Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 17:24

Default The Codfather

Despite having said once that I don't go abroad to eat British food, we felt we had to try The Codfather this time around.

And we weren't disappointed!

We went one lunchtime and chose the traditional fish 'n' chips - cod for hubby and haddock for me! The restaurant was quiet but we had a great chat with the family on the next table who had children similar in ages to ours.

Hubby is a big fan of fish cooked properly with a light crispy batter and he found it here. The portions weren't huge (thank goodness) but they were perfect for lunch.

The owners of The Codfather seem to know what they are doing and the service was prompt and friendly. I wouldn't want to eat here all the time, but as a break from some of the heavy meat dishes we were eating it was a welcome change.

And if you are an ex-pat, it can sometimes be a great reminder of home!

Jane
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2005, 05:20

Default The hair of the dog ( or sheep ???)

Welcome home Jane,

You've been very busy posting these reviews.

What's this though ( 9.45 p.m. and sixty odd readings ) in praise of the Codfather from a stalwart forum member and nobody has put their head above the parapet yet !!!!

Well I've had lunch there probably four or five times in the last few years but my review is one of neutrality and a tale of science.

Ever had a real hangover ?

Ever carried out a close up, eye level quality inspection of the standard of enamel coating in the wc?, ever had your brain neuro transmitters close down completely confirming that you left your brain in the last bottle from the night before and it's replaced with a sledgehammer clanging away at your cranium cavity. Ever felt like promising you'd do anything ( take the wife to a craft fair or kiss your bearded elderly aunt on the lips ) if only the feeling would stop and NOW.

Well I have , and I expect many of you have to.

So what's the answer ?, scientifically you need to increase Cysteine levels in your liver to speed up the metabolism of the alcoholic congeners you so foolishly consumed last night and are now poisoning your body.
Cysteine is a naturally occuring hydrophobic amino acid within your protein make up.Cysteine is mainly obtained from hair follicles and from sheep's wool but unfortunately sheep don't synthesise this naturally and need to graze. However there is a scientific view that doses of protein and fat create the same effect. ( end of science lecture , ED )

So what did I do to get out of this hell ?

a) Find some sheep in Puerto Pollensa and start kissing them or

b) Consume a large plate of Cod and Chips with bread and marge washed down with mugs of tea at the Codfather.

You guessed it, the latter.

It certainly works but I must say I found the food pretty tasteless, not sure if my brain was really connected to my tastebuds ( not really sure if my brain was connected to anything at the time ) so the jury is out as far as I'm concerned on this place.

However , in the spirit of science, I say

Let the Codfather make your liver an offer it can't refuse

Dr BonysLad :x :x :x ( not displeasure but me with hangover !!!!)
Old 07-09-2005, 05:32

Default Re: The hair of the dog ( or sheep ???)

Bonyslad! What a brilliant post!!:eek

I only wish I could use this excuse for lunch at the Codfather but I can't!

But I have experienced a hangover like you described so now I know what to do!

You sound very learned Bonyslad! I am impressed!

Regards
Jane
Old 07-09-2005, 06:21
Lady Pollenca

Default The hair of the dog

Wow Bonyslad, thats a rather scientific baffler:eek :eek
But a boys got to do what a boys got to do to get rid of the alcoholic poisoning. With regard to the food I was rather surprised to find the fish at the Codfather is bought in frozen and disappointed to find it wasn't all fresh!
Old 07-09-2005, 15:33

Default Re: The hair of the dog

Oh Lady Pollenca, you are joking!

Frozen fish! That is disappointing and I wasn't aware of that, although not knowing much about cod and haddock I suppose they aren't caught locally?

The chips were good though and authentic British ones!

Jane
Old 07-09-2005, 16:37
Lady Pollenca

Default Re: The hair of the dog

Hi Jane, I just assumed it was until a friend who helped out there mentioned it. The fish and chips get rave reviews and it has a great reputation I must give it a whirl the next time I'm in PP
Old 07-09-2005, 23:08

Default Frozen Cod

Jane/Lady P

Thanks for the compliments and to baffle you now with my zoological skills, North Atlantic Cod ( Gadus Morhua) is not indigeneous anywhere south of the Bay of Biscay. Not sure about haddock ( Melanogrammus aeglefinus) but I think the same because they are of the same Family and Genus.

However cod ( North Atlantic) is only allowed to be fished under licence and these are solely held by north european states ( UK, Denmark, Iceland , the Netherlands, Germany and Norway). So wherever we see cod in PP it must be frozen. So all those baked cods we've enjoyed covered with delicious toppings/ sauces out there over the years are presumably from frozen fish,unless it's a different genus.

I think we should be told, folks, don't you?

When I'm next out ( early Oct) I'm going to go round to the fish wholesalers at the back of town to make some enquiries. Will post the result when I find out unless anyone else knows?

No big deal cos I expect any of us who live more than 30 miles from the coast are eating the frozen stuff. Not sure it's excuse enough though to move to Skegness !!!
(with apologies to those from Lincolnshire )

BonysLad
Old 08-09-2005, 03:00

Default Re: Frozen Cod

Thank you once again, Bonyslad, for such an interesting post.

Hubby and I were having the same sort of debate on holiday when I was enjoying my mussels. He maintained they came from far flung parts as well and he said that the shellfish available on the menu would probably come from Scotland.

He remembers when we were on Skye once, one of the staff telling us about how most of the workers there still kept up the tradition of fishing the lochs and exporting the shellfish to Spain.

It makes me wonder how many of the Mallorquin dishes are really "authentic"!

Jane
Old 08-09-2005, 03:37
Lady Pollenca

Default Cod

Hi Bonyslad, I have no zoological skills whatsoever so I'm most impressed! I assumed all was fresh but I suppose this was rather naive in hindsight bearing in mind transportation, climate, availability from Majorca etc. I'll be interested to read your findings in October:eek
Old 14-09-2005, 20:49
TELBOY

Well sorry do disapoint you all,as an insider I can asure you all that the cod the codfather use is north atlantic frozen cod bought from a british wholesaler on the island,but after saying that it is very good quality,same as the haddock
Old 15-09-2005, 17:59
robjay

Well Jane I've read your review. It reminded me of bungee jumping..................................it's not for me:lol . the staff were friendly when I asked for directions. And 1 member of staff looked like someone I know:lol .

Rob
Old 16-09-2005, 17:24
smiddy

Default Cod

The cod from El Posito is deliciuos, frozen or not! Having worked in the import business there are many strange anomolies, due to ECC quotas a lot of was shipped from Nothern Canada(frozen) to Aberdeen!!!!! A lot of the shellfish caught in the west coast of Scotand was shipped to France, as they paid a higher price. Shellfish was then airfreighted from the Far East to satisfy us!!!!

Sausage skins were even imorted from Australia then sent to France as they refused to eat our sausages due to mad cow disease.:eek
Old 17-09-2005, 00:41
robjay

Default Re: Cod

So where do the mushy peas come from? And are you trying to convince me that Fish 'n' Chips is really exotic fare?
Like the Burger stall " To each their own":lol
Rob
Old 29-09-2005, 01:41

We went to The Cod Father one winter afternoon, and the food tasted like Fish and Chips used to (blimey I sound old). Every time I walk past, the old taste buds start to twitch, and I'm certainly going to have to give in soon. Plus there is a very handsome guy working there at times
Old 29-09-2005, 22:26
robjay

Heard he's big on black puddings and mushy peas :lol
Rob