Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Makassars (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/725-makassars.html)

Sazzle 12-08-2006 06:49

Makassars

Just got back from a fantastic 13 nights in PP.

Went to the opening night of a new BBQ Lounge on the square (opposite Bonys) called Makassars. Few teething problems but we really enjoyed it and went back there for our last night.

JH02JLH 14-08-2006 07:40

We noticed the new restaurant in the square and decided to try it one night after a drink in Bony's.

I thought it was trying to attract the hip and trendy crowd, which we are not at all! All the tables outside were full so we managed to get a seat just inside the entrance. From here we could see the two chefs at the back of the restaurant barbecuing the food and we were able to watch the young enthusiastic staff scurrying about at top speed.

Upstairs there's a drinks lounge with a steady stream of people coming and going. It was certainly very busy!

We ordered from a young and friendly waitress and the children chose hamburger and grilled chicken. I chose haricot beans and ham for a starter while hubby went for the Manchego cheese with pa amb oli.

Both starters were OK - my haricot beans became a bit samey after two or three mouthfuls and hubby's pa amb oli looked a bit pale to me, but he didn't comment.

The children's meals were disappointing. My daughter left most of her hamburger and when I nibbled a bit it was dry and tasteless. My son's chicken was a bit boney, but as he was more interested in playing in the square, he just ate what I managed to get into him and then ran off again.

Both meals were served with a small jacket potato and sour cream dressing.

For our main course we'd chosen the mixed grill BBQ for two and the waiter brought a mini BBQ to our table and balanced a plate of cooked meat on top. I have to say that the meat was almost cold and I picked up what looked like a black pudding sausage, tasted it and almost gagged on the flavour. I'm still not sure what it was, but I reached for my wine glass pretty quickly!

The mixed grill included a couple of small pieces of steak, some spare ribs, sausages, a piece of chicken, the unidentifiable thing, a small jacket potato and a mushroom.

I was not impressed but hubby gamely munched his way through the steaks and the spare ribs while I nicked the rest, including the potato and the mushroom.

I know this restaurant is new, and everyone deserves a chance, so it would be great to hear more about it. I know Sazzle enjoyed the food so we might have experienced an off night. But they have a lot of competition in PP and the prices weren't cheap. The strong point was the staff who were helpful, friendly and hard-working.

Our bill was about 95 euros for the four of us which included soft drinks and two glasses of wine. We didn't have dessert.

http://static.flickr.com/88/219206824_3e35a050c4_o.jpg

Jane:D

terryw 14-08-2006 14:52

Jane
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. We didn't get an opportunity to visit whilst we were out (came home the day of the launch party), but were expecting good things as it is under the same ownership as the Tiberi, which became one of our favourites.

We'll give it a try next year when any problems definitely can't be put down to teething

Terry

JH02JLH 14-08-2006 15:07

Hi Terry

We kept wanting to try Tiberi as I'd heard good things and I liked the look of the menu there, but there are so many restaurants to choose from, it's really difficult!

I really hope we just had an off night and it would be great to hear some good reports of Makassar as the summer goes on.

Jane:D

Portofan 14-08-2006 15:52

Re Makassars

Hi guys and gals!

Interested to read of a new place.

I cannot quite figure where this is exactly.

As you stand in the square facing Bar Cultural, next on the right is the Borras, then the little terrace where Borras used to and maybe still served breakfast.

Then to the right a building which housed among other things a psychologist, followed by older residential house(s), occupied by elderly locals then on to the open part of Tango.

Maybe someone can clarify where the new place is.

And all the Makassar posters in the room for a chat last night by way of coincidence.;)

Looking forward to more of these foodie reports Jane!:D

pollensa 14-08-2006 16:31

Re: Re Makassars

I think that you'll find it is directly next to the Borras & possibly in the terrace you mentioned. When we were there in July there was building work going on there. So basically an excellent location.

bee66 14-08-2006 20:06

re nicos thread

pollensa, all I can say is dammed if you do dammed if you don't!! keep up the good work, I think its a great web site and people are very friendly and informative.

bee66 14-08-2006 20:07

Re: re nicos thread

sorry I've gone on the wrong thread. silly elderly me.>:

pollensa 14-08-2006 20:29

Re: re nicos thread

Don't worry Bee - we understand - but please keep posting on Makassars here!

Quelys 09-08-2007 00:05

Re: Makassar

Hi,

Has anyone tried Makassar this year? Any reviews would be interesting to see if improved since opening last year!?

AlanB 12-08-2007 22:55

Visited on Friday 3rd August and managed to get a table for 8 at 7.30pm without a reservation.

Food generally good. Favourite starters were fish soup and spiced beans. Sea Bass, lamb and steaks good although the quality of steak varied from person to person.

Good service. Prices comparable to Maxims and Las Brisas.

Quelys 14-08-2007 00:22

Thanks for your reply