Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-09-2007, 17:10
Pollensa Fan

Default chinese restaurants

Just back from another glorious two weeks in my spiritual home. First has anyone else noticed the chinese invasion. If you draw a circle around the neptuno of around 800 yards there are 8 chinese restaurants and two supermarkets.The owner of neptuno told me that whenever a property comes on the market they snap it up. You might like to know they are currently trying to buy the hibiscus. when is enough, enough. If this keeps up the whole caracter of the resort will be changed and not for the better.I'm supprised no one else has mentioned it bearing in mind the fuss made about the tex-mex.
Sponsored Links
Old 26-09-2007, 18:32

Yes Pollensa Fan we also noticed that more chinese restaurants had cropped up. Two very established restaurants ,now chinese are Monte Negro and El Pozo.

It's such a shame as I wonder how many are really good authentic places. Obviously people have different tastes and there's a place for all types of food be it chinese indian or tex mex..but only if the quality is good. I agree enough is enough!

The only chinese meal we have ever had was at Luna de Miel (by the taxi roundabout) in the Port. We jhad arrived late one cold January and there were few places open :\
Never again!! It was disgusting..greasy and 'monosodium glutomated ' to the max :eek YUK.

The invasion is spreading into Pollensa as well

Debs
Old 26-09-2007, 18:39

I noticed Montenegro as well - last year it was Mallorcan and I remember sitting at Cap de Canto and watching the place fill up. I was very surprised when we walked past this year and saw it was a Chinese restaurant.

What's this about Pollensa??:eek

Jane:\
Old 26-09-2007, 19:29

Default Re Chinese restaurants

Interesting point Pollensa Fan.

Thanks for raising it.

In ten years of visiting PP have never eaten Chinese. My view is hey you're in Mallorca Spain , eat to local tastes, as far as you can. Gave up on Chinese about five years ago, plain and simply fed up with it!:x

Too many now in my view, and Montenegro was always a landmark of sorts, though never been in it for many years.

Trouble is everywhere you go now in the UK there are so many Chinese and takeaways too. It would appear in PP there must be a demand for them!

No matter where you go in the world they spring up, even as I've found, in Korea! Just like the big yellow M!:eek :rolleyes

Sad though about PP, and even more surprising the old town. >D
Old 26-09-2007, 19:36

Default Re: Re Chinese restaurants

Ah yes! Now I come to think of it, I remember seeing two Chinese restaurants in the old town - one on the same street as Bar Nou and La Fonda and one right next to El Molino. I never saw anybody in either of them!

Jane
Old 26-09-2007, 23:35

Default Chinese Restaurants

Jane,

You obviously didn't look in Fuente de Oro at the right time! (The Chinese near to El Molino.)
It's very popular with both Mallorquin and British residents, and the food is really good (a distinct lack of monosodium glutomate.)

Give it a try!

Cheers!

Frito
Old 27-09-2007, 00:02

Default Re: Chinese Restaurants

Hi Frito!

I can't remember exactly what time we walked past - maybe 10.30pm...but it wasn't busy although we did stop and look at the menu.

I love Chinese food but I just can't bring myself to eat it in Mallorca. Too many good local restaurants to try and it's difficult enough choosing which one to eat at, the choice is so good! If I lived there permanently then it would be a different matter.

Jane
Old 27-09-2007, 00:59
Linzzzz

I was also surprised at the increase in the number of Chinese restaurants that have appeared since my visit last year. I always wonder how they all stay in business as whenever I walk past there is no-one in them, regardless of what time of day it is. It'll be interesting to see how many are still there this time next year.
Old 27-09-2007, 01:14

Agree totally - we don't want the place to be full of Chinese take aways and Tex Mex do we? I remember when Pascalino was a bit like Mistral then it became this weierd Chinese-and-everything-else place.

We usually end up having one Chinese meal when we are there for a fortnight - mainly because other half is not a great meat eater and it makes a nice change from Chicken and pasta/ pizza but also because if my little niece is with us she loves noodles. I wouldn't want to do it any more than that. Over the years we have eaten at a few...

Pascalino - when it first changed some-one said it was "wonderful" - :x Yuck! NOT recommended.

Luna Miel - I'm with Debz - minging greasy stuff, full of flies/ dirty windows. Grumpy staff - no no no!!!

El Pozo - nice enough food and pretty setting in the garden but HUGE cockroach in the loo :eek full of locals though...

Orient Chine something on Formentor Rd - imo the best if you must have a Chinese food fix. Roast duck very good.

This is happening everywhere unfortunately. We had a winter break in Lanzarote 2 years ago and counted 17 Chinese restaurants in Costa Teguise! :lol

Lala
Old 27-09-2007, 17:52

Only ever had chinese once - and once was certainly enough! Yep, it was at Luna Miel - totally disgusting, dreadful service and couldnt wait to leave. We too love our chinese but were never particularly interested in having it at PP, tried it once on a whim and will now stick to what they do best - Big Macs! ONLY JOKING!!!!
Old 27-09-2007, 23:41

Default RE:CHINESE RESTAURANTS

Interesting comments as just back from three weeks in China and believe it, or not, at weekends in both Beijing and Shanghai twenty yard queues both mid morning and mid afternoon at Macs, KFC and Pizza Hut. Only surpassed by Friday night when the local youths reject the chance to binge drink , followed by projectile vomiting a la our sceptred isle, in order to eat these wondrous dishes . Can't get a table for love nor money !!!

Funny old world, innit ??

Good point from Debs, let's hope quality prevails and only the good ( and few) survive . I don't think they can all be sustained as the tourist season ain't that long

BonysLad :rollin :rollin
Old 28-09-2007, 03:19

Default Re: RE:CHINESE RESTAURANTS

Bonyslad...

I've sent you a message to your EZinbox.

Jane
Old 28-09-2007, 19:16

Some will be happy to hear that chinese restaurant situated where Montenegro used to be is up for rent - maybe they've finally saturated the market!
Old 29-09-2007, 02:03

YAY!!!
Old 30-09-2007, 08:43
smiddy

Default Chinese Restaurants

Sorry folks, some of my favourite restaurants are already well documented, but i find both the Luna del Mel and the Pascalino are superb, i've been going to them for over a decade and find the staff some of the most pleasant hard working people in the port. If anything they kill me with kindness. I think some people get the wrong impression, but some of these kids are not long arrived from China and have to cope with all sorts of languages. Admittedly i'm not a expert on Chinese food, but i enjoy the whole experience.

PS: If the cooking dissapoints have a word with "Jose" the owner of the Pascalino, he will cook you a meal, he's a master chef.