Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-03-2006, 19:32
suemo

Default Re: Tex-Mex

Smiddy, I am trying not to take that the wrong way - but maybe this is just my opinion, they may be your two worst dining experiences, but they were certainly not mine!

Looks like I don't have as much of a decerning pallet as my friends in the forum!!!!!

They are not my favourite eating spots in PP, but I still felt that all the negative response was a little unjustified.
Sponsored Links
Old 25-03-2006, 03:03
JMD40

Once again we are back to the point that we all fancy different eating experineces on different days or with different company. If we all wanted the same restaurant we would never get a table so there is a bright side - no one is wrong or right, it is what you feel and even the best places have off nights with poor service or problems in the kitchens! Nicos is not linked with Dakota in the Square and was there many moons before Dakota set up and in my expereince offers incredibly good portions of home cooked food at very reasonable prices and with pleasant staff in a relaxed atmosphere - it is great if you have young children and it is popular with the locals at the weekend - you will not find many spanish sitting in Dakota!! It naturally cannot be compared with stay or Can Cuarrassa but then again it is not meant to be!!
Once again, I would like to point out that Stay is NOT connected with La Llonja which I am off too tonight with my Mum - second time and I am sure it will be as good as the first! Sorry, Keith if you are reading this I will make you jelous!! Has anyone else had the pleasure yet??
Old 25-03-2006, 03:21

Agree with your comments about Nico's and how it shouldn't be tarred with the same brush as Dakota. My kids and husband love it and although its not my No 1 restaurant the food is very good and the portions generous. Its always packed and very popular with young families.

It's open all year and we go more in the Winter than the Summer because it's hard to get a table in August You can't beat their chilli on a cold February evening.

Just proves that not all Tex Mex is bad..and not an Indian or Pirate in sight!!
Old 26-03-2006, 00:35

Default Re Tex Mex

Well, this has certainly caused a stir. It woke me up and so I cycled down this afternoon to see what all the fuss was about. In fact it doesn't look too bad. I seem to remember the old place was a little run down, and the development isn't obtrusive. It has a little covered terrace and that's about it. It doesn't look like the little restaurant behind is part of the new place. I realise that I live up the other end of the Port, and I might get a bit stressed if it was there, but it really doewsn't look too bad
Old 26-03-2006, 05:57
smiddy

Default Suemo

Don't take offence!!! As you suggest each to ones own. I would merely point out there are so many more restaurants in the port who try so much harder than these 2 and are more deserving of our custom.
Old 26-03-2006, 07:54

Default Re: Stay

This is our first post on the forum having read comments over the years with interest. Just returned from a superb 10 days in PP - beautiful as ever and excellent weather for March.
Will try and be positive on lots of matters in the future but couldn't resist commenting on Stay.
We have had many very good meals in Stay but were very disappointed when the picture menus were introduced. Certainly lowered the tone, however nobody else seems to have picked up on what my wife used to giggle at every time we visited - the collage/picture of gold coloured doggy doos! Anyone else notice them?
New building going full steam ahead but can't see it opening much before June - however there should be more outside seating as they are extending the terrace another metre or so into the sea.
Old 26-03-2006, 16:55

Default La llonja

Went last week and it was fab. Attntive service - super food and not too pricey. Well worth a visit.

Agree about Tex Mex. It really doesn't look that awful - yet(!??). The decking is done quite tastefully and it is orientated so that it faces corb mari rather than the pine walk. Hope that reassures one or two people.
Old 26-03-2006, 18:16
Founder

Default Re: La llonja

Please note that this posting is entitled the 'not so good' so that members can point out places that 'could do better'. So it's a shame to include places such as La llonja that you enjoyed. The post regarding the new Tex Mex is under a general discussion in the Tapas Bar forum.

Thanks webmaster
Old 30-03-2006, 06:18
robjay

Default Dakota Tex Mex

I agree with Pollensa. Can we keep this thread open for posts on places that could be better if only they....................
As for the Dakota, well they could give me the Joe Montana shirt, padlock the door & throw away the key.
I have tried to make the connection between Dakota and Joe Montana who was born in Pennsylvania, played American football in California & Philadelphia. All States in America I know but where does crap food and bad service tie in with American States?:lol
Any ideas?
Take care.

Robjay
Old 30-03-2006, 06:22
Snowy

Default Re: Dakota Tex Mex

Rob lets hope your not inside ??
Old 30-03-2006, 06:27
robjay

Well I woudnt die of the cold but I would die of starvation:rollin
Take care.

Robjay
Old 30-03-2006, 20:01
robjay

Just had a thought................................have I just talked myself out of a free meal:eek : I think I can live with that thought :rollin :rollin :rollin
Take care.

Robjay
Old 31-03-2006, 04:26

I've had my fill of Tex-Mex places here in The States, and thus have no desire to visit one in PP, no matter how good or bad the restaurant is. Just my "two cents."
Old 24-04-2006, 19:00
robjay

Default Cafe L'Algar

As someone who sang the praises of this place. Please allow me to eat my words.
On a recent visit to PP I took my daughters into Cafe L'Algar with the promise of an experience they will never forget. I kept to my promise, Sad to say what I ment was a good experience.
Because it was my daughters first time in mallorca and because they were unacustomed to the various cakes and bisicuits avaliable, after taking our seat inside I showed them what was on display and told them what was in each item. When I sat back down we were approached by a waitress. This is where the experience really took off.
To say her attitude stank was putting it mildly. we had attracted the waitress from hell! I tried in my limited Spanish to clarify that the "Hot chocolate" drinks we had ordered were in fact chocolate flavoured milk which had been heat up not the thick mallocian hot chocolate sauce served in a cup the result of this was a blank stare, when I explained in english the blank stare was tainted with fustration verging on anger. It was down hill from there on in! sloppy service and the destinct feeling that we were interupting the staffs and their fun when ever we asked for something.
All 3 of my daughters have worked part and full time in various coffee shops resturants over the past few years dealing with tourists as well as locals. They were shocked by the staffs attitude.
The oddest thing was the look on the waitress's face when I gave her the exact amount on the bill!. For only the second time during my visits to PP I refused to leave a tip.

This place rates in my opinion joint first as the place with the worst staff attitude in PP. And the other place? You've guessed it!!!! next door.......the Dakota tex-Mex!!! And the odd thing, they are both owned and run by the same man.

Some advice for that man......You need to have a look at your staff selection/ training or maybe just employ more plastic Indians.

Take care.

Robjay
Old 24-04-2006, 21:14
Helen007

Default Worst restaurant

Have just returned from 2 weeks in PP. Worst restaurant has to be El Mojito, the waitress brought the wrong wine (rose instead of white) then glared at me like it was all my fault. Then we ordered monkfish and prawn kebabs and my husband had two chunks of steak in his (good job he is not a veggy!). When we complained they said the chef was busy preparing them that morning and must have got mixed up!! Tried to placate us with 2 glasses of the foul hierbas, I don't think so!! Also had lukewarm food at O lune Miel Chinese by roundabout.

On a brighter note, had 3 excellent meals at Los Zarzales (suckling pig was fab) and also at Manduca which was full of Spanish people and had a friendly waiter. And excellent lunches at Tamarells beach bar (try the swordfish, it is huge) and El Ancla opposite.