointment) but my next reason to celebrate (please let it be soon) and I shall head along to see Jaime. Maybe I shall wait until the summer rush goes and enjoy it in September.... thanks for the detailed report. Sounds excellent.
Old 11-07-2011, 15:52

We must have been really unlucky last year with our first visit to O'Lume. Had one of the worst meals & found the staff & service awful. Looking at what the majority have said must have just been an off night. Trying to convince the family to try again this year, though once you have had one poor experience it's hard to forget.
Old 11-07-2011, 17:48

I am of the same opinion mwc.I have not been to the new venue but presume that it is marginally busier than the previous one.My gripe was that nothing on the menu appealed(probably my fault I know)and the owner kept on filling up my wine glass when it was not required.I steadfastly refused to buy another bottle!
I agree with you that most of the comments on this forum about O'Lume are very favourable and find it hard to understand this.The common reason would appear to be that Jaime has a wonderful memory for names,and or faces and people go back there so as to have the pleasure of being recognised or even called by their name and this appears to "make" their holiday.In my opinion this must be the reason as it can't be the food or the ambience.
Old 11-07-2011, 18:45

Oh Steve how can you say that the food and service are not good after one visit, and you not even tried the new place. I challenge you to go with open mind if that is possible and have a great evening.
As for filling your wine glass up that's a sign of very good service you would expect in a high class establishment. In my mind and many others Jamie is a perfect host and as for remembering people can you tell me that other owners in the port do not know when someone been to there place before including yourself. NO

Last edited by snowy2007; 11-07-2011 at 18:47.
Old 11-07-2011, 19:59

Interesting to see a Fussie report generating some discussion. One of the advantages of the forum is that allows for a diverse range of opinions on an establishment some good, some bad even some neutral. I regularly look at other forum contributions prior to visiting Puerto Pollensa for new opportunities for dining an example this year being Bellavista. I took the opportunity to congratulate the owner on the quality, presentation and ambience of the food and setting. I'm sure I'll be remembered when I next visit. However being recognised is not the criteria that the Fussies use in selecting a restaurant it generally comes down to the food, if the experience is positive we will be back. If other forum members give consistent favourable reports when it was not our experience generally we follow-up on our next visit, just in case they've had an off night.

As for service TheFussies and FussieFriends all agree Jaime provides possibly the best most consistent service in PP. It's never been our experience to be pushed toward an extra bottle. If you do not wish your glass to be topped up a simple hand gesture is all thats required.
Old 11-07-2011, 19:59

Hi

We enjoyed our meal in Olume but found it lacked atmosphere compared to other places we ate The menu didnt excite but the food we had was very good and the service was also good once we had managed to get a drink which was a bit slow in coming I did see that other people got their aperitifs with their wine which isnt the idea !! To me it should come first so you can relax and read the menu Like Stay does

We would go again but not our first night as we didnt really relax So a table overlooking the sea would be better

We were really grateful for all the opinions on here as this was the first time we hadnt done halfboard and I really think PP has a great choice of Restaurants Need to be there at least a month to do them all justice !
Old 11-07-2011, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo66 View Post
I am of the same opinion mwc.I have not been to the new venue but presume that it is marginally busier than the previous one.My gripe was that nothing on the menu appealed(probably my fault I know)and the owner kept on filling up my wine glass when it was not required.I steadfastly refused to buy another bottle!
I agree with you that most of the comments on this forum about O'Lume are very favourable and find it hard to understand this.The common reason would appear to be that Jaime has a wonderful memory for names,and or faces and people go back there so as to have the pleasure of being recognised or even called by their name and this appears to "make" their holiday.In my opinion this must be the reason as it can't be the food or the ambience.

It's certainly much busier than the previous venue and its definately not my priority to be recognised or to have my name remembered. Top of the list is quality of food and of course service but I guess that comes second to the food.
I suppose all restaurants have nights when you can't please everybody, as I found out last year after all the rave reports about Pescador (spelling) now closed, we had the worst meal in 11 years of visiting the port and the service was right from the bottom of the barrel. Obviously we were in the minority, just life I guess. As for Jaime's service I find his quiet efficient manner including topping up the wine very good, he's always on hand when you want something without being intrusive.

I certainly wouldn't be parting with my hard earned dosh if the food was poor whether he recognised me or not.

Can't please all of the people all of the time!!!!!!!!!.
Old 11-07-2011, 22:30

I have kept very Quite over this as there have been several superb reports on olume restaurent & I did not wish for the Cumberlands to be chastised but we had a very poor meal there in Sept last year & I was hopeing it was a bad night, after all we all have them.But alas it seems we were not alone, unless we were all there on the same evening,which is not inconceivable?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47

Surely it's inexcusable to have a 'bad night'? Which is possibly why people don't return when they do have one, after all there are plenty of other restaurants in the area.

I always make a point of letting the staff know straight away when something is wrong, so that they can either rectify it or change it for the next time. After all I'm spending good money for good food and service.

Anyway, never been to Olume, so can't comment there, but it is on the list to try as I feel there have been more reports of 'good nights' than 'bad'!
Old 12-07-2011, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by popimages View Post
Surely it's inexcusable to have a 'bad night'?
I agree - good restaurants are consistent and do not have bad nights. That's what makes them good.

We had a cracking meal at O'lume on our last visit to the area in 2008 and are looking forward to another meal in September. Fingers crossed the chef can still cook seafood as well as 3 years back.

Last edited by Harters; 12-07-2011 at 13:26.
Old 12-07-2011, 16:48

I have to say that O'Lume for me is the best restaurant, I have patronised the place since Jaime started, before and after the move, the wife and I try lots of restaurants in and around Puerto both in the winter (when most are closed) and the summer months, we have never had a bad meal but a freind of ours once did (she was there at our invitation), I called Jaime and he replaced the offending meal immediately with full apologies. I am not in agreement with the comment about him trying to top up glasses to push for another bottle, this is a sign of good service and once the bottle is empty I have never seen him ask the table for more wine. No I am afraid that I cannot fault Jaime and his service try sitting in the Stay in the middle of winter on a Saturday with two other tables all at the point of shivering and then try and compare the service there Jaime's, There is no comparison. Keep smiling Jaime !!
Old 12-07-2011, 17:15

We will be booking for a table in September and ordering the suckling pig for the first time.
Jaime has the knack of making you feel like a long lost friend everytime you turn up, no matter what time you walk through the door or how busy he is.
Other restaurants do the same, but few have the same genuine warmth.