Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Bar Owners Strike (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/7154-bar-owners-strike.html)

sws97sdg 18-03-2011 09:51

Bar Owners Strike

Just when we thought all the strikes over easter were finished.

Bars fix lockout date, 18th April
STAFF REPORTER
OWNERS of bars, restaurants and cafeterias on Majorca will be shutting their doors at 6pm on 18th April and joining a demonstration against the economic damage that has been done to the food and drink industry by the total smoking ban introduced at the start of the year, the Balearic Business Federation (CAEB) confirmed yesterday.

The industrial lockout, of which warning has already been given by both the Business Federation and the hostelry sector of the Majorcan small to medium-sized businesses association (PIMEM), will be timed to coincide with the demonstration. Hence businesses will be closed for several hours.

Smiddy 20-03-2011 15:51

Whoever next! Hospitals? Protesting about the ridiculous amount of patients they receive due to smoke related illnesses:rolleyes:

fil6699 20-03-2011 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by sws97sdg (Post 55747)
Just when we thought all the strikes over easter were finished.

Bars fix lockout date, 18th April
STAFF REPORTER
OWNERS of bars, restaurants and cafeterias on Majorca will be shutting their doors at 6pm on 18th April and joining a demonstration against the economic damage that has been done to the food and drink industry by the total smoking ban introduced at the start of the year, the Balearic Business Federation (CAEB) confirmed yesterday.

The industrial lockout, of which warning has already been given by both the Business Federation and the hostelry sector of the Majorcan small to medium-sized businesses association (PIMEM), will be timed to coincide with the demonstration. Hence businesses will be closed for several hours.

Hmmm is that not shooting oneself in the foot somewhat?

BonysLad 20-03-2011 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiddy (Post 55810)
Whoever next! Hospitals? Protesting about the ridiculous amount of patients they receive due to smoke related illnesses:rolleyes:

Smiddy,

Yeah, but get yourself in any A & E department on a Friday/Sat night and count the boozers against the smokers .

The evil brew costs us a lot more than us wheezers !!!

Yours in abstinence.

BonysLad ;)

fil6699 20-03-2011 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonysLad (Post 55818)
Smiddy,

Yeah, but get yourself in any A & E department on a Friday/Sat night and count the boozers against the smokers .

Yours in abstinence.

BonysLad ;)

LOL I have a Harry Hill image in my head Booz V Fags" FIGHT FIGHT FIGH" LOL

Chemical Dave 20-03-2011 21:15

I'll bet there are no ex-pat owned/run bars closed in protest. Even so closing at 6pm for "several hours" on a Monday night, out of season?, they will lose a fortune, not. I am sure they will be back open by 8pm.

Adios

Dave

cumberland8 21-03-2011 07:47

Barmy if you ask me, stopping smoking in bars & restaurents was the best move made in certain countries for the past 50 years.
Now watch this thread take off.

sws97sdg 21-03-2011 09:47

Not sure I wanted to start a new thread on the smoking ban again, just wanted to warn people of the possible strike, I think we decided it was up to the individual what they did, and as its law now its immaterial anyway. As stated its seems strange to close your bar because because you are losing trade :confused: Sure most wont

Smiddy 22-03-2011 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonysLad (Post 55818)
Smiddy,

Yours in abstinence.

BonysLad ;)

I'll stand right behind you in your protest against the booze, brother:)

Smiddy 22-03-2011 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by fil6699 (Post 55822)
LOL I have a Harry Hill image in my head Booz V Fags" FIGHT FIGHT FIGH" LOL

A big, soft, Southern, Watford supporter wouldn't last 5 mins with me, and he knows it:):)

Fencer 22-03-2011 13:05

For us that like to have a tipple, the only thing that we can do if the bars close for a night. Is counter strike for the same duration.:rolleyes:

Sparky 22-03-2011 13:15

It won't bother me as i don't drink.................................on Mondays. Unless of course it is a bank holiday anywhere in the world ;);).

ray 22-03-2011 14:01

Not so much a strike as a protest, if the bars are losing money due to the smoking ban, it's just because people are giving up smoking and presumably the bar culture that is Mallorca. Next thing we know they'll be putting up speed cameras in Pollenca and Alcudia......................oh;)

BigErn 22-03-2011 15:57

Just typical!!

We are there that day.

Oh well looks like a long lazy lunch will be the order of the day!!

Sparky 22-03-2011 16:05

Don't worry i think the lockout will be mainly in Palma ;).

BonysLad 22-03-2011 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiddy (Post 55890)
A big, soft, Southern, Watford supporter wouldn't last 5 mins with me, and he knows it:):)

Och Aye, Mate . You and whose army ??

You'll learn aperitif is a new set of dentures not a nice cocktail in Bonys !!!

Still wearing those skirts up north of Hadrian's Wall ??

BonysLad :cool::cool:

debz1 22-03-2011 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonysLad (Post 55923)

Brilliant BL :D

So it's all round to your pad for bubbles in the hot tub on the 18th ...and I mean champagne ;)

Hamcas 22-03-2011 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiddy (Post 55890)

2 -1, surging up the table to 18th thanks to Andrew Taylor strike from 2 yds.

pollensafan 23-03-2011 09:00

Re protest, They can take any action they want but i predict that the smoking ban will never be reversed. They need to get over it, get used to it and move on.

BonysLad 23-03-2011 11:08

Hamcas,

Can we have him back, please ???

Are you out this year ?

Debs,

You're on . I find the old probiotics helps with that little problem !!!

BonysLad ;);)

Hamcas 23-03-2011 20:20

Bony,
out on cup final day, took a gamble on Boro not getting to the final, so went and booked flights, pretty safe bet really. Also early sept booked upto now.

Hamcas

Smiddy 23-03-2011 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonysLad (Post 55923)

Nah! Bit too cold for the Hadrians sitting on that wall!