Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Cellar La Parra (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/7582-cellar-la-parra.html)

ironmanuk 22-06-2011 09:12

Cellar La Parra

After reading the article in the Guardian by Sam and Eddie Hart I was wondering if we could get any recent reviews of this place? I have always been interested in going but given the average reviews I saw never bothered...but if these two top London restaurant owners are going ?????

original article here..

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...ls-wheels.html

Rosie34 22-06-2011 09:28

Although we've not been there very recently, we always enjoyed our meals there - particularly the veggie paella - still the best (if a bit salty!) And it always seems busy - even when other restaurants are nearly empty. (Having said that, so does Simbad - but thats another story:( )

cumberland8 22-06-2011 09:34

It is our favorite restaurent in the port (Stay 2nd) for typical Mallorcan food it is difficult to beat, the 2 brothers (waiters) are tremendous fun & always welcoming.
I must admit I`ve always wondered why it is not more popular? i guess its because of its position.
It is generally open through winter, when it gets banged out with locals.
Interesting article on the cycle tour, true what he says about the hotel on the Ronda climb book Mallorcan food before going, otherwise you end up with ponsy portions of nouvelle stuff.

Lorenzo 22-06-2011 11:43

Celler la Parra

Yes, a great restaurant IMHO.
Lots of interesting 'antiquey' decoration in the place, great food & great service from the two brothers.
I was shown the kitchen once and most of the cooking is done on original wood burning stoves so don't expect your food to come out in a hurry!
Well worth the wait though :p House wine is very good too.

PaulB 22-06-2011 12:09

Ironman,

Always intend to eat there but circumstances seem to dictate that we don't. Stayed at Duva this year (as I believe did you) and it's the first restaurant you pass walking into the port. This year we tried to book on the evening (15 of us, and it was pouring with rain so al fresco was impossible) but we were unsuccessful as they were full. Looks very nice when you peer in from outside and their website lists a good selection of Mallorcan dishes. Maybe next year.

pollensafan 22-06-2011 13:01

Always found the food very good and their red house wine from the barrel is superb.:)

Disorderly 22-06-2011 13:26

Certainly a restaurant we'll re-visit in July/August as we've not been for a couple of years.

I completely agree that the food is very good, and that it's popular with local out of season.

They probably have the best almond cake I've tasted anywhere. Worth a visit jut for that.

Duncan

barefoot 22-06-2011 13:57

IMHO they also do the best paella in the port - that's down to that wood oven again.

Gommar Goffer 22-06-2011 14:09

We had not been to this place for decades but decided to try it last year.

The worst meal apart from Simbad that we have ever had in the port:( Overcooked food and an hour to wait for main course

After all the positive posts here I can only assume it was a bad night for them - might try again perhaps

Harters 22-06-2011 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot (Post 60662)
IMHO they also do the best paella in the port - that's down to that wood oven again.

Surely paella is cooked stove-top, not in an oven.

Alcanada 22-06-2011 22:37

In all the years I've been visiting the port I haven't been to this place and really don't know what to think about it. It seems to get praised to high heaven by some and receives serious abuse from others!

For what its worth the feedback on Tripadvisor is also fairly well spread - although the positive reports do outweigh the negatives. One of the negative reports on Tripadvisor suggests that one of the waiters was very grumpy (and the other waiter wasn't) and one of them had a body odour problem. I still haven't got a clue whether it might be worth the effort to go here or not.

Tonsyl 23-06-2011 07:35

Interesting comments from various folk and I can only add that we have been eating here for many years and we have never had a bad meal. I have to declare an interest in that we are friends of the whole family but my honest opinion is that it is the best "local" restaurant in the Port. We especially like the banter with the locals who have the "top table" by the TV and can be heard rattling away in Mallorquine and putting the world to rights most evenings. Yes, there are delays sometimes when they are busy but then that's part of local life. in the end you get an honestly served and prepared meal at a reasonable price.

Lorenzo 23-06-2011 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harters (Post 60666)
Surely paella is cooked stove-top, not in an oven.

Yes that's true Harters but wood burning stoves have a much more subtle heat on the range area - so the paella simmers away nicely, with no rush - hence the better results usually.

ironmanuk 23-06-2011 16:04

I think I'm going to give it try in August ...thanks for all the post's

Hoggers 24-06-2011 11:59

Hi

We ate there last year and will again this year as recommended by Jordi from the Coral. We pre ordered Suckling pig which was superb, very friendly lovely atmosphere enjoy !!