Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   How do you order your steaks?. (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/7056-how-do-you-order-your-steaks.html)

kate1 17-02-2011 13:37

How do you order your steaks?.

You are making my mouth water, Sparky! O'Lume will definitely be one of our first ports of call in April.

When we were out in October Jaime mentioned making 'some changes' to the restaurant - I assumed he meant the decor, but perhaps it was just the menu - you don't mention any startling new innovations...

I'm also interested to know how you order your steaks at O'Lume - ie rare, medium or well-done? The only thing we have found is that a medium steak there tends to be very bloody in the middle - we prefer ours pink, but not bloody - though Jaime is always delighted to stick it back on the grill. Partly this is because the steaks at O'Lume are the biggest I have ever seen and very thick - but I wondered if, to be on the safe side, it is better to order a well-done steak at this particular restaurant.

Those smaller lunchtime meals sound as if they will be great for children - don't think O'Lume ever had a children's menu though he would always rustle up pasta if asked - but now they will have a choice.

Sparky 17-02-2011 14:16

Hi Kate,
I know what you mean about Spanish "Medium" being quite bloody, when i first ordered steak in El Ancla the owner told me that medium would be too rare and said i should have it "medium poco hecho" which i assume means "medium to well done" as i always get a perfectly cooked steak but i am sure if you just ask for a little more than medium they will understand ;).
I am always afraid to ask for "well done" just in case that's how it comes, i think overcooked steak is tough and dry :eek:.

Gommar Goffer 17-02-2011 15:01

I quite like my steak on the rare side but if you ask for "medio bien hecho" it should be about right:)

BigErn 18-02-2011 06:15

if you like steaks pink but not bloody, try "medio pero sin sagre" we got this tip from a chef soemwhere in the port and always works for us

El Gordo 18-02-2011 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigErn (Post 54567)
if you like steaks pink but not bloody, try "medio pero sin sagre" we got this tip from a chef soemwhere in the port and always works for us

Good phrase Big Em :)

Sorry to be picky but it should read "medio pero sin sangre" which means "medium but without blood" which is more precise than "medio bien hecho" Which means "Medium well done"
according to Google Translate.:rolleyes:

El Gordo 18-02-2011 10:26

PS

I looked it up as my spanish is non existent. I thought PERO was a dog!! Didnt want that on my plate!!:rolleyes:

cumberland8 18-02-2011 10:49

Goodness me! I read the afore mentioned sentance out to my Border Terrier in Spanish, his poor little legs started to quiver.

Sparky 18-02-2011 10:50

LOL!!! yes things are often lost or confused in translation. The Spanish for dog btw is "Perro" and what ever you do don't ask for "Gateaux" if you want cake because "Gato" (same sound) is Spanish for cat :eek:;).

BigErn 18-02-2011 13:20

Thanks Hola

That will teach me to type on my Blackberry without my reading glasses !!!

I think you did too because its BIG ERN and not BIG EM !!!

sws97sdg 20-02-2011 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hola its GL (Post 54573)
Good phrase Big Em :)

Sorry to be picky but it should read "medio pero sin sangre" which means "medium but without blood" which is more precise than "medio bien hecho" Which means "Medium well done"
according to Google Translate.:rolleyes:

Did anyone see QI the other day, it turns out that it is not blood that runs out of rare meat, it is similar to blood but its the fluid that operates muscles in the animal, Stephen Fry said it so it must be true

eleanor 20-02-2011 20:13

Yek!!!! - Give me a salad anyday!

pollensafan 21-02-2011 07:57

Hi, If you want your steak well done you can save a lot of money just by taking off one of your shoes and asking them to cook the sole. The end result will be almost the same:)