Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-02-2011, 10:23
Under Moderation

Default Restaurants that cater for nut allergy sufferer

Hi
I'm coming to Puerto Pollenca in July with a teenager who suffers from nut allergy. Are there any restauants that are known to cater for people like him as we still want to be able to eat out while we are there.

Rena
Sponsored Links
Old 15-02-2011, 10:33
Super Moderator

Hi Rena and welcome to the forum, i don't know of any places that specifically cater for people with allergies but if you explain your situation they will advise you as to which dishes are safe to eat.
Old 19-02-2011, 15:47

Hi Rena
My son also has peanut allergy,he is now 18, and I've taken him abroad on numerous occasions including PP. My experience has been that restaurants don't specifically cater for nut allergies. As for explaining the situation unless your Spanish is really fluent it's really difficult to communicate the situation. Also generally speaking trying to explain in English is equally difficult as it's not a common problem.
However we eat out as much as possible and use the same rules both in UK and on holiday. I avoid all cuisines likely to use nuts,Indian, Chinese ,Thai etc. I check the menu before we go in case a dish that could contain nuts is on menu in my experience not that common in Mediterranean cuisine. If you ask specifically about a certain dish it's much easier to get a clear answer. Finally we never have desserts of any kind a potential danger area as many can contain nuts when not expected.
I hope you find at least part of that helpful. Enjoy your holiday in PP when It comes.
Allan.
Old 19-02-2011, 17:23

Sound advice about desserts. They could well contain almonds which are a common ingredient in Majorcan cuisine, and they are also to be found with meat and fish dishes. Pine nuts (does the allergy apply to these) are also common, for instance in stuffed peppers. You'd be right to be a bit cautious. "Alergia a las nueces" is the Spanish, though how clued up all waiters might be, couldn't say.