Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 16:41

Default Typical Majorcan Restaurant in PP

Hi want to take my wife to a typical Majorcan place in PP when we come over in September? Any recommendations?
Tony
Sponsored Links
Old 28-07-2011, 17:18

Hi Kirky, If you check out Eating Out section you will see a few restaurants there which may take your fancy,
A couple of the more Mallorcan restaurants are OLume, and Cellar La Parra, but you will find others too!
Restaurants, Cafes, Bars in Puerto Pollensa (Port de Pollenca), Majorca Mallorca
Old 28-07-2011, 17:22

Kirky/Tony

GWF Kirky/Tony?????

I may disappoint you but the typical Mallorcan place is now just a typical tourist place. There are few "old style" traditional places left on the island and, certainly, none in the areas heavily used by tourists.

What you will find in PP are places that do representations of traditional (if not necessarily very authentic) Mallorcan dishes. A nosy through threads in this section should help to sort the wheat from the chaff - but if you can give an idea what sort of food you're looking for, folk will be able to give a better response. That aside, there's probably nothing more typically Mallorcan than eating fish - so perhaps the places to recommend are La Llonja and Stay right on the harbour moll. Many folk here rave about Stay but we had a very disappointing meal on our last trip and it won't be on my list for our next one.

John

Last edited by Harters; 28-07-2011 at 17:25.
Old 28-07-2011, 17:32

Hi Iwould suggest El Posito, Cellar La Parra and O'Lume all excellent. If you go to Cellar La Parra ask for a table inside the surroundings are quirky and askfor Jarra del a casa (the family wine). We always book these restaurants as they are very popular.

Have a great holiday.
Old 28-07-2011, 17:42

We have had some pretty good meals in Los Faroles - especially fish - it's always popular with locals and has a lively atmosphere. Looks a little gloomy and unpromising from the outside but the back room is very pleasant, decorated in 'traditional' style. Brisa Marina owned by the same family is also good but is perhaps quieter and more popular with tourists. Also excellent for fresh fish, and they do delicious Spanish-style soups. They are both reasonably priced, especially the Menu del Dia, but I would recommend going for Sunday lunch (when the MDD isn't available) for the best atmosphere as they are usually packed with Mallorcan families.

I'd also definitely recommend O'Lume and El Posito for the quality of the food and good service.
Old 28-07-2011, 18:33
Super Moderator

Hi Kirky, while i love O Lume the food is from Northern Spain.
If it's "authentic Mallorcan food" you want in the Port then there is Can Ferrar, Cellar la Parra and El Posito.
Or you could go to Cellar El Moli which is in Pollensa town, very rustic and typical Mallorcan.
Old 28-07-2011, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harters View Post
Kirky/Tony
I may disappoint you but the typical Mallorcan place is now just a typical tourist place. There are few "old style" traditional places left on the island and, certainly, none in the areas heavily used by tourists.
John
Not so sure I agree with this - I think there are plenty of typical Mallorcan places around, some of which certainly don't just cater for 'tourists' as their mainstay of custom is local and open throughout the year.
Old 28-07-2011, 18:59
Super Moderator

Very true Barefoot, i have only named 4 because that's all that i have dined in but there are certainly more than that.
Old 29-07-2011, 00:02

Harters, small world on Forums, yes it is Tony "Kirky" from GWF, not much WW1 in PP!
Tony
Old 29-07-2011, 09:35

Wotcha, mate. Good to see you here as well as there.

What did you have in mind for the restaurant? Typical Mallorcan food? Place the Mallorcans go and few tourists (although, of course, lots of locals is no indication of good food - think how full Harvesters get in UK)? Something else?

The El Moli as mentioned upthread is pretty "local" at lunchtime. Or at least it was when we were last there in 2008. Served a dead cheap meal with only a couple of choices at each course. There used to be loads of places like this - providing a hot meal for workers who couldnt get home for lunch. Of course, now everyone has cars, most have gone out of business or changed their emphasis to catering more for tourists. El Moli seemed to be still doing the original idea - last time we were there we seated at a table for six. The others were a couple of blokes in suits and a couple of decorators in their overalls. Needless to say, not fancy food at all - think of it like the works canteen.

But if you're hiring a car, you'd be able to get away from the more touristy areas and be able to find something more "authentic".

John
Old 29-07-2011, 09:41

We have had Restaurant Siller recommended by a Mallorcan as very traditional food, where many locals choose to eat, although have not managed to get there yet ourselves. It is just around the corner from Confort electricals.
Old 29-07-2011, 10:01

Thanks for all of your help, looking to eat traditional Majorcan food in a place we can walk ( stagger) back to our Apartment in PP behind Pine Walk. Had Suckling pig many years ago and remember the taste even now!
Tony
Old 29-07-2011, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleywanderer View Post
We have had Restaurant Siller recommended by a Mallorcan as very traditional food, where many locals choose to eat, although have not managed to get there yet ourselves. It is just around the corner from Confort electricals.

Belive me, don't bother. The most ignorant man ever to have owned a restaurant & if you are taking children a double no no. This is the only place in Mallorca that I have felt uncomfortable in while dining.
Old 29-07-2011, 10:44
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKY View Post
Thanks for all of your help, looking to eat traditional Majorcan food in a place we can walk ( stagger) back to our Apartment in PP behind Pine Walk. Had Suckling pig many years ago and remember the taste even now!
Tony
El Posito does great suckling pig and is not far from the square. The chef is from Mallorca and has 40 years experience in the business.
Old 29-07-2011, 10:56

Agree Sparky, great food. Saw you & your hubby in there last year proping up the bar whilst we were dining. Will make sure we say hello to you this year if we bump into you.