Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-08-2007, 08:25
Tony Roan

Default Roan's Review of eating out on PP.

Just back from 2 weeks in PP. Here's quick review of where we ate.

Torre Player...They must have the friendliest staff in PP. Excellent atmosphere and they all work very hard. The food is well above average and the prices are very reasonable. Had a really good first night there. And returned a couple more times.

The Ivy Garden...What a real disappointment. I'd always fancied going there over the last five or six years we've been to PP but always thought it looked a bit too classy and up-market for us. Boy, was I wrong? The atmosphere was non-existent, the staff were cold and business-like and were all running around like headless chickens although there were hardly any customers in there! It was as if they were told to look busy even when they weren't. Chill out girls and don't look so serious. Food - I had the home made fish cakes. I could have got better from our local chippy. I had a chicken curry with cous cous for starters. I've never had a curry on top of a salad before. Very interesting, and it was twice the size of the main meal. My wife had the sea bass which was very good and recommended by the waitress. What she didn't tell us was that is was 19 euros! Not very impressed at all.

Bar Coral...Excellent as usual. The roast lamb just melts in your mouth. I actually picked up shoulder bone, when no one was looking, and bit off the last fragments of meat. My wife had the sole which was also delicious. The cheesecake..well, it felt like I was commiting a sin eating it. It was out of this world. And of course the warm welcome and the service were a brilliant as always.

L'Olivera...A first for me and what a surprise. We went there 3 times! Excellent service, friendly staff and lovely food. The owner told us he was fed up working for someone else so he bought the place. Hope he makes a success of the place, he deserves to. The Scottish waiter, who looks more Spanish than the Spanish waiters, was very friendly and helpful. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

That's ya lot. Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Old 15-08-2007, 15:28

Yup .... where's L'Olivera ??
Old 15-08-2007, 17:10

...and Torre Playa?

Interested to read about your experience of Ivy Garden. Back to PP in September for hubby's 40th birthday and I was planning to take him to Ivy Garden for his birthday meal. I have never been but recommendations on this site suggested it was a good place for a romantic meal. That doesn't sound like your experience though and I want it to be really special so I amy have a re-think. :rolleyes

Thanks Lala
Old 15-08-2007, 18:19
Tony Roan

Default Roan's Review of eating out.

O'Olivera is right next to Simbad's, on the front.
Torre Player is further along just before the bridge.
As for Ivy garden, maybe is what just me, maybe it was a bad night. But it lacked that 'special' exciting eating-out experience.
Old 15-08-2007, 20:20
star81

Default Re: Roan's Review of eating out.

We went to the Ivy Garden once (a couple of years back) and have never been back. The food was ok, nothing special and i was not overly impressed with the staff so I can fully appreciate what you are saying Tony. It's not somewhere I would recommend.

Lala, if I were taking somebody out for a special 40th birthday meal I would def go to C'an Costa.
Old 15-08-2007, 20:36

I agree with Star - Ca'n Costa has it all for a romantic evening.

Jane
Old 15-08-2007, 23:10
Hamcas

Went to Ivy Garden 4 years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary, like other comments, food was ok but service was non existant, despite going to PP 2 or 3 times a year we have never been back to Ivy Garden since. Much better going to Pollensa old town for special meal, ie, Can Costa, La Font de Gall, Cantonet etc.
Old 15-08-2007, 23:14

Thanks Star, Jane.

I wondered about Ca'n Costa (never been - but on recommendations - tried this year during the day but it was closed) but (if I was at the right place!) that is in the old town isn't it? We are staying in the port so that would mean a taxi rather than a short stagger home? Would we better placed somewhere in the Port? I had originally planned champagne at no 49 then the Ivy Garden. Would Stay be a good alternative? Any suggestions greatfully received!

Lala :rolleyes
Old 15-08-2007, 23:20
THE SITE NUTTER

hy tony only three reviews for a two week holiday. still i guess "ROAN WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY" cheer's:lol
Old 15-08-2007, 23:42

In fact we went to La Font Del Gall this year for our 25th, the people they could not be more helpful and attentive if they tried, all the staff are so frindly and we had a long chat with the scottish owner who is having a baby in a couple of months. Definetly the place for a special meal, but you need to book.
Old 16-08-2007, 02:31

Have been to The Ivy Garden twice and agree with everyone else ..nothing special at all , so would rethink for the birthday 'do'

Would definitely recommend Stay or C'an Costa.

You would need to book Stay and it's always busy ..a lovely setting and very good food.

C'an Costa is huge so you won't need to book although you can feel a bit lost if there are not many people in on the night you go, especially if only two of you.

Another very romantic setting is La Terraza in Alcanada, just a short taxi ride away near Alcudia.

Debs
Old 16-08-2007, 02:49

Default RE: ROAN'S REVIEW OF EATING OUT

Lala,

Debs is right, book a waterside table at Stay, go a la carte ( ignore the naff photos in the menu) and the whole package is hard to beat. See my review " Stay, I want to be with you tonight" on page 17 of Eating & Drinking out.

Enjoy

BonysLad

Alas, Claudia and I still ain't an item !!!!!
Old 16-08-2007, 02:56

Default Re: RE: ROAN'S REVIEW OF EATING OUT

Here's Bonyslad's great post about Stay:

p221.ezboard.com/fpollensaforumfrm13.showMessage?topicID=312.topic

I should really have included it in the restaurant reference guide as well!

Jane
Old 16-08-2007, 03:46

Re Olivera

We bought baguettes from their a couple of lunchtimes and took them over to the beach ......... fantastic taste , fantastic value
Old 16-08-2007, 05:54
lizglass1

L'olivera

This is a great place. The owner is one of two twin brothers who used to work at the very up-market yacht club restaurant. Tony and Danny. First class in all aspects of customer service.
We drop by the new place in May and delighted to see Tony running it. He told us all the changes he'd made and the food they were serving was brilliant.
He wants people to be happy with what he's serving and will do well there.
Next visit, we'll be eating there a few times.
Spoke to the skinny waiter in Spanish and he replied in a brilliant Glaswegian accent. We thought at first that he was Spanish but had learned the Glesga patter from all the Scottish holiday makers. We laughed out loud when we realised he was actually Scottish.