Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Celler la Parra (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/7639-celler-la-parra.html)

TheFussies 04-07-2011 20:47

Celler la Parra

Miss Fussie had headed for home FusieFriends were eating a deux so where could the Fussies go? After hearing from a good source in the port that Celler la Parra served the best paella we decided it was time for a special paella. Not visited this restaurant for many a year and on last visit only MrFussie opted for Majorcan food, others in party choose chicken and chips so not a good comparison.

Started with vegetable soup of the day for Mrs Fussie and gazpacho for me. Mrs Fussie not overly impressed with her soup and left a large portion – too heavy! As for the gazpacho thoroughly enjoyed it possible best of this years visit. Special paella did not disappoint either. All wshed down with sangria (not as good/strong as Maureens!) and a half bottle of Randemar total bill was 50.15 euros. Considering the paella was only 18 euros for the 2 of us the extras sure inflate the cost. However still consider it money well spent. Next time we will stick with paella and sangria!!

Alcanada 04-07-2011 22:44

Thanks for this Mr Fussie - and thanks for all your other reviews as well. I am intrigued by this place and am wondering whether to give it a go next time I'm out. I notice it didn't get a rating from you (and you are not alone) on the "top 5" thread so I'm assuming it falls a bit short compared to what else is on offer in the port?

TheFussies 05-07-2011 20:04

Alcanada,
Thanks for your comments. I think its well worth visiting. Yes I was impressed and I had to choose 5 but based on this visit maybe a Fussie top 5 next year. A much underated establishment no doubt in part due to its location well back from the front.

car77 05-07-2011 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcanada (Post 61135)
Thanks for this Mr Fussie - and thanks for all your other reviews as well. I am intrigued by this place and am wondering whether to give it a go next time I'm out. I notice it didn't get a rating from you (and you are not alone) on the "top 5" thread so I'm assuming it falls a bit short compared to what else is on offer in the port?

Alcanada,

I have to say I have mixed feelings about this restaurant. I have been in winter when it is very cosy inside and the food has been excellent. However, come winter or summer I always seem to have the same problem - They never have whatever I choose first off the menu and often don't have my second choice. Our last visit we took some friends with us and it ended up with us asking what they actually did have available that night as we had tried most of the menu to no avail!!! This annoys me slightly, as it would be better if they just slimmed the menu down and ensured it was always available. Have not been back now for a couple of years since that episode but will probably try it again some time.

Car 77

Harters 25-08-2011 20:40

Not only seemingly good food and a good experience but TripAdvisor even provides a link for online reservations. Blimey, a Spanish restaurant getting into the 21st century, innit.

Anyway, that's me dinner sorted for Saturday. And the price of an international phone call saved.

pops 26-08-2011 00:23

We had great meal there out of season earlier this year so decided to recommend and took some friends this summer. We won't again. I had raved about their lomo con col so much that 2 of us ordered it to find it is 'not the season for cabbage' so was not available. Mussels were not available and my daughters favourite of frito mallorcan not possible!! Even though these were all on the menu. After a very average second choice meal, one of my friends ordered banana and almonds for dessert, and this is exactly what she got, an unripe green banana still in its skin and a handful of almonds still in their shell. No nut cracker or anything.
Don't think we'll be going back in a hurry!
Cheers
Pops

Harters 26-08-2011 09:57

"Not available" is a problem with certain types of restaurants the world over. Whether a Harvester in the UK, or a tourist restaurant in Spain, they print up long, long, menus. And, you know that a place can't really cook all that from fresh - so you're going to get "not availables" from time to time or, if they can deliver it all the time, you know its fresh from the freezer and microwave. Give me a place with a short menu every time for preference.

pollensafan 26-08-2011 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pops (Post 63591)
We had great meal there out of season earlier this year so decided to recommend and took some friends this summer. We won't again. I had raved about their lomo con col so much that 2 of us ordered it to find it is 'not the season for cabbage' so was not available. Mussels were not available and my daughters favourite of frito mallorcan not possible!! Even though these were all on the menu. After a very average second choice meal, one of my friends ordered banana and almonds for dessert, and this is exactly what she got, an unripe green banana still in its skin and a handful of almonds still in their shell. No nut cracker or anything.
Don't think we'll be going back in a hurry!
Cheers
Pops

Hi Pops, Tell me if i'm missing something here. You saw almonds & a bannana on the dessert menu and seemed shocked when thats what turned up:confused: As regards the "not in season comment" it's a shame other places in pp don't work on that basis instead of telling people that certain items on the menu are fresh local produce when its obvious depending on the time of year that it is not the case.

debz1 26-08-2011 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensafan (Post 63606)
Hi Pops, Tell me if i'm missing something here. You saw almonds & a bannana on the dessert menu and seemed shocked when thats what turned up:confused: As regards the "not in season comment" it's a shame other places in pp don't work on that basis instead of telling people that certain items on the menu are fresh local produce when its obvious depending on the time of year that it is not the case.

A banana in it's skin and a few almonds on the side?! Yes I think you might be missing something!:confused:

pollensafan 26-08-2011 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by debz1 (Post 63608)
A banana in it's skin and a few almonds on the side?! Yes I think you might be missing something!:confused:

I was there in july and i ordered that and believe it or not i was not suprised when thats what turned up. The almonds had been roasted in their shells, which just fell away hence no need for a nutcracker.:)

cumberland8 26-08-2011 18:44

Pesky things thse nits? were they roasted as well?

pops 26-08-2011 22:20

lol@ nit cracker. Maybe I'm missing something too, but I honestly would not expect to go into a restaurant and be given an unripe green banana still in skin (unless I picked it up myself in a cafe).

I felt disappointed with choice available on the menu seeing as we had chosen a typical Mallorcan restaurant with friends who are thinking of buying an apartment near us in PP and we wanted them to experience local food. We wern't ordering anything unusual or anything you needed 24 hours to pre order, just typical Mallorcan food from a typical Mallorcan restaurant.

And as for the banana and almonds, I actually apoligised to them if we had offended them in any way by not eating the dessert seeing as it is a traditional Mallorcan dessert but my friend really did not fancy a hard bright green banana!

Cheers
Pops

lollipop 27-08-2011 07:46

We ordered this at another restaurant not in PP and got exactly what it said, a banana and almonds.

marilyn 27-08-2011 10:12

I remember getting a banana (yellow one) and a handfull almonds (out of their shells) at the Bristol Bar many years ago. I was surprised having expected some exotic dessert that I could recreate at some future dinner party. The expression on my face when it arrived gave my husband a good laugh though.

alcanadakid 27-08-2011 12:48

For what it is worth, we go there most weeks and it is one of our favourite restaurants. It also serves the best coffee around. So much so, that we now buy our coffee there.