Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Eating out report 1-11 October (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/6697-eating-out-report-1-11-october.html)

Rosie34 15-10-2010 16:04

Eating out report 1-11 October

We had so many new restaurants to try this time thanks to forum suggestions!
We were staying in Pinaret in a lovely apartment so most of them were well within walking distance.

So the first night after we arrived we decided to try Fletchers – but when we got there, Maureens sister was just putting up a notice to say they were closed that evening. So we went back to Tolos, and were shown a table, given the cruet set, and asked for a menu and then – nothing! We sat there for 10 minutes with nothing happening and no sign of a menu, so got up and walked out! As we didn’t feel like walking any further we went into Torre Playa which was quite near the apartment – we went there 5 years ago and said we’d never go back – but ………….

I ordered the Chilli de Padron to start – and was presented with a dish piled high with greasy green chillis – looked as if someone had just got a handful and threw them on the plate – they tasted disgusting as well. When the waiter came to take the dish away, he seemed surprised that I didn’t like them! OH had Pica Pica tuna dish which was ok. Spinach Tortelloni for my main – I think they got a packet from the Supermercado round the corner and then cooked them badly as they were stuck together and the sauce was a dead ringer for Heinz tomato soup! Ugh! OH had Mushroom Risotto which was ok. The bill including mandatory roll and butter (no alioli), 2 waters and a glass of wine came to over 46 euros.

Rating 1/5 – the wine was quite good!

Next night

Fletchers was open!! What a difference – friendly welcome – Maureen explained that they had people over from Scotland and had a bit of do at home.

I had Chicken Tempura to start – absolutely delicious and beautifully presented. OH had the Bruschetta – which he loved. For my main it was Chicken rolled in bacon with veg and mustard mash – again looked good and tasted even better. OH had the Pork and mustard mash – also delicious. I had 2 glasses of wine and OH 2 bottles of water and coffee. Total bill 30euros (also had on the house schnapps)

Rating 5/5 And thanks to the forum person who recommended it!

Next night

Bella Roma.

Bruschetta to start , which was good.

Then came the bread – strange sequence!

I had Chicken escalope for my main – which was hiding some soggy chips underneath – why? OH had the Lasagne, which he said was good. The bill, including 1 glass of wine and 2 waters and a coffee came to over 48euros, which, compared with Fletchers, was a bit steep!

Rating 3/5

Next night

Siurell

Lovely friendly welcome

For the first time a restaurant serving paella for one! I had the veggie and OH the mixed one – both delicious. The bill, including my one glass of wine, and 2 waters and coffe was 26 euros! (plus the on the house scnapps).

Rating 5/5 (Thanks again to the forum member who recommended)

Next night

Got a warm welcome from the staff at Piazza! We had the pizze – absolutely gorgeous. We have eaten pizze many times in Italy, and have to say that those at Piazza are every bit as good. (well we think so anyway!) The bill, including my glass of with and 2 waters, bread and alioli/olives, and coffee was just over 30 euros. (plus the on the house schnapps)

Rating 5/5

Next night

Back to Siurell

We had the MDD at 13.50 each. I had Tumbet to start and OH had Calamares – delicious – best Tumbet I’ve had! Then we both had Chicken Toscana – also delicious. Bill including bread/alioli/olives, 2 waters, my wine and coffee – 30euros.

Rating 5/5

Next night

Another forum suggestion – Hostal Bella Vista

Lovely courtyard setting – except our table was under the massive fig tree and the figs started leaking all over my light trousers! I just noticed the awful spreading red stain! Anyway, we moved tables and the stain did come out.
We had the MDD at 13.50. Spinach Strudel for me, which was just divine – I could have eaten it forever! OH had the tortilla, which he drooled over. I had the stir fry curry for main which was gorgeous – just a hint of curry, and not overpowering – very subtle. OH said his mushroom risotto put the Torre Playa to shame! OH – Pear in wine to finish and I had Tiramisu. Bill including usual wine and water and coffee was 33 euros.

Incidentally, this is a totally vegetarian restaurant, and just use in season produce – they never know what the menu will be till the day – it all depends on what the chef decides to get.

Rating 4/5 (1 off for the naughty fig tree!)

Next night

So we set off to Fletchers but it started to threaten rain so we opted for C’an Josef, which has had rave reviews on the forum.

We had to ask for the MDD at 16.95. Had bread/alioli etc, and ravioli as the starter. We had Beef in red wine/caramelised onions for main and warm apple tart, which was very good. My glass of wine was a large one (and accordingly priced!) No on the house schnapps though! The meal was good, but Fletchers still has the edge for presentation and value for money.

Rating 3/5

Next night

Back to Fletchers! Bread/alioli/olives. Bruschetta to start followed by the Chicken/Bacon and Pork/mustard mash (but swapped over!), 2 waters, 2 glasses of wine (don’t know why I always drink more at Fletchers!) Bill 29 euros (plus the on the house schapps, which by now Maureen knew to give to me!)

Rating 5/5

Next night

We set off for Bella Vista but once again the rain started just as we were passing Simbads. There are just so many menus pasted everywhere. OH thought he had ordered the MDD – he had the most enormous dish of Mussels to start, which he declared were the best he’d ever had. I ordered the Frito Mallorquin expecting a small tapas dish – but it was a main course size and before I’d got half way through – I was stuffed! But then I’d ordered the steak (medium/well) – this came oozing blood and surrounded by a pile of boiled potatoes and veg. OH had the half chicken etc. It was ok but very rushed and staff a bit off hand, but then it was very busy. We wouldn’t rush back again. It always looks the busiest place whenever we pass there. The annoying thing was that when we emerged, it was a lovely clear night – so we had missed the Bella Visa pizze! The bill was a whopping 48 euros for an indifferent meal.

Rating 2/5 (OH loved his mussels)

Last night

We were intending to go to Bella Vista again, but once again rain threatened (this was the night before the big storm on Tuesday), so off we went to Siurell again. We ate inside this time as it had been raining during the day and was quite cool.

We didn’t bother with starters as we were still full from Simbads – but asked for some bread and alioli – but after 15 minutes there was no sign of it and we reminded the waitress who apologised and then brought it, but 2 minutes later our mains arrived, so never got round to it really! OH had seafood paella and I had chicken breast in green pepper sauce – both delicious. I think the bill was about 36 euros but not sure. Anyway, it was the usual good value.

Rating

3/5 (Service a bit inattentive!)

So, Bella Vista and Fletchers and Siurell are the star turns in our opinion, both for quality of food, presentation, ambience (although Fletchers does get a bit noisy due to the tv – but it was the X Factor!) and value for money.

Sorry this has been a bit long-winded – got carried away!

sws97sdg 15-10-2010 19:16

Great report Rosie thanks for posting, did you make notes, two things, didn't make it to Hostal Bella Vista in the summer but so looking forward to going next time. also where is Siurell, the veggie paella sounds great?

Sparky 15-10-2010 19:27

Rosie great report thank you for taking the time to do it.

SWS, Siurell is behind the Restaurant Llenaire just past the Galleon.

Rosie34 15-10-2010 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by sws97sdg (Post 51373)
Great report Rosie thanks for posting, did you make notes, two things, didn't make it to Hostal Bella Vista in the summer but so looking forward to going next time. also where is Siurell, the veggie paella sounds great?

Yes - as I've got a lousy memory - I did jot down a few notes after and tried to keep most of the bills!;)

Belladonna 15-10-2010 23:12

Rosie - brilliant post, good idea for the "out of 5" rating. Glad you liked Siurell.
We have never tried Fletchers, but it certainly sounds like one for the list.

Pollpott 15-10-2010 23:50

Thanks Rosie, great report. Like Belladonna says, good idea to give marks out of five. Never heard of Siurell but certainly worth a visit next year by the sound of it.
T

Sparky 16-10-2010 00:15

Tony, Siurell has been there for many years although i have to confess i have never been there.

Stevo66 16-10-2010 08:03

Been coming to PP for over 30 years.Never been to Siurell or Bella Vista.Please tell me where they are.

Rosie34 16-10-2010 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo66 (Post 51384)
Been coming to PP for over 30 years.Never been to Siurell or Bella Vista.Please tell me where they are.

For Siurell, go down along the main 'prom' towards Pinaret and the Gola bridge, keep going until you come to the Galeon hotel, and Siurell and the Llenaire restaurants are on the corner just past the hotel.

Hostal Bella Vista is on Carrer des Monges:

From the roundabout in the port, walk along the front past the perfume shop, the new Sports Bar and the tobacconist etc.
You will have the taxi rank, Tourist Info and bus stop over on the other side of the street on your left. Carrer des Monges is the next road on your right - it's a one way street. If you are driving, you will hopefully find parking in the port area car park.
Just walk up Carrer des Monges, past the pedestrianised street, and Hostal Bellavista is then on your right.

I hope you find them ok - I had never heard of them either without the forum!

Rosie:)

Stevo66 16-10-2010 08:42

Thank you Rosie.Out again next month so shall try them both if they are open.

Sparked 22-10-2010 21:30

I 100% Recommend Siurell. Top quality food and a very friendly welcome. :D

cumberland8 24-10-2010 22:52

Thanks Rosie, we will certainly try Bella Vista & Siruelle.I also liked the markings, & agree Tollos needs to sort their grub out.

kate1 31-10-2010 16:39

Having just got back we tried Siurell for the first time - to be honest our meal was nothing special for the price (97E for two adults meals with starter and main course, and two children's meals with main course and pudding, plus bread and wine). I wouldn't expect to pay much more than this at Stay. However, I noticed (on the way out!) that pretty much everyone apart from us was having the MDD, which was available in the evening and looked both good and excellent value. A family next to us were sharing a seafood paella which they were clearly enjoying. The place was really busy, mostly regulars by the look of things - I guess if you live in Llenaire you would very much treat it as your 'local'. So: I would definitely go back, especially as they are such lovely, friendly people, but would have the MDD next time.