Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-10-2010, 13:59

Totally agree Duncan. Good to have an adult discussion running for a while too. Just to give an example; I never eat tomatoes at home as find them totally tasteless and bland, when I am in Mallorca though, I cant get enough of them. The taste there is wonderful and my mum says they smell just like tomatoes did back in the UK when she was young.
Go with what you think is best for you where ever you happen to be!
Old 26-10-2010, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
Not wishing to get too embroiled in this discussion, but isn't it also true to say that favourite dishes, whether they be Indian, Chinese, Thai or any other speciality meals, often taste different because the basic ingredients have a different flavour?
IMHO, the chicken, lamb, pork etc in Spain (and also in Mallorca) have a completely different flavour than the same meats at home in the UK. Same goes for the vegetables too so most dishes with the same name here taste pretty different in PP. Both are good though!
I agree, the Iceland ready meals in BFS taste nothing like the ones back home
Old 26-10-2010, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Totally agree Duncan. Good to have an adult discussion running for a while too. Just to give an example; I never eat tomatoes at home as find them totally tasteless and bland, when I am in Mallorca though, I cant get enough of them. The taste there is wonderful and my mum says they smell just like tomatoes did back in the UK when she was young.
Go with what you think is best for you where ever you happen to be!
So true, Bella - we have salad lunches there every day and there is never a scrap left! Not just the tomatoes, but the cucumber tastes different - and as for the potatoes - they are just so creamy and have such a distinctive flavour. Before the savage baggage weight restrictions, we used to bring tomatoes, onions and potatoes back with us!
Old 26-10-2010, 15:58
Super Moderator

Guys, if you want to talk about how things taste different in the UK please start a new thread.
This thread is about Stephens 10 days eating in PP. Thank you.
Old 26-10-2010, 20:05

Thanks Sparky
.....anyway,when I ordered a mixed grill(or parrillada mixta if you prefer) in Hells Kitchen I was asked would I like mustard with it.
I was brought a plate with 4 tiny individual dishes with American(I think) English,Wholegrain and Dijon mustards,each with their own little spoon.
A nice touch I thought.
Old 26-10-2010, 20:09

I was there at the same time as Stephen and have to say come rain or shine its got to be one of the best times of year for me..
Having said that, cost has gone up but the quality has dropped in some eating places, is it the end of the season or is it people are just getting lazy?
Old 27-10-2010, 12:50

So, Sparky, what we're all dying to know is..... did Stephen eat tomatoes during his ten days in PP and if so, were they better than British ones?

Sorry.....couldn't resist!

Duncan
Old 27-10-2010, 13:58

Try harder!
Old 27-10-2010, 14:26

Having been in PP at the same time as Stephen and Celloman, can't agree with the latter re costs having gone up.

We spent less in the evenings, perhaps for health reasons, than financial ones, in going for a glass of wine with dinner, as opposed to a bottle.

Two years ago the Hotel Miramar dinner was 19 Euros plus drinks. This year 19 Euros with a good sized glass of acceptable wine and a bottle of water to boot.

Centric two years ago was 15 Euros for the MDD with a bottle of wine and this year, 13 Euros but with a glass of wine.

La Llonja used too be 28 Euros plus the VAT and this year 27 euros including.

Brisa Marina same price now as two years ago at 14.90 for MDD.

Sparky has always insisted that many bars and restaurants have held and in some cases reduced their prices and certainly going around we found that to be the case.

Sparky Pricewatch!

and Weatherwatch!
Old 27-10-2010, 17:04

Fair point Portofan. Prices have been held at or below these last 2 years,however I did think that this year I had a couple of meals(maybe 3)that I wouldn't have been happy to pay for,had they been here in England.
Regarding drinks:I think 3E for a couple of halves is on a par with my local and is a fair price to pay,but 4 and 4.5 is too expensive. Our night-time tipple of choice,red wine,was between 9.8E and 14.9E and considering you can buy a decent bottle at the supermarket for less than 4E,I reckon that's about at the top end of affordabilty.
Old 27-10-2010, 18:47

I'm with porto on this one! We also found the restauarants as good value if not better than previous years, and the MDD at La Llonja for 27 € cannot be beaten on price and quality and is 2 € cheaper than last year (and that includes a bottle of good quality wine!).

To Stephens point on red wine being between 9 and 15 Euros, this is cheaper than a decent house wine in the UK and to be fair there has to be a mark up on supermarket prices.
Old 30-10-2010, 01:38

Let's face it, Spain AND Mallorca prices have rocketed over the years. It was about 20 years ago that you could have 'a very cheap holiday' in Spain, but no longer. Its just as expensive as the UK now, or even more so! Sign of the times, i'm afraid.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:31

I agree Jiggggy the prices are with out doubt more expensive than the UK right across the board, regardless of wether a few restaurents have reduced their prices ,for which they are too be commended for. But travelling as a family it is now very expensive.
Old 30-10-2010, 12:03
Super Moderator

All i can say is in the UK the cost of eating out must be much cheaper up north. I can get a bottle of house white here for 9€, when i was in Plymouth in Feb i was paying £15 for it.
Here i can get a 3 course MDD lunch including bread, olives and drink for as little as €9 pp and Stay do an MDD dinner which includes bread, olives, appetiser, 3 courses, half bottle of wine, coffee and liqueur for 33€ pp. In Plymouth i paid £30 pp for just a starter, main and wine.
Old 30-10-2010, 13:37

I cant agree prices have rocketed, the only time they did was with the change over to the Euro, they used the chance to round up all the prices, I still pay 1.50 euro for a small beer or 3.50 for a large one, you also must remember the variation around the country, I paid £3.50 for a pint of San Miguel last night. If you eat in the right places is so much less than the equivalent here, and as for wine, don't all restaurants aim to make twice the price they buy wine from, if it costs £6 in the shops they sell it for £12, like here?

On island time!!