Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Los Zarzales (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/728-los-zarzales.html)

Tyldesley Tyke 09-06-2007 17:29

Los Zarzales

Just returned from this years first visit! On recomendation of many on this sight we tried the suckling pig @ Los Zarzales---very small portion and skin like leather!!! Also Macia Batle @ 22 euros!!!!come on. Other places only 11-14! Rip off!! Sorry to you fans. Shan't go again!

debz1 09-06-2007 18:49

I'm Los Z's biggest fan but when we went last month I have to agree the normally succulent suckling pig was not up to its usual standard..very fatty and the crackling not crisp at all.

Will be going again in a weeks time and will see if things have improved, as normally this restaurant is of the highest standard, both with food and service. The only possible reason I can think that standards have slipped is that one of the owners Yolanda is probably not there at the moment, as she was very pregnant and due to give birth imminently. I know this is not an excuse but maybe the reason.

Did you complain about your food? If Yolanda had been there she would have done everything in her power to put it right. Also I've never been aware of the wine being pricier than other places , pehaps you were drinking a Macia Batle reserva or gran reserva?

Debs

sandy 13-06-2007 01:11

We also had a meal at Los Z. It was pleasant enough, but I'm afraid I didn't really feel i got value for money. The service was incredibly slow, the waiter kept coming back to check what we had ordered and all of our meals were over cooked. I think I'll be giving it a miss for a while to come.

easylife 13-06-2007 03:34

los zarzales

Sorry to say I agree with recent posters - we ate there two weeks ago and we were very disappointed. My husband had suckling pig which was dry and a very small portion and I was so unimpressed with mine that I truly cannot remember what I had. Couldn't complain about the service on the night we went but overall not value for money - my husband says it was the worse meal we had during our whole stay, in fact I can't print what he actually said

Pauln90 17-06-2007 17:30

Re: los zarzales

What is this preoccupation with suckling pig after all in most places all you are getting is a piece of pork.

I have to say I visited Los Zarzoles last wednesday and the food and service was excellent but then I prefer to try the fish dishes as did most of my party and we all agreed it was superb.

debz1 25-06-2007 17:13

We were there last Friday night and all seems back to the usual high standard.

I didn't have the suckling pig! Pauln90 I'm not sure having suckling pig once or twice a year constitutes being a preoccupation !!!

We drank our apperitives and nibbled on some complimentary chicken croquetas while we waited for our food.Things always take a little longer in Los Z as all the food is cooked freshly and not re-heated as in some of the other restaurants.

FOR STARTERS the four of us had:

Mussels

Frito mallorquin

Chiperones (small fried baby squid)

Baked brie with seasonal fruits.

All the starters were huge and could easily have passed as a main meal. All very good.. my only critism was the chiperones were a bit too salty for my taste.

FOR MAINS:

Paella (for 2 sharing)
Hubby and our friend raved about this and said it was excellent.

Duck..thinly sliced and beautifully cooked, crispy on the outside and pink inside.Served with a nice selection of vegetables and an odd looking sauce which I think was chocolate based. Sounds very odd but worked with the duck somehow!

Turbet..my friend had never tried this fish before but said it was delicious.

This was washed down with two bottles of Macia Batle. I double checked the price as I think someone had previously said they were charged 22 Euros a bottle. It definitely said 14 Euros on the wine list.

No one had a dessert as we were all very full up! Coffees and Baileys and hierbas on the house..no guesses who had the hierbas ;)

Debs

Ps For anyone who knows Yolanda..half way through our meal she appeared at our table with her beautiful baby boy born a month ago. She is back working ,as much as she can , and juggling her life between the baby and the restaurant :D

Marsha 26-06-2007 15:49

Does the lovely Scottish/Mallorquin girl still work there?

debz1 26-06-2007 20:09

She was there in April Marsha..I agree she is a lovely girl.

Didn't see her last week 'tho.

mark1875 27-06-2007 18:38

The Scottish/ Mallorcan girl was there in late May too, a real surprise as you put on your best Mallorspanglish and get a reply in broad Scots!:rollin

its cd 30-06-2007 15:37

oh Debz ...... thanks for the post, I was so so worried that one of my fave places was struggling ........ though I could never quite believe it

We will be there in a couple of weeks and enjoying every mouthful ......... one of our group had the "duck in Chocolate sauce " ( as it has now become known in our family) last year and raved about it so much , we just HAD to go back !

Oh and thanks for taking the time to fly over to check ..... clearly just for the benefit of forum members :rollin :rollin

debz1 30-06-2007 18:16

Lol @ cd !

In fact going again next week just to double check all still ok :rollin

smiddy 09-07-2007 06:16

Los Zarzales

we went last week for a special meal and was very disapointed
most expensive of our 2 week stay and by far the poorest quality

smiddy 09-07-2007 21:25

Los Zazarales

Both my wife and i post under the same name, hence a duplicate post. Just got back Sat night and the food was a delight except Los Z.

Our starters were ok, but the main course was very poor, my wife remarked that her chicken course tasted more like something out of Birds Eye cardboard box AND it was obviously re-heated, i had the fish, it was ok but by the size of it it looked more like it had been supplied by the local pet shop, at least there was 2! We ordered a sorbet for sweet, and when it arrived it had turned into liquid?? Makes me wonder how long it had been left lying in the heat? It was sent back.

At 40 euros a head you expect better. We won't be returning.

Cocoa07 12-08-2007 01:35

Re: Los Zazarales

I don't understand why this place takes so long to cook food. I know that everything is freshly cooked but it took an hour from ordering for us to receive a one course meal.
Quality was good when it arrived but you either end up drunk or lose the will to live whilst waiting!

Lala70w 12-08-2007 17:11

Re: Los Zazarales

LOL :rollin Usually drunk in our case! We found that this happened in a few of our fav restaurants this year which meant ordering that (never a good idea) second bottle of wine!! Not sure if it means restaurants like LZ are not coping with the volume of diners or if it's just the epitome of laid back dining. Ordering a starter/ bread can improve your patience (and sobriety) we found!
Lala :lol