Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 16:02

Default another Whitsun trip report

Just back from our 9th trip to the Port.
A different villa this year, Rospola, very traditional, lovely garden & pool, & underfloor heating, which we really appreciated last week!
Arrived Sunday, huge queue for Goldcar, gets worse each year. Whilst their headline price is much cheaper than most, factor in €110 for a tank of diesel (no, they wouldn’t agree full/empty on a 6 day hire) & long delays, & it makes us wonder for next time. Still, we got a brand new Peugeot Partner, which was good fun.

Quick whizz up the motorway, dropped the bags off, then Pollensa market, not quite as thronged as usual, but a nice buzz to start us off.

Sunday night, Tango. 3 menu del dia, €16.80 + tax, 1 omelette & chips, can’t remember total bill, but great value as ever, youngest almost full after spag bol starter, but still made a pretty good impression on roast chicken. Lovely service & welcome in this favourite.

Monday, Little Italy, everyone looking forward to this after only discovering it last year via this forum, & it was as good as we remembered. 3 pizzas, 1 pasta, we were tempted into puds as well, about €100 with bottle of chianti, a large beer, water, & 4 soft drinks. It was damp that evening, so no terrace tables, we had a short wait to be seated, best to book.

Tuesday, the heavens opened. We went to Decathlon/Alcampo at Port D’Inca for bits & pieces, & to use some of our expensive diesel (any locals want to set up a siphon arrangement?). The motorway was awash, visibility down to <100 yards, & many drivers pulled over to the side. Water cascading off the mall roof, huge rivers running across the car park, apparently it was chaos in Palma.
The weather had cheered up a bit, so we went to Yolanda’s next to the beach at Playa Muro for a late lasagne lunch, a family tradition going back 11 years, & raised a glass to my late father, ventured into the sea where we used to stand & set the world to rights. Happy times, Dad.
3 lasagne, tuna salad, pizza, large beer, large tinto, 2 soft drinks, €34, good, freshly cooked food, generous portions, best value around.

So full we didn’t eat that night, other than to scoff cheese & grapes with a tinto or 2.

Wednesday, best meal of the week (?!), home made chicken chorizo arrabiata pasta around the big traditional table, washed down with Siglo.

Thursday, ordered take away pizzas from Little Italy, good to see it full when we collected at 7:15.

Popped round to see John Lynam play at The Hideaway. Fantastic versions of eclectic material for guitar & bass. Chatted muso / Brum stuff with John & bass player, sorry, forgot your name, friendly welcome, shame not more people there, he plays Tuesdays & Thursdays, well worth the detour to Gotmar.

Friday, Neptuno. They are really trying hard, fast attentive service, friendly staff. Well priced wine list. Tapas come in 3 sizes – small for consumption at bar only. We mixed sizes, 10 between 4, with Rioja Reserva, large beer, 2 water & soft drink, €79, great value, good food ( only slight reservation was size of large albondigas portion, lots of sauce, not many meatballs, unless youngest pinched some when I wasn’t looking). The place has been well renovated, but still keeps its old charm, we hope it does well, the dessert menu should be up & running anytime.

All in all, an enjoyable week, although the edge taken off by the variable weather. We became adept ‘shadow watchers’ - as soon as we saw one, we raced outside to make the most of the available sun.

The Port is showing many signs of new life, lots of places opening, more of a buzz about it than in the last couple of years, we thought. Fun watching the guys put the sunshades up – tossing the straw tops onto the frame like pizza dough – I expect they got the hang of it after the first couple of dozen.

It’s funny, time seems to slow down when we’re there, but sitting back at home, it seems only minutes ago that we were setting off, & now we have to wait for another year for our next PP fix…..

Last edited by smg; 05-06-2011 at 22:41. Reason: why couldn't I spell lasagne? I eat enough of it...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 18:59

smg, I agree about the buzz and the new places opening not only in the port but this morning I found two new outlets in the Old town. One to the left hand side of the church selling crepes,ice cream juices etc,the other if you turn left at the newsagent above La Font De Gall is a takeaway food shop,had a lovely Paella on offer this morning at €5 per portion packed in takeaway box also had quiche and some nice looking cake. Unfortunately was due to go out for lunch so couldn't try it.
Old 05-06-2011, 21:46

Very good trip report smg, thankyou.
Made me shed a tear at the thought of you raising your glasses to your late father. The place holds lots of special memories for my family too.
Looking forward to our trip at the end of the month and will certainly be trying out the new Neptuno.
Old 05-06-2011, 22:45

Great trip report...totally agree with you regarding goldcar,we paid 100 euros last month for the diesal,total rip-off,like you say siphon it off! I'd rather give it away then take it back 3 quarters full.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22

110 euros for a tank of fuel Have they started renting out Formula 1 race cars?

I've all but given up renting cars now, mainly due to fuel costs, which quite often exceed the cost of our flights. Resort Hopper cost next to nothing and if you want to go trips the bus services cover just about everywhere.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:25

Have to agree now unfortunately. (Smiddy pse check your PMs re formula 1!)
Hubby was shocked to see the price of car hire this year. Luckily we had booked early and got it at last years rate, but will give serious thought to next years travel arrangements.
Still wondering about costs of daily hire though. Any thoughts?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:27
Super Moderator

Smg, thank you for a great trip report. I am so glad you had a good time even though the weather was not kind to you and also it's nice that you experienced that "buzz" first hand .
It's great to read positive feed back .
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33

What super report, I would like to think my kids will take their offspring to places I have shown them when I croak , one of their sayings might be `the old git used to do ear splitting belly flops off that rock.
Old 27-04-2012, 21:47

re-reading this thread with tears in eyes, but having booked for June this week, just can't wait to get back to PP, esp with hedged euros @ 1.978 from Sainsburys today

kids have week mapped out already, we're looking forwards to the tapas trail....
Old 27-04-2012, 22:45
Banned

Excellent rate at Sainsbury's and thanks for the info. but please explain, what are "hedged" euro's ??

Last edited by Nick; 28-04-2012 at 04:29.
Old 28-04-2012, 01:27

just my terminology for buying a proportion of spending money today @ good rate in case it gets worse before we go, although general perception seems to be that exchange rate will get better in short term...I'd be interested to know what current rates in PP are
Old 28-04-2012, 04:29
Banned

Thanks for that....
Old 28-04-2012, 07:59

Do you mean 1.198? 1.98 would be a very good rate :-o

On island time!!
Old 28-04-2012, 08:04

Great report - reminded me of our one and only trip in April - always been July/August, last year to celebrate our anniversary. There were no loungers on the beach but the guys were erecting the shades. We found that the little bar under La Llonja was a great sun trap out of the wind in the late afternoon, however it was obvious that this was a popular place at this time of day and were not always able to get a table!
The post also made me wonder where my kids might raise a glass in my memory once I've popped my cloggs. There is a place on the beach just outside Little Italy where my kids always knew they could find us and I still head for "my" place when we are there. Think I'll leave instructions in my will that they should carry on the family tradition!
Old 28-04-2012, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Do you mean 1.198? 1.98 would be a very good rate :-o
Thats what I thought, SWS. If its 1.98, they must be expecting the euro to sink without trace! Actually, not so unlikely, is it.