Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-05-2008, 00:55

Well, this is one restaurant that i definately wont be missing. As some of you know on here, i am a big fan of Stay, so i will be there this Aug. You just cant beat it for location, its got to be the best in the port, if not the island!
The last time we went there, it was nothing less than superb!
Tho, i havnt been there since it re-opened, so if it has gone downhill, i might just be eating my words!
Sponsored Links
Old 27-05-2008, 07:51

I will still go to Stay until I personally have a bad meal there.

Ok we all know that there are cheaper restaurants that you can go to but I must say that the food is just one part of the whole dining experience .Location is a definite plus and the atmosphere is another and on both these counts nothing to complain about.

Roll on the 14 June !

Scotty Lady
Old 27-05-2008, 13:58

I agree about the setting but perhaps its those amongst us that like to be able to hold a conversation without getting a headache that find it not to our liking! It is a popular restaurant obviously, so totally agree that we must all find out own taste (sorry) in these things. Could be that its better in a crowd rather than a couple?
Old 27-05-2008, 14:15

I have to agree with Bella on this - last year I really felt we were in a works canteen when we ate there. And a busy works canteen at that! Maybe it was because it was the height of the season, I don't know, but it's a big restaurant and a place has to be something exceptional to cope with large numbers and maintain excellent standards.

One of the things I disliked the most was the way the Maitre d' was speaking to his staff. I could sense the undercurrent of panic and that certainly doesn't make me feel relaxed!

Perhaps I would try it again outside of the busiest months, but never again in August!
Old 27-05-2008, 15:22

Smile

So interesting to read such differing opinions about the same place . I for one have never had a bad meal in Stay and as to the service I do recall one eveing last year when things were a bit hectic and we had to wait .But as this was the night of the firework display and we had a ringside seat we probably did forgive the dip in servce and thought no more about it.

Just as well we all have a differing opinions or we would all end up trying to get a table at a very select number of Restaurants !

All the best

Scotty Lady
Old 27-05-2008, 16:39

I havent been but wanted to give my comments as an avid food lover and chef...

People say that food is personal taste, I have to totally disagree here. OK, theres things some people may not like or not have a fondness of, but there is no excuse for poor tasteless food which I get the impression a lot of the problem is here. The way in which to cook and season ingrediaents is fact and not personal taste. Yes there are variables but the end product should always be cooked to a certain quality.

Too many restaurants, especially abroad, think that the location and decor along with food presentation is the key factors in what makes it memorable. Most are run by 'wannabe' chefs who think that mixing strange concoctions will intrigue the customers into a night in their venue.

The simplest of ingredients can and should taste amazing when served on their own providing its quality and fresh produce. Given most of spains climate and their reputation for being market leaders in veg and certain meats, you would think that it woudlnt be too difficult.

Eating what the locals do is a good indication of quality. I can almost guarantee any duck breasts and the like would be imported and possibly not fresh.

Last edited by Aeropars; 27-05-2008 at 16:42.
Old 27-05-2008, 17:50

Having followed this thread with interest as Stay has long been a favourite of ours, I really don't think that the occasional issues with Stay have anything to do with the flavour of the food & I have to say that unless you've been there, I really don't think that anyone comment on the quality of the food.

I will say that when we first went to the rebuilt Stay last Summer, there was a definite issue with the service. A lot of the staff were new as it had been closed for several months. The food was not brilliant but it was definitely not bland or tasteless. The biggest issue was definitely the service and we were very disappointed.

However when we went this Easter, ate inside and had the excellent set menu at around 30 Euros, it was definitely the best food we had eaten & the best value that whole week. Jose Maria was very keen to tell us how they had hoped that they had resolved the service issue by maintaining a core of staff throughout the winter. They were very aware of the complaints that had been made.

So if you haven't been for a while or not all, do give it another chance. Go for the menu as it such good value. And if you are not happy, do let the manager know.
Old 27-05-2008, 18:34

Red face

I can understand what you are saying holidaymaker, but its difficult to give things a second chance when you have a limited time and there are so many other restaurants that you know you have liked. Especially when you are taking friends or family with you, you dont want to go with a pre conceived idea that you are going to be disappointed.
I for one will wait until I see a change in the posts for Stay b y the people who are braver than me to give it a second chance! We also tried it at Easter time and it was supposed to have been a romantic meal for two, unfortunately I ended the night with a headache!! Truely!
Old 27-05-2008, 19:00

Belladona know what you mean about taking friends to a restaurant only to be dissapointed. We did this a couple of years ago with Ca'n Costa.Now the food was as good as ever but my sister and her boyfriend thought it too aloof and a bit pretentious ,they will not be back . So although the food is the main draw you do need to get all elements just right and that incudes service ,location and that certain magic ingredient that brings all the individual parts together .

Scotty Lady
Old 27-05-2008, 19:11
Super Moderator

Agree completely with Belladonna, my bad experience at La Fortalesa means the only way i would ever go there again is if new people take it over. I would rather spend my money where i know i will get good food,wine and service.
Old 27-05-2008, 19:56

Well said Bella - you have hit the nail on the head for me. There are so many good places to eat that you need 2 stomachs to get around them all.

That's why restaurants have to get it right first time, everytime.

Look forward to seeing glowing reports this year and then we'll consider giving it another go.

Lala
Old 28-05-2008, 16:08

Hello All,

I noticed the 'good value menu' comment but having looked at a menu i woudl say the prices are massivly hiked. So much so that i would demand perfection in every aspect for this price. As others have said, if they dont perform then there are plenty of alternatives that will.