Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 16:49

Default O Lume

O Lume is one of our favourite restaurants and am glad to say we have never had a bad meal there. I love the personal attention to detail, filling up my wine glass, brushing the crumbs off the table, the hand behind the back when pouring the wine, the relaxing feeling that the table is yours for the evening, everything in fact. It's the type of restaurant where you feel like dressing up to the nines to, go to and know you will be really looked after
Sponsored Links
Old 13-07-2011, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleboots View Post
O Lume is one of our favourite restaurants and am glad to say we have never had a bad meal there. I love the personal attention to detail, filling up my wine glass, brushing the crumbs off the table, the hand behind the back when pouring the wine, the relaxing feeling that the table is yours for the evening, everything in fact. It's the type of restaurant where you feel like dressing up to the nines to, go to and know you will be really looked after
Is it me? I just [B]hate[B] restaurants where they come round brushing crumbs off the table and filling my glass when its half full! I guess its all a matter of preference
Old 13-07-2011, 20:15

I don't mind the crumb brushing before the dessert but I'm not fussed if it isnt done.

Glass filling is a ploy used in restaurants the world over in the hope that the customer will end up buying another bottle (there's big profit margins in drinks). Sometimes it will work for them, sometimes it won't. It's just a fact of life of eating out and really not a problem - you either buy another or you don't.
Old 14-07-2011, 07:17

It would appear that I have some support for my views on O'Lume.
Last year I posted a similar report and was amused to see that one member of this forum stated that they kept their wine under the table so that Jaime could not top it up.
In reply to The Fussies, Jaime always appeared to approach our table from behind me and as he was so deft at pouring the wine,I was always too late in putting my hand over my glass.
To purpleboots I say that putting ones hand behind your back when pouring is so pretentious for a small restaurant in PP as to be laughable.
I can supply the cat if anyone out ther has any pigeons!
Old 14-07-2011, 09:43

We dont like people pouring our wine either Particuarly if it is white and we only pour small amounts to keep it cool

We have asked in restaurants to pour our own After all we are the customer !

Used to the french sweeping your tables but you dont see it so much in Spain
Old 14-07-2011, 10:20

I suspect Jaime has at one time worked/been trained in a much larger more formal restaurant - hence his demeanour. This may also explain any crumb-sweeping that goes on between courses. Honestly, you could not meet a less pretentious guy! He is a lovely man, very friendly.

Personally I like having my wine poured - that's part of the reason why you pay a premium for it in a restaurant. If someone is being attentive enough to notice that my glass is no longer full, that seems like good service to me! I've never felt pressured by Jaime to buy a second bottle just because we have finished the first - don't think in fact that we drink it any more quickly just because he keeps the glasses topped up.
Old 14-07-2011, 10:41
Super Moderator

I suppose we all have our own ideas as to what constitutes good or bad service/food in restaurants and of course it is good to read on here what each of us feel. My experience of many restaurants both here and in the UK is, if i have not liked something i have had a quiet word and usually the owners have done their best to put it right. If (as has happened to me only once) the owner does not, then i don't return.
Old 14-07-2011, 12:03

Every one is entitled to there opinion good or bad its all a matter of choice, so I say if you don't like don't go, but don't knock the place for trying and succeeding in being above Burger King. I agree with Sparky (for a change) if there is something your not happy with, deal with it there and then, most times it will be put right, its to late complaining after the event.
For me I am a great fan of O'Lume and have been since it opened first in the port, Jamie put a bottle on Ice please for next years visit.
Old 14-07-2011, 12:22

I'm 100% with you Kate. And he pours sangria from a jug with just as much professionalism as he does his expensive bottles of wine!
I even called him over once to pour some more as my glass was empty - and he hadn't noticed! This was all done as a joke of course - I'm really not that pretentious!
Old 14-07-2011, 12:54

Never really been a problem to me. Fill my wine glass up if you like, if not Im quite capable of filling it myself.

I think the hand behind the back, whilst pouring wine, is more habit than being pretentious. Ive noticed Maureen do this at Fletchers despite my mickey taking!!

I dont think Jaime should be criticised for this, he obviously has his own ideas how his restaurant should be.

Next time you visit take a close look at the finishing touches to the tables, decor and courtyard area. I think his dedication and attention to detail, to his food and restaurant, is admirable.
Old 14-07-2011, 15:15

I think that Jaime trained at big hotels on the mainland before coming to Mallorca so I suppose that pouring wine with a certain panache and keeping the customers' glasses discreetly topped up was all part of his training. We have known him since he worked at the Bahia and the Stay and he has not changed at all, in spite of his rise to restaurant owner. He remains quiet, unassuming, obliging and not the least pretentious
Old 14-07-2011, 15:27
Super Moderator

I have noticed that many waiters in many restaurants keep one hand behind the back when pouring wine, can't see a problem with it myself .
Old 14-07-2011, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleboots View Post
'brushing crumbs off the table'

I like many other's have eaten in some very good restaurants & have never know someone brush crumbs off our table while dining. As already stated we had a poor experience in O'Lume last year though nobody did that. I think if they had of that would have been the straw that broke the camels back. Could just be me but I would find this quite rude.
Old 14-07-2011, 15:52

Really? But lots of restaurants do that - including Stay - and I don't think its rude really. Usually because you have eaten the bread etc and crumbs have missed the plate - or is that just me! I would rather they were cleared than they end up in my lap during dinner!
Jaime will be loving all this!
Old 14-07-2011, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
But lots of restaurants do that
Yep, they usually have those little metal knife shaped thingies. A couple of places near home have a handheld sweeper - like a palm-sized Ewbank carpet sweeper.