Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 06:49

Default Stay

After our meal at Eu Centro I suggested to hubby that we have a bit of a treat the next night, so off to Stay we went. We’d only ever eaten there at lunchtime before and I was keen to sit and watch the view of Puerto Pollensa by night.

We made sure we booked a table and arrived promptly at 8.30pm before being seated at a table just outside the main entrance. It was very busy. I’d forgotten how large the restaurant is and I looked forward to seeing how the place could maintain the standards we’d come to expect on such a frenetic evening.

I have to say the view was stunning. We weren’t on the front line, that is to say, right by the water’s edge, but we had a good view of the twinkling lights of the town and the sun sinking behind the beautifully crinkly mountains that form the wonderful backdrop to PP.

Our food order was taken quickly and efficiently and the Maitre’ D recommended a wine to go with our meal. Hubby chose the tomato salad with marinated mackerel to start followed by duck breast and my choices were the partridge ravioli in a mushroom sauce and then the pork loin in an apple and calvados sauce.

As we sat and admired the view little freebie starters of pea puree balanced on spoons arrived, accompanied by bread rolls and French toast. My son looked at his spoon in amusement and nothing I did could induce him to try it!

Our starters were fine but I have to admit to opening a little ravioli parcel and peering inside to find just a smidgen of partridge. The sauce was deliciously creamy and the portion generous. Hubby’s mackerel and tomato salad was described as superb.

While we ate our starters, the children’s main courses arrived and my daughter gamely worked her way through an adult portion of chicken. It was a dish I had ordered last year and was very good. Succulent chunks of chicken in a creamy sauce accompanied by a little pastry hat. My son had his favourite meal of spaghetti which disappeared rapidly.

There was no sign of the wine, however and when our main courses were delivered to the table, I asked a passing waiter what had happened to it. Within seconds, an ice-bucket and a bottle of Ca’n Vidalet white arrived, but we’d ordered a red. This was the second time this particular wine had failed to find a home as the couple sitting at the next table were offered it too…

Another waiter rushed up and asked us what we’d ordered. “We’ve no idea,” we replied. “The Maitre D’ recommended it.” He rushed off again and at this point I realised that the staff had lost it.

Eventually our wine arrived half way through our main course and turned out to be a very good Rioja Reserva which tasted like a rich sherry. However, our main courses were not up to the standards I’d expected from Stay. Hubby and I were given each other’s meals and at first we almost didn’t notice. My pork was tasteless and I couldn’t detect any Calvados in the sauce at all. Hubby’s duck could have been swapped for my pork and we’d have been none the wiser despite it being covered in a green pepper sauce.

The constant coming and goings around us reminded me, sadly, of a works canteen and with every passing footstep I seemed to bounce up and down in my seat! The staff were rushing around madly and I heard at least two angry remarks directed at the waiters and waitresses from the harassed Maitre D’.

The children decided to have dessert and ordered the three chocolate mousse and the crème brulee which were delicious. A nice touch at the end of the evening was a free liqueur for us adults and gorgeous chilled chocolates.

I’m not sure whether I would venture into Stay again at night, but maybe we caught it at the wrong time seeing as it was high season. It’s a very popular restaurant and the setting is exceptional but I’m not sure about the wooden decking…!

Jane
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2007, 03:41

Hi Jane,

We had a similar experience at Stay,I sometimes think the success of a restaurant,of which this obviosly has,along with its superb location and an endless stream of customers can make them a little complacent from time to time.
I think thats what was happening on our visit there,they just were not trying that night and didnt really care.
But next time it could be back to A1.
Old 25-09-2007, 02:07

We set off to Stay last Tuesday but sorry to say that we were a little disappointed. Correction - I was disappointed - Hubby declared it a good night but I think he was being polite.

Upon reflection - perhaps my expectations were too high - a combination of a truly wonderful meal 2 nights before at O'Lume and as it was hubby's 40th birthday I wanted it to be perfect... sadly it was just ok.:rolleyes

The setting is lovely and when I booked the table that day I was excited about the night to come, however it was a slightly chilly, breezy night and as it turned out (as these things always do when you plan them too much :lol ) and sitting on the water was not the warmest place to be with a silk dress on ....me not hubby you understand!

I can't put my finger on what it was but the restaurant just ...didn't have it. People have spoken about atmosphere or lack thereof at O'Lume but here was a restaurant which has arguably the best setting in the whole of PP but it just couldn't pull it off.

The service was - well the best way to describe it is WEIRD! The same waiter/ waitress never visited our table twice. Waiters were running - yes running - but all of the diners had glum faces and were complaining in turns! We waited 10 mins at the start without even being offered a drink and then once we got that we waited another 10 mins to be visited by the wine waiter who told us we couldn't order food from him. :rolleyes Er...does food not take longer to cook than locating a bottle of wine in the celler? ANYWAY (she's aware she's sounding like a grump here) some 35 minutes after we arrived we finally ordered food and then it all came suspiciously quickly. I'm talking minutes! Maybe they have a crystal ball and knew what we were going to order or perhaps things are already part-cooked ...you think? :rolleyes

The food was distinctly average I am afraid and it was hard to detect much of that elusive "atmosphere" when the woman next to was not only incredibly loud but chain-smoked the way through every course. Back to the food. A very, very strange smoky but not fishy nor cheesy tasting mouse as an appetiser (an ideas? :rolleyes ) yesterday's left over bread rolls (wasn't sure if they were meant for us to eat or feed to the fish) then hubby had soup - just "nice" and I had some delicious sounding wild mushroom thingy with filo which turned out to be a frozen vol-au-vent case with salty mushroom soup-like combo... Mains were ok - hubby a tired looking chicken casserole and me salmon - again "nice". The little volcano of rice was tasty. Free liquer and chocolates (not as nice as O'Lume's ) bottle of average white chosen from a very expensive wine menu. Total cost 90 euro.

So to summarise:

setting - wonderful
food - average
value - questionable :rolleyes
Service - very slow and slightly odd :lol
Other diners - annoyed or annoying
Toilets - completely see through! :eek
Claudia Shiffer - eating at O'Lume :rollin

Lala :rollin
Old 25-09-2007, 03:16
wiggy

Default Stay

Interesting comments. we recently returned from a short break in the area, having spent two weeks in the high season late July early August and four days in May. I showed my wife the comments and she was gobsmacked as we have eaten at the stay for many years and it was almost like you were describing a place not very far away, perhaps we are just lucky but the food has always been surperb and the set menu has to the best value in all of Puerto Pollensa.
Old 25-09-2007, 15:09

Hi Wiggy,

Sorry to diss one of your favourites All comes down to personal choice I know - maybe we caught them on an off night :rolleyes

The fact that it just wasn't a relaxed dining experience is probably colouring my impression of everything. Had the service been acceptable and the atmosphere been nicer I would probably have overlooked the food...

I felt it just didn't live up to it's pretentions - and was overly expensive for the standard reached on the night. But it's not just the money - it's the lost opportunity of eating somewhere else better.

Lala
Old 26-09-2007, 15:46
Pollensa Fan

Default stay

Well at least i know it's not me then.Can anybody tell me what get's this place such good comment's. i found it overpriced and the decor beyond belief. In fact my wife's comment "The inside looks like an office worker's canteen" summed it up perfectly. Perhaps it lives on past reputation.
Old 27-09-2007, 23:05

Default STAY

Lala,

Really sorry you had such an indifferent night, particularly as I seem to recall I might have recommended it as a special night for your hubby. The plus points to us have always been the whole deal i.e. the setting, ambience, service and value . I've always accepted that you can probably get better food in other establishments but they seem to have fallen down on one or two of these key points. As a cheroot smoker, myself, I accept that smoking in restaurants is abominal and abhorrant to other diners. Rank bad manners when you can walk a few yards if you need a fix. Having used Stay for quite a few years I still rate it as the whole deal is usually good. However on re-opening last year it did take them a few weeks to get over their teething problems . I hope this was just a one off but will check out on my next visit .

BonysLad :rolleyes
Old 28-09-2007, 02:09

Default Re: STAY

Thanks Bonyslad - I in no way hold you responsible!:lol It does have lots of potential methinks - if they had just got their act together and - well - you can't do a thing about other diners can you?

Let us know how you get on and I may chance a menu of the day one lunchtime.

Lala
Old 28-09-2007, 03:15

As I mentioned before, we had a great meal at lunchtime last year - everything was good and I couldn't fault a thing.

I knew we would be in for a bumpy ride when we ate there this year at night. The restaurant was so busy...people waiting for tables they had booked and the place packed to capacity. It takes a really top-notch establishment to keep up high standards when they're that busy.

I run a business with my parents and we have a small kitchen serving snacks and light meals. It can get very busy in the school holidays and I just know when we've lost it - you can sense the tension in the air (or I can). Things suddenly go from OK to panic and it's very difficult to get the control back. When our wine at Stay didn't arrive I knew that the staff had lost control.

It's also the faces of other diners - I could see a hint of desperation as they waited for someone, anyone, to come and take their order.

The setting is something special, no doubt about that. I can still see in my mind's eye, the sun slowly sinking over the town and those beautiful mountains...

Jane
Old 29-09-2007, 00:28

Jane - you have summed it up perfectly - there was a feeling of tension in the air. They had lost it - and to be honest judging by the long faces - a few customers. :rolleyes
Old 26-05-2008, 13:44

Default Stay

Hi there!

Having returned from PP in the last few days I was going to cover a lunch in Stay under a general post on lunches but I recalled that last year there had been a few comments posted.

One day last week as some will know was one horrible wet day and we decide try lunch inside, in Stay,as it wasn't a day for outside lunch, which we have done there on a number of occasions and very much enjoyed.

So, inside it was, place was not very busy and no trouble getting a table by the window, closer view of the rain bouncing on the deck and empty tables!

We got the menus and asked for and were directed to the snack section at front, had a look and decided what we wanted, after a little deliberation.

And waited, and waited!

Eventually order taken, now remember, it wasn't busy at all.

Ham sandwich for ma'am, which comes in three small rolls, and I choose , unlike me, hamburger, with chips and salad.

Glass of white wine for ma'am and glass of red for me.

Bread roll and butter arrived for me, not requested ,but was charged for separately, and the wine.

"Arggghhh! what is this??????????" I gasped, I will say I was distinctly unimpressed and leave it at that. Ma'am's seemed ok.Worst wine on the visit by a long chalk!

Food came, no complaints re the sandwich, very nice to look at and to eat.
The burger was excellent, the chips had been pre salted, as they often are but the salad looked fine on top but had been so drizzled with olive oil that at the bottom it was almost marinaded, and I skipped it.

Cafe solos to finish, fine.

So what was wrong?

On the day those who were in, seemed to be in for a rather larger lunch than we were, and on a day when outside eating was a non runner, we were entitled to better service, and the salad ?? a big NO NO!

I read through last years' posts and our experience seems to have been similar to others.

Porto

PS By evening the rain at least had gone off so no rain gear or umbrellas needed!

PPS And if we'd complained, at the relative cost, wouldn't have achieved anything
Old 26-05-2008, 15:59

Hi Porto,

I am interested to read this Porto. I know that there are a lot of Stay fans on this Forum and so feel a wee bit bad that I am - perhaps unfairly I recognise - judging it on one visit last September. That visit was for hubby's 40th birthday and I think that added to my disappointment in the truly dreadful service.

I found the food ok - but not exciting, the wine list extensive - but extortionately priced, but would have forgiven all of that for the view alone if they had actually just cared a little about serving people. Lots of unhappy faces among diners and a flurry of ineffective activity - but when they can't bring you your wine within 40 minutes (or actually you can't even order it) there is something seriously wrong. I am happy to sit and wait on food on holiday but that's if I have a glass of wine and maybe some bread/ olives to nibble on.

Sadly, first impressions stick. Be interested to hear if the service improves over the summer. If so, I might risk lunch. Maybe.

Lala
Old 26-05-2008, 20:52

We wont bother giving it another try unfortunately. Re reading the posts just brought it all back to me from last time. Even the lunch time quickie wasnt that good except for the view. Prefer la Llonga for lunch and evening meals to Stay. Packing people in and having the atmosphere of a cafe and charging a fortune hasnt done them any favours at all.
Old 26-05-2008, 22:32

Surprised by some of the comments on here. It just shows that every place has its bad nights. I've never had a bad experience at Stay but it really sounds like I've been lucky! I'll be back at Stay later this year - and it better be good
Old 27-05-2008, 00:26

I too am surprised at the latest reviews about Stay. Apart from the ridiculous picture menus,which I just don't get, I have alway found the service and food excellent and good value for money.

Just goes to show you can't please all of the people all of the time