Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-05-2008, 18:38

Default Porto's PP Dining

I said to a friend who knows PP well ,that this year I’d try some new places to eat , with a sprinkling of some I’d been to before.

Here we go then!

First night. IRU (new)
Just arrived, quick freshen up and in a bit after 9pm.
G and T’s to look at Menu. Went for Menu del Dia at 15 Euros.
Self first in all cases.
Chicken croquettes, and Caesar salad.
Estofado (beef stew with potatoes) for both.
Tiramisu for both.

Order taken for all three courses at start. Wines appeared to start at about 20 Euros, not compatible with an MDD at 15.So, a glass each of red at 4 euros, wine ok.
Beef stew tasty enough, meat had too much gristle, potatoes a bit hard.
My Tiramisu not thawed out fully, whole experience didn’t accord with what it says in the advert.

Service pleasant and attentive, but overall not a great start!

Second night. Miramar (resident)(new).
Arroz Marinera(excellent rice soup with mussels and prawns) and cream of spinach soup.
Mains, both stuffed roast lamb, with pine nuts and apricots, al dente veg and boiled potatoes. Came sliced much as you’d be served it in the UK.
Dessert, both crème catalana, crème brulee, if you wish, lovely!
Bottle Protas Tempranillo, 14% ,was enjoyed.

As residents we wanted to try eating in, yes, was fine, but altogether a different atmosphere from a dedicated restaurant, and it could be inside, or on the terrace, and of course is open to non residents.
I commented on the menu in “Evening Menus in PP 2008”
On a lovely evening a bit warmer than it was for us, very pleasant on the terrace , to combine with people watching!

Third night. Kashmir
I‘ve said before, we seldom ever do Indian in the UK but enjoy the ambiance in Kashmir sitting just inside or just outside, not way out in the square.

The veggie starters and poppadums can be a bit filling if you have eaten too much in the day but we enjoyed.
Ordered a bottle ot Lancers Rose to go with Lamb Khorma for self and Chicken Boona for ma’am.

Complimentary schnapps to finish, service good as we always find, but I’ve yet to see the owner guy break a smile!

Fourth night. La Fortaleza.
One does not travel far for one’s dinner, does one?
Had been here before so knew the form.
Pimientos de padron, well warned by Martin,but they all fired blanks!
Spinach croquettes, for ma’am, but of course we were sharing!

Shoulder of lamb, huge, lovely and succulent, just fell off the bone. If there’s a better one in town I’d like to find it!
Berenjenas rellenjas for ma’am. The aubergines stuffed with minced lamb. I suppose we had nice al dente veg and cubed roast potatoes to go but I can’t be bothered with writing it all down at the time!
Bread, olives alioli and a bottle of house red, as recommended by Martin.
Including the tip 52 Euros.

Fifth night. Miramar again.
The menu is posted from breakfast time so you can decide early whether you want to “stay in” and go for it, but if you do , better to reserve a table and time by early evening.
Veg and meat ball soup to start times two.
Ma’am chastises Porto slightly, “Do you have to let the waiter empty the tureen fully in to your plate?”

Two fillets white fish in a tomato sauce with finely chopped squid, and ma’am had pork escalope Cordon Bleu, followd by yummy chocolate mousse.
I had the cheese selection, very tasty but all very strong!

Washed down with a 2007 Mallorcan Chardonnay from Alaro, Oloron.

See here http://bp2.blogger.com/_H_lPMHWy388/...h/IMG_0662.JPG

Enjoyed it, seemed to go very well with our mains.

Sixth night. Los Faroles (new).

When you look in here you can’t imagine that it opens out through the back to a larger more roomy dining area and we were taken there by Juan, the owner/ manager/, I suppose.
Must admit the choice was influenced by Paneraiman’s report.

Today’s choice of fish brought to you on the trolley!

Choose stuffed mussels, while ma’am had sopa de garbanzos, the chick pea soup, which had some tripe in it, this eating in PP is a tough job but somebody has to do it.!

John Dory for us both, came smothered in wilted spinach and with a rich tomato sauce with pine nuts and raisins. Excelente cocina and not a bone anywhere!

Bread olives and alioli and a bottle of house white as again recommended by Juan!

Most diners were going for fish and we thought all the different dishes looked impressive. But boy ,oh boy, the portions!!

Meandered up to the square after that for a bit of night capping.

Seventh night . Brisa Marina (new)
That’s the one next to Bona Cepa.

Once again to try somewhere new to us, went for the Menu del Dia,
Three courses ,bread ,olives, wine and water, 14.90 inc the vat.
Cream veg soup and French onion soup. Normally I’d have expected the latter to be done with the onions browned ,but no ,their way was more with the onions cooked within a thick more creamy soup!

Sorry!

But John Dory again for self ,but this time grilled with a hint of garlic, the cubed roasties and the veg. We’d asked what the fish of the day was and were told JD and sea bream which ma’am had, but it came grilled whole, on the plate and with the bones it was a bit disappointing.

Crème catalanas for both, don’t we love them??

And to drink no we didn’t take the house white but took an Albarino white instead, but instead of paying the supplement we were charged for it separately. Better if we’d been told before opening it!

Eighth Night. La Fortaleza.

Big journey again.

Mussels mariniere and Ma’am took lightly battered prawns with mayo and a small salad.
Delicious, I tried ‘em.
Rabbit for me, had a long discussion with Martin, including where I’d had rabbit before and choose the grilled ½ rabbit rather than the rabbit stew , which is done with white wine onions and garlic. And was advised, to fully enjoy it ,was compulsory to eat with the fingers, which it was, to get all the meat.

Lamb chops for ma’am, customary small roast potatoes and al dente vegetables.
Again bottle of the House red, a 2003 Pinord? Tempranillo, and of course the bread olives and aioli.

What did we have for dessert?
La Fortaleza’s version of what do you call it!

By the end of the evening we were a bit too warm, have noticed that before in LF, but I suppose the air con is only on the the hottest weather. An observation, not a complaint,

We really enjoyed the food!

So that’s it folks!

Tried new places, supported family businesses, Mallorcan food, mostly!

Till the next time!
Sponsored Links
Old 28-05-2008, 20:32

Good stuff Porto - yum yum!

We had a disappointing (and expensive meal at Iru) last year. Always liked the look of the Miramar - must have a go based on your rec. You know I love the setting

Lala
Old 28-05-2008, 21:23

Great to read about your adventures in PP, Porto! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Of all the restaurants you mentioned, I have only been to La Fortalesa and that was a fair while ago. The stuffed mussels at Los Faroles sound delish.

Jane
Old 29-05-2008, 09:36

Smile

Thanks so much for an interesting read.I do like the sound of Los Faroles and although we have walked past this so many times we have never ventured in. I am a great fish hand and am not put off by bones (hubby on the other hand cannot bear to watch me dissect the Sunday morning Kippers) .

Is it worth a visit ?

Cheers

Scotty Lady
Old 29-05-2008, 10:24

Porto

Great post

ITU - I have never tried , though it has in the past been recommended ....... may not bother now

Kashmir - I never really fancy an indian when in PP but the teenagers alwasy do , so if we are there for 2 weeks, we usually end up in the Kashmir one evening ...... always happy with the meal and the service

La Fortaleza.- great favourite of ours ..... daughter has devoured their massive shoulder of lamb since it was almost as big as she was !

Los Faroles - again have never tried and will definitely have a go in July after reading your post
Old 29-05-2008, 18:30

I asked one of the locals recently what he considered the best restaurant in PP and he said "Los Faroles" .... definitely want to try that next time.
Old 29-05-2008, 18:35

Thumbs down La Font da Gall

Please see La Font de Gall thread

Last edited by Nicky; 29-05-2008 at 19:04. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 29-05-2008, 18:44

Linzzzz

We popped in to Los Faroles for lunch. We just wanted a lunchtime snack - therefore were treated with absolute contempt, served up greasy rubbish, then had to go inside and chase for the bill as we were left to our own devices outside. Our plates weren't cleared, our drinks were not refreshed - no service whatsoever.

I think it was because we weren't eating from their 'a la carte' menu and only wanted a snack. I must say the plates of the diners inside looked great, and it appears they got some service - but why treat us this way? We could quite easily have returned to spend substantial sums - but not now.

God, it sounds like I am whingeing away here doesn't it, what with La Font da Gall (above), but these were the only two bad experiences we had, and we ate out twice a day for a week with no other problems whatsoever.

Nicky
Old 29-05-2008, 18:45

Default Porto's PP Dining

Original post now removed

Last edited by Portofan; 29-05-2008 at 20:00. Reason: Removal of post
Old 29-05-2008, 18:51

Followed helpful instructions

Last edited by Nicky; 30-05-2008 at 17:30. Reason: Removal of post
Old 29-05-2008, 18:58

Cool

It is so dissapointing when a restaurant that has a good reputation for al la carte does not extend this to casual lunch or fixed price.

We often start off going to a place for lunch just to see how things are and if we are happy we then book a table for dinner as this is when you tend to spend more. We do this not just in PP but here at home.

Not a good advert but then you read another post stating that the locals rate Los Faroles highly mmmm.

Just have to make up my own mind then.

Scotty Lady
Old 29-05-2008, 19:09

Default Porto's PP Dining!

Becoming a bit of a hot potato this!

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes Scotty, like you we've been walking past this place, Los Faroles, for years and to be honest, between La Gola and the roundabout, on the front very few have we ever been in.

We went as Paneraiman had heard from Jose of Bony's this was the place to go, so we did.

Last edited by Portofan; 29-05-2008 at 21:09. Reason: Remove irrelevant text
Old 29-05-2008, 20:40

Los Faroles and Brisa Marina are, I'm pretty sure, owned by the same people so there are some similarities - stuffed mussels and the choice of fresh fish, for example.

Personally, I prefer Brisa - but we all have our favourites.