Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-2007, 15:44
sennared

Default la piazza ,maxim

has anybody got any views on these two,are the same place?
Sponsored Links
Old 16-06-2007, 16:04

Is la Piazza the "Italian" place at the top of the square? (think separated from Maxims by the Kasmir?) If so, someone told me that both that restaurant and Maxims were owned by the same people BUT I have had very different dining experiences at both.

The food at Maxims is generally very good, with generous portions and of good quality - nice wine list too. The service can be a bit of a hit or a miss. I have had a meal where they were over- attentive (sitting inside) - every mouthful of wine was topped up/ offered the dessert menu 5 times - think they wanted our table! Another evening with family at an outside table they almost completely forgot about us and we had to eventually complain (after several polite requests involving one of us having to walk inside to find someone!) after which they became very grumpy (er no tip - THAT night.) Try to find a table outside in the centre and don't go with a large party is my tip (although there were only 6 of us!) Good steaks and nice presentation may make you want to persist with slow service.

Not had good experiences at all at the "Italian" - pizza was truly horrid first time and "bruschetta" was synthetic tasting garlic bread! Seemed to be a frozen pizza - base like a board. Poor, surly, inattentive service. Another night the same poor service. Wrong orders delivered. Waiters arguing in rapid Spanish over our heads. Overcharging.... avoid IMO!

Lala
Old 16-06-2007, 19:01
Joanne

Maxims and La Piazza are both favourites of ours, have found the service can be a bit on the slow side at Maxims and staff can be a bit on the unfriendly side but the food is very good in my opinion. Never had a problem at La Piazza normally eat inside the meal we had last year was very good indeed and the staff very helpful and friendly.
Old 16-06-2007, 19:04

Isn't it strange how we all have different experiences! I've never tried Maxim, but go to La Piazza regularly. I have never had a bad experience there and have always found the service and food great. I always favour those places that are open all year round, and this is one of them. On a wet winters evening in January, its packed and very welcoming. We ate there only a few days ago, and found the service very friendly and the food tasty and filling as usual.
Old 17-06-2007, 14:10
Joanne

The mozerella fried in breadcrumbs and the piazza starter of courgettes etc fried in breadcrumbs is very tasty can't wait to get back and have it again, not going for another 8 weeks but I think I have nearly planned out what I will be eating for the 2 weeks!!
Old 18-06-2007, 02:53
jessiebean

Ate at La Piazza last week. The food was lovely, the service wasn't bad but I just found that none of the waiters/waitresses could muster up a smile. I know that they are really busy and rushed off their feet but surely some form of welcoming glance would be nice. They seemed really bothered by the fact that we had a child with us! Only went there because of the food as I know it is good.

Maybe I am so used to waiters/waitresses around the Port being so friendly (especially to the kids).

Never tried Maxim's, will give it a go in October.

Jessiebean
Old 21-06-2007, 04:50
Tony Roan

Default La Piazza , Maxim

If we are talking about great places to eat, my favourite has got to be Bar Coral. Great service, great food and drink and very friendly staff. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. It's better inside then outside.
Also, Los Zarzales. A lovely place to eat. It's better outside than inside!

I don't speak much Spanish but I always finish off my meal with a carajiilo. It's the one word I always remember. It's a small, strong coffee with brandy or whisky. The bonus is that they don't just put the brandy/whisky in your coffee, they leave the bottle on the table and you can help yourself to the bottle!

Anyone got any opinions on Olivers? I've often passed it and looked in the window but have never been in, is it worth a visit?
Tony
Old 21-06-2007, 18:59
Founder

Default Re: La Piazza , Maxim

Hi Tony,

thanks for the recommendations but please could you start a new thread for those & keep this thread on La Piazza & Maxim,

Thanks Webmaster
Old 28-06-2007, 00:12

Check out their classy new web page designed by Rafa at PC Coste:

www.maximpiazza.com

I'm sure if you send comments about your experiences direct they would do their best to improve service
Old 25-07-2007, 01:13

A few years we had very bad (rude) service at Maxims and so didn't going back until we met up with bella and her hubby last year

It is now one of our favourites! It has been re-furbished in recent years and the menu is a mix of modern and traditional.
I'm not sure if it has changed owners since our bad experience, but the staff now are friendly and attentive..or at least they were in June/July! As in a lot of restaurants tempers can get a bit frayed at the height of the season >:

I had a HUGE bowel of mussels to start which were delicious and in a really lovely spicy sauce. Followed by a Thai green curry which was fantastic ...can't wait to go back and have it again :b

Debs
Old 26-07-2007, 01:24

Hey Debs!

Dont go for bland food do you?:lol

Porto
Old 26-07-2007, 07:14

Porto it was one of my spicy nights

Debs
Old 12-08-2007, 01:23

Hi,

Just got back from two weeks in PP. Had some fantastic meals but have to say that La Piazza was not one of them. We had some problems with Maxims a few years ago and decided that it was fine for lunch but that they couldn't keep up the good service in the evening - pretty rude and uncaring actually!
We decided to give La Piazza a try this year as there had been good reviews. First off - I had to do battle with another customer who ignored me when I told him twice that we were waiting for the table for six that they were clearing - eventually Claudia (in charge and never smiles - think that is her name?) realised and steered us to the table. Her first and only brownie point that evening!
We then waited to order and were told forcefully that it was only for drinks first - again another wait to order food. The food that eventually arrived was really nice until the two Seafood Pizzas arrived as Margherita Pizzas. We explained their error and then two of our party then had to wait for their meals. When they eventually arrived - one had virtually raw prawns on it. My mum ate as much as she could but having already sent it back once just didn't eat it. She explained the problem to the waiter, who brough Claudia over and as far as she was concerned - these prawns were perfect! I always thought that prawns were one of those foods that should be cooked - and transluscent prawns are not cooked! She begrudingly removed this pizza from the bill. After more waiting we gave up and ordered the bill. This arrived quite quickly but was wrong so we then had to go in and sort this out. No apology was given - just amended.
To say that we felt unwelcome was an understatement. The sad thing is that like Maxims, the food is generally very good but the staff just don't seem to be able to do their job correctly. Instead of Claudia insisting on taking all orders, she should have a couple of head waiters and be overseeing them. Whilst we were giving our drinks order a guy was complaining that they had received bread and olives when they sat down but had now waited 20 mins to order their food.
I know that there are people on this forum that like the restaurant/s but I wonder in general how much repeat business they actually get.
I personally don't want to give either restaurant another Euro - which is a shame, but I don't really think they care as long as they are busy with tourists every night!
Old 12-08-2007, 17:29

Cocoa - sadly your experience is very similar to my (last ever) visit to La Piazza. Wrong food, wrong bill, poor service, surly, rude, arrogant waiters. :eek

Not nice when you are on holiday and a member of your family has to watch you eat because the waiter brought the wrong food and they then get their food after everyone is finished. >: Worse still when the waiters argue in Spanish above your heads about it and offer no apology >: Unforgiveable when they in fact insist that you ordered that seafood pasta for the vegetarian in the group - >:

There are other - far better - places to eat imo. A little attentiveness and courtesy go a long way!
Old 12-08-2007, 20:29

I was interested to read about La Piazza as we had a lovely lunch there last year. Admittedly, it was very quiet but the waiters were friendly, made a fuss of the children and the food was fine.

Perhaps being busier in the evening, standards slip a bit?

Similarly, with Maxim, we've never been a fan of the waiters, but the food has always been fantastic.

It's slightly alarming that the theme running through a lot of these recent threads is the "grumpiness" of the staff in the restaurants reviewed. I know it's the height of the season, but that should come as no surprise!

Jane8)