Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 21:10
terryw

Default Our fortnight of eating

Hi Everyone. Another fortnight in the wonderful resort behind us, thought I would follow the trend and give a quick (!) review of our various restaurant visits. First things first we are creatures of habit, so return visits are very much the norm as far as we are concerned, however we did spread our wings a little bit more this time

Saturday Night, our Jet 2 flight was delayed, and we had a nightmare time in Palma Baggage collection so didn’t get to PP until midnight. Wonderful reception from Jose at Bony’s, who suggested we brought a Kebab around the corner and eat at his table. Kebab was passable at best, but we were ravenous and the chips were perfect

Sunday – Nico’s
Love the new location, must be some great competition between them and Tiberi these days. Food (Chilli / Quesadillas) was very good, and the staff welcoming and extremely friendly. It’s always a nice feeling to be remembered from the previous year.

Monday – Takeaway Pizzas from Little Italy, eaten on the balcony with a nice bottle of wine

Tuesday – Guru
Rather disappointing I’m afraid. The kids didn’t enjoy their burgers, and our chicken in vegetables was rather bland. Most disappointing was the attitude of the staff however. They were quite slow and lacked any friendliness or enthusiasm (almost robotic). Such a difference from previous years where their staff had been really great. Packed every night however, so they probably don’t think its worth the bother

Wednesday – O Lume
What can I say? Not a restaurant we would have considered in the past, but we did feel it was about time we tried a more traditional Mallorcan restaurant experience. There has been such a lot written on the forum about this place that we felt we should give it a try. It is a little daunting going into a completely empty restaurant, but wow, was it worth it !!! The service and the food was simply stunning. We passed on starters but I had the biggest steak I have ever seen, succulent and tender, the girls had chicken breast and green pepper sauce, and the wife, pork loin. All went down perfectly, followed by some seriously scrummy deserts, coffee and wine. Total price 86 euro. Speechless. Restaurant was pretty full by the end of the evening too, which was great,

Thursday – El Posito
Again, being regular readers of the reviews on these pages we felt we really needed to give this one a try, and once again we weren’t to be disappointed. I’m not sure which of the waiters is which, but we were met at the door by the one with shorter hair and glasses. We did feel that because we hadn’t booked and he had to squeeze us in that he was little bit abrupt, he (gently) scolded my eldest for not choosing off the recommended menu. It was a little strange but in hindsight however I believe this was his nature and we had warmed to them both by the end of the evening. We tried Tumbet and Frito Mallocan for the first time (I would’ve given you 100/1 at the start of the holiday about that happening), and Prawns in Garlic as starters. Main courses were Pork Tenderloin, Lamb, Tenderloin of beef and Cod in Garlic & bacon. The first three were perfect, but the garlic on the fish dish was too overpowering. The wife mentioned this to the waiter who accepted her comments very graciously. Nice deserts, coffee and drinks for 108Euro

Friday
Weather was atrocious, so we decided to pop downstairs to the guru for lunch. Mozeralla Sticks, Nachos, onions rings, prawns, and a pizza to share. All very nice rounded off by a complimentary desert. Skeleton staff, a young guy who couldn’t speak a word of English, and a lovely older lady, who was far more friendly than the staff we experienced the other evening
Nicos – Return visit, great food, great staff

Saturday
Another balcony and bottle evening, this time an Indian takeaway from Everest. Probably the most disappointing meal of the week, wouldn’t bother again (which is a shame as we had enjoyed it last year).

Sunday
Makasser in the Square. We’d been looking forward to trying this one (last year the opening night was the day we left). Were not disappointed, good food, and the staff turned out to be the enthusiastic and friendly ones from Guru last year. Shared starters (Peppers and Nachos), Chicken and steak in sauces all very nice and tasty, with drinks approx 100euro. Complimentary drink on the roof terrace which is highly recommended as it has a lovely atmosphere up there. Stayed far longer than we should

Monday
Back to El Posito, where we passed on starters but all had lamb, which was cooked to perfection, possibly the most striking meal of the week. Literally fell off the bone

Tuesday
Back to Nico’s (I said we were creatures of habit, but I know what I like………)

Wednesday
Gave Guru another try. Food was excellent this time. The wife classed her pork loin one of the best dishes of the week. Unfortunately the staff were once again distinctly average

Thursday
Saving the best until last, we spent our final evening in O Lume, with Jaime’s quiet, gentle, understated but perfect service. Food was once again magnificent, but learning a lesson, we went for the smaller steak, which was still huge but effectively saved on the cost of a whole main course. This time its was very quiet, just us and one other couple during the time we were there. Didn’t bother us, but it really is such a shame. Jaime assured us that some nights he has to turn people away, but that he finds it frustrating that his custom is so unpredictable. All I can say is anyone who hasn’t tried it really should. It is spectacular.

That’s it. 2 weeks, much heavier in everyway except my wallet, we had a great week and can’t wait to return next year

Highlights……Oh Lume, El Posito
Old Favorites that didn’t let us down…Nicos
Old Favorites that were rather disappointing…Guru
New ones to try again….Makasser
Drop off the page…..Everest, oh and the Kebab shop

Finally, a word for Jose, in Bony's. We really did spend far too long there, but we just simply love the atmosphere he generates, his fun and enthusiasm. He made a real fuss of the family throughout the week, and has a marvellous knack of making everyone feel special. He has a good team there this year, and seems able to concentrate more on his "front of house" clowning which is good, but although he jokes about it he is still extremely hard working and "professional". A real star.

Cheers
Terry
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2007, 21:23

Hi Terry

Glad you enjoyed your hols and I really enjoyed your post.

Re El Posito. That's you met Tony, himself, yes the one with shorter hair and the glasses!!:lol

So glad he was able to welcome you, in his inimitable way. :eek

And O Lume too , yes people, use it or lose it!

Porto
Old 01-09-2007, 21:24

Hi Terry

What a great post. Really enjoyed reading it.

I was in PP during your first week and also tried O Lume on Monday evening. Not somewhere I would ever normally have chosen but, based on all the recommendations on this site, decided to give it a try. It was superb. Just a pity there were so few of us in there.

You've given me a few ideas for next time so thanks again.
Old 02-09-2007, 00:19

Hi Terry,

Thanks - this had me salivating. Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. I am afraid we would not be coaxed back to Guru - we had quite possibly our worst meal ever there (for PP anyway!)

I am definitely going to give O' Lume a try later this month - can't wait! El Posito may also have to be added - did you notice if they do any chicken dishes or veggy options (besides Tumbet) for semi-veggy hubby? He can sometimes be coaxed into some pork/ poultry but prefers a veggy selection to choose from.

Thanks,

Lala
Old 02-09-2007, 01:14
terryw

Lala

Sorry but I can't really remember. Tony (thanks Portofan) was pushing the separate "recommended" menu, which definitely didn't include chicken, so we hardly spent anytime checking out the full menu.
I'm sure there are some El Posito regulars on here who will have a much better idea than me.

Regards Guru, it really was disappointing, although in my case it wasn't so much the quality of the food but the attitude of the staff.

Terry
Old 02-09-2007, 03:57

Terry,

Sorry to hear your report about the staff in Guru being somewhat short of the usual level of freindliness and indifferent meals.

For several years now we have stayed above (Flat 2C),

Listened to the music, the chit chat etc. while the staff prepared for the evening services. We have eaten there and never had a bad meal, the opposite applied with the freindliest service etc. etc.

Hmm. it just proves the fragility of catering in a holiday resort.

You pay your money and take your chance I'am afraid.

Thanks for the post (it made me feel nostalgic as we are not going out to PP this year).

kind regards,

Jimbo
Old 02-09-2007, 06:20

Terry great report glad you enjoyed O'Lume ben on about it for ages superb food and service Jamie all the best great guy one of the best in the port.
Old 02-09-2007, 16:28
griffo

Terry

Could tell me where Nicos is now as this is one of our fav's

Cheers

Griffo
Old 02-09-2007, 16:35
terryw

Hi Griffo
Just off the square, directly opposite Tiberi, lovely new spacious premises.
Much better for people watching than the old location on the Formentor road

For information, the old premises has been taken over by a new restaurant "Diablito". Looks modern, with similar fare, but seemed quite quiet and we didn't try it.

Anyone else given it a try?

Terry