Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-05-2011, 23:46

Default May Trip Report

Trip report from the first week in May.
Staying at Duva with the lads on a 'cycling' trip ...

Day 1 - Decided to treat ourselves and booked a table at Stay on the terrace,superb as usual,I had my usual of Mallorcan octopus followed by Mixed grilled fish which I've had since 1997 when I got engaged here!,everyone had the same on my recommendation,2 bottles of Albarihno,great food,service and setting.

Day 2- Needed some carbs after a long bike so went to Tolos ,we shared some calamares and goat cheese salads then I had seafood pasta which was good but the portions seemed smaller than usual ,not sure if this was due to 3 of us ordering the same dish?

Day 3-Decided to go to El Posito ,I didn't go last year for some reason and wanted to try it again as I remembered it was good from the previous year , Toni was a great host, started with 4 large beers ,garlic prawns,baby squids,frit and calamares, all superb but the garlic prawns and squids were the stars ,we needed extra bread to mop up!
Ordred a bottle of Emilio Moro ribera del duero and main courses of Lamb,John Dory,Duck and I had cod with sobrasada which wasn't on the menu but Toni said he would do for me.Food and wine were fantastic,before we left I asked Toni about a dish on the specials board which was suckling pig with fish,he said it was a speciality which had to be ordered ,after such a good meal we ordered for the following night.

Day 4-Back to El Posito, 4 large beers then we ordered some starters ,Toni said we should be careful as the main course was very filling ,we ignored his advice as we were ravenous after a long bike,had the same as last night ,ordered another bottle of the red and waited for the main event.
The fish is served first,it is called mero which I think Toni said was stone fish? anyway it was a really meaty fish not just in texture but had taken on the flavour of the pig which was good,a very large portion but not quite full yet!.The pig is then served ,this was unbelievable ,crispy,moist and cooked to perfection ,everything went then Toni said there was some more left which we polished off ,feeling comfortably full by now.This was the best meal we ate this week and I urge you all to try it,Toni said it needs to be for 3 to 5 people really,another highlight of the night was meeting Sparky! we had a good chat and I thanked her for all the work she does for the site.

Day 5- Took a trip into Pollensa and went to La Fonda,the menu looked good ,very traditional and seemed to be busy with spanish families,we ordered some mixed tapas of Jamon, cheese,squids and frit and shared main courses of Arroz Brut and seafood Paella,all was very good but the Arroz and Paella were special and worth going back for,had a bottle of Pesquera which was nice but not as good as the Emilio Moro.Service was good ,a very nice lady and a more serious man waiting on,will return.

Day 6- After hearing good reports about Los Faroles we decided to go on our last night ,ordered garlic prawns and calamares followed by seafood paella.I came here last in 1997 after someone told me it was the best place for Paella,I didn't really rate it then but decided to give it another go , the service was good but inmy opinion the Garlic prawns weren't a patch on El Posito and the Paella was not as good as La Fonda,I know Paella is a personal thing but that was my thoughts.

All in all a great weeks eating with the highlight being El Posito ,will be visiting a few times when I'm back with the Family in August.
we did do some cycling (500 miles) which just about covered the calories consumed.

Sorry if the spellings bad it's getting late.......
Sponsored Links
Old 26-05-2011, 00:15
Super Moderator

Ironmanuk, great review and as i have said before, don't worry about spelling and punctuation this is a forum not the OU.
Thanks for talking to me in El Posito that night, it was lovely to meet you and i hope to see you with the family in August.
Old 26-05-2011, 06:46

Nice to have such a clear & concise report from a fellow cyclist it really does help.
Thank You.
Old 26-05-2011, 09:08

Great report ironmanuk, again very detailed, the restaurant reports on this forum have been brilliant this year so far

On island time!!
Old 26-05-2011, 09:30

I was really pleased to read about the fish and suckling pig dish ironman!
We first had this many years ago in Ca Vostra (the original), and have not seen it around since. Never visited El Posito - to my shame - but this is going to draw me in for a taste from the past.
Thanks for a great report.
Old 26-05-2011, 09:41

That was a great report

Given us some restaurants to try !!

The fish and suckling pig we saw over 20 years ago when we were staying a the Illia Dor for New year I cant remember the restaurant we saw it in but it was in a back street and there was big table of a Spanish family probably 20 and all these big metal trays were coming out and put down the middle of the table and I had never seen anything like it and havent since !! Only 2 of us so wont be able to try it unless we meet someone who would like to share !
Old 26-05-2011, 10:18

Really enjoyed reading the report ..... and so envious of your cycling holiday, it must be fantastic to be fit enough to cycle in Mallorca, I am always amazed at the cyclists who just seem to glide up the mountain roads.
I can mange 15 miles on the local trail at Padstow.....dead flat.... yet I always come home weary
Old 26-05-2011, 10:28

Fantastic review, Ironman - you reminded me that we must go back to El Posito next time we are over! We have certainly had some of our best meals in PP there. Cod with sobrasada is one of my all-time favourite dishes!

We liked La Fonda very much too - will certainly try the paella and arroz brut in October. It's good that lots of Spanish families are going there as under the previous owners it always seemed very much aimed at tourists - particularly Germans - which meant that out of season it always looked very empty and a bit unwelcoming. The new owner is a lovely lady, very friendly and I wish her and her husband all the best.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
I was really pleased to read about the fish and suckling pig dish ironman!
We first had this many years ago in Ca Vostra (the original), and have not seen it around since. Never visited El Posito - to my shame - but this is going to draw me in for a taste from the past.
Thanks for a great report.
Belladonna, You've surprised me there! Must put it on your list for your next visit.